fi'zi:k Finishing Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Looking to replace my stem with a shorter one. Have tested and settled on a 100mm over the 110mm that have fitted as standard. Pretty much settled on the fi'zi:k Cyrano R1 stem in 7 degree drop. Just interested in any feedback from people who have this stem? Also interested in potential other options too?

Taking the above further, I am tempted to replace the bars too, once I measure myself and compare to the standard setup. Would like Carbon aero bars, but don't want to spend that on bars alone. So looking to match the finishing kit throughout and grabbing the fi'zi:k kit again. Are carbon bars worth the spend or not? I hear pros and cons online.

Finally, the seatpost. Guess what I am looking at...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Dodging the majority of this, when you have tested/measured to find that 100mm is best for you, did you also test the angle? Just to make sure that both the angle and length are the same in the stem you want to buy as in the testing you did. If not, do so, else the length required to get your ideal reach with one angle stem will vary from a different angled stem.

As for if carbon bars are worth it, IMO, they won't be. They might be if you bought aero profile bars and were looking for gains in the range of a couple of watts here and there (these gains are imperceptible and would only be detected under very good aero testing and/or in race times, if you had a lot of past data), but I am assuming you aren't. Weight wise, most good alu bars provide equal or greater specs for less cost.

Personally, I have found the difference between various stems, bars, seatposts, in terms of feel and experience of use to be inperceptible (bar the comfort of the shape) and I am probably more demanding on the kit than the majority of riders. Buy the bars that fit properly and that you like the look of, match the stem and seatpost to them if you want matching kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Good point @Rob3rt. I swapped the 100mm stem from the Defy 1 onto my Bianchi. Then matched the angle to that of the Bianchi, without thinking of the angle on the Defy being different. Any ideas on angle from the Defy 1 2014?

Top Bottom