Fixing chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Hey, it's me again :hello:

A link in my chain has partially disintegrated. It's a SRAM pc1110 (or something similar, can't remember the exact model). 11speed chain on Shimano casette/chainring. I only have a KMC 11sp missing link or Shimano 11sp chain pins.
Are either of these ok to join the cable back together?
Will there be any issues since the chain will be 1 bit shorter?
Is joining the chain ok as a semi permanent fix or is it only meant for get you home situation? I was only planning using the current chainset until summer-ish..

Thanks as always! :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Well, I went ahead and tried replacing the broken link with the kmc missing link, at least that way the chain is the same length. Went for a little run and seems ok

Could I run this for a few more months or should I really be looking at a new chain?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, I went ahead and tried replacing the broken link with the kmc missing link, at least that way the chain is the same length. Went for a little run and seems ok

Could I run this for a few more months or should I really be looking at a new chain?

Chains are cheap. Replace immediately.

There's no way in the world I'd ride one fixed with potentially incompatible parts other than to get me home.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
KMC missing link on an SRAM chain will be fine as long as its correct for the speed of the chain which it is.
This being said like @roubaixtuesday says chains are cheap and I would probably replace soon as if things are starting to fail.

OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Thanks both, yeah problem is a new chain on my worn casette & ring would likely skip all over the place, I'd have to replace the lot and I can't afford that just yet :sad:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Rings usually have more longevity than a cassette, obviously dependant on how many miles your bike has on it but you may find it's ok with a new chain.
If money is an issue then yeah just keep riding it as it is, can't see much issue in that personally if everything is being replaced soon anyway.
Argument for N+1..........:whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had this on a KMC chain: I was pleased to get home. One of the sideplates had parted (radial crack from pin to end). In retrospect I had felt something 'a bit funny'.
Cleaning the chain at home - I use kitchen towel to wipe wipe after a good squirt of xxXX - it got 'caught'. On inspection another of the links had gone in the same way. Replaced with a new KMC chain (and cassette at the same time, both in box). Happened again on that chain (?same batch?) - caught while cleaning. KMC went on my 'do not buy' list, though I appreciate many have not had this KMC 'fail' experience.
Recommend a careful close inspection of the cleaned chain before any further use. The quicklink is not a weak link, iyswim. When riding on, be extra sensitive to any little clicks or the like.
As @speedfreak says, provided the link's an 11sp you'll be fine: make doesn't matter.
There was a less expensive 11sp chain linked in a recent post in the spot a bargain thread, iirc.

Last edited:
If one side plate as cracked, then there may be more on the way out as well.
Another vote to replace the chain ASAP.
If you cannot/don't want to replace the chain then I'd carry a chain tool and some spare missing links just in case something starts to fail when your out.
That way you can keep the running repairs going until you can replace everything.

Luck ......... :biggrin:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I had a KMC chain do that a couple of years ago. Repaired with a spare missing link and carried on using the chain until the usual .75% worn. It did get regularly inspected and no other plates cracked.

presta

Guru
I once had a chain break across the rivet hole on an outside plate. I felt something give as I accelerated from a standstill, then heard the regular click as it passed through the derailleur. I stuck it on the largest sprocket to minimise the tension, then rode it 5 miles home pedalling gently. I got off and wheeled it across a couple of busy junctions where I couldn't have avoided accelerating hard. I carry enough to repair it, but it wasn't worth getting my fingers greasy at the side of the road when I was that close to home.

I repaired it with a split link until the new chain arrived.

Top Bottom