Fixies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I know some of you swear by them, but im struggling to see that they are anygood for anything other than track. I mean you cant have your feet in position where you want or stop pedaling when the need arises, seems unsafe to me, and doesnt pedal scrape come into it on some occasions?

They're just lots of fun. You soon get used to their nuances, and it's pretty easy to stop with your feet in roughly the right place most of the time. You don't stop pedalling, but you sort of do, in that you stop pushing on the pedals and use your legs to do the braking. Try one, they're great.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
I dont know anyone with one near me, for that matter Iv never seen one. dont think its something I would take to very well.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
col said:
I dont know anyone with one near me, for that matter Iv never seen one. dont think its something I would take to very well.
They become very natural after a while and then gears and freewheels seem weird. I miss my fixie, but I can't justify a new one right now.

first road bike i rode was a fixie (other than a quick 5min go on a friends racer when i was 9) borrowed it for a couple of hours with some flat pedals on it,

was great fun, no scrape, the only issue was timing my turning to avoid overlap when weaving under a subway or doing a u turn at slow speed, other than that i was going to buy it.

didn't in the end for various reasons relating to money.

I'm thinking of getting one col - they seem like fun! I rarely change gear when commuting and it seems like a 'natural progression' :wacko: (any excuse:smile: )
The most interesting bit would be the slopes I think. Here in London they are like a rash - as most know.
I'm not going for the cut down bars look though to help me filter through traffic - that's for posers. I'm going for the hardcore version which is a steerer tube with a handlebar grip. With my spare hand I'll be able to scroll through my Fatboy Slim playlist, or tuck in my Rapha /Paul Smith hunting vest. :biggrin:

It's longer's fault anyway - he posted his new bike pic last week! :smile:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
It's just another bike to keep clean...

Seriously, though, I was really impressed at the antics of the three fixie riders on the CC ride on Tuesday. Particularly when one of them attempted to ride a BMX stunt track and hit his bottom bracket on a mini mountain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm planning on getting one for the commute - much less stuff to go wrong, and it will increase my 'souplesse'....and my route has a big hill at the start/end on the return...

AdamBlade

I recently tried a Marin Hamilton which was a singlespeed with the option of flipping the back wheel to make into a fixie. It seemed ok but living in Sheffield, wasn't sure how it would fair with all the hills. What are they like with hills? I ended up going for a Giant CRS for commuting.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
AdamBlade said:
I recently tried a Marin Hamilton which was a singlespeed with the option of flipping the back wheel to make into a fixie. It seemed ok but living in Sheffield, wasn't sure how it would fair with all the hills. What are they like with hills? I ended up going for a Giant CRS for commuting.

Hard work - it's hilly where I live - just over the other side of the hill from you....my commute is OK heading West, but if I go South, East or North it's hilly - I'm planning on getting a flip flop, with two ratios - one for work, and one to get out the other side.....:wacko:

MajorMantra

Borrow one from a bike shop and try it. You may hate it or you may suddenly get what the fuss is about. I had a few minutes on a borrowed Langster and I was hooked. Now I ride a fixed Genesis Flyer everywhere.

Pedal scrape has never been an issue, though of course it's something to be aware of when cornering hard. Why would you want to stop pedalling?:rofl:

Matthew

bonj2

col said:
I know some of you swear by them, but im struggling to see that they are anygood for anything other than track. I mean you cant have your feet in position where you want or stop pedaling when the need arises, seems unsafe to me, and doesnt pedal scrape come into it on some occasions?
when stopped (with one foot on floor and one clipped in), hold front brake, push forward on bars, lift clipped in pedal to top of rotation.

Top Bottom