Fixing Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foolsgold

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am currently trying to adjust and fix my front derailer. After looking on the internet for advice etc. I thought I would be fine. But when I adjusted it when in the highest gear my pedal kept hitting the tied off cabel which it never did before, so I put it back to the position it was before. Now when in the hardest gear the chain keeps hitting the derailer, i have tried adjusting the upper and lower limits. Can anyone help? I'm unsure about the tension etc. too.

Also, I want to fix my back derailer too, but not started that yet.

I would rather try this for myself to learn before handing it to bike shop.

Thanks.

papercorn2000

You need to tighten the cable just a touch to pull it away from the mech.

peanut

if you tell us the type of bike you have, the model and the make and the make of the gears (Shimano/Campag etc ) together with the number of front chain rings and rear cassette sprockets we might be in a position to help .
otherwise google Shimano Service for instructions

OP
OP
F

foolsgold

My bike is a Giant Defy 3 road bike. Gears are Shimano Sora. Triple ring at the front and 9 rings at the back. Any ideas? Thanks.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
foolsgold, your best bet is to run through the setup instructions on Shimano's website.

Print them, take them to the garage with you, and work through it step by step. The instructions have a guide to troubleshooting at the end if you find that the derailleur inner plate hits the chain at certain points. Remember that the high/low limit screws exist ONLY to stop the derailleur dropping the chain off your chain rings - everything else is down to tension in the shifting cable.

Also, if the problem you're experiencing is the cable end hitting your pedal, could you not just tuck the cable end away/reposition it? (Assuming you're happy with the shifting &c otherwise).

peanut

foolsgold said:
My bike is a Giant Defy 3 road bike. Gears are Shimano Sora. Triple ring at the front and 9 rings at the back. Any ideas? Thanks.

it sounds like you need to reset the entire transmission system.

heres the Shimano Service site instructions.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

Its simply too much to expect someone to laboriously type it all out on here for you. I have done it before but it is just as simple to give you the link.

Make sure you save it to your favourites or bookmarks for future reference

Any problems come back and also go to youtube and use the search for video guides

Top Bottom