Fizik Saddle Fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To my surprise, my Fizik pave CX saddle has just failed on me, cracked right in half across the saddle! Now I am not a light guy being 6'3" but I am not a big build either, being fairly slim so quite shocked to have this fail.

At 1st I heard some creaking so slowed right down and rolled about in a local park to try identify the source, I was concerned it was the frame creaking since it was creaking even when I wasn't pedaling and with the pedals essentially unweighted and doing it over even the slightest bumps. After some odd looking riding trying to find the source I decided to stop and push on the saddle to make the bike creak so I could listen better and hopefully find the creak, lo and behold the saddle bent easier than ever when pushed and the creak was obviously from the seat area, having looked underneath, the shell is completely snapped.

Oh well, good excuse to get rid since I hated that saddle anyway!

Going to have to ride with a backup white saddle on my all black bike for a few days now though....... bummer!

Pic's to come when I take it off.

lordloveaduck

If Jesus can walk on water, then you should man up and ride without a saddle:evil:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Did you have any difficulty fitting the saddle, ie did the rails slot into the clamp easily?

6' 3" is hardly exceptional: warranty?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I guess a warranty claim is out then, but Fizik may well be interested to receive your saddle in order to understand why it failed (could be something in it for you).

The failure suggests that the rails were pulled closer together than they were designed for, causing a stress fracture along the centreline: this could either be because the clamp was too narrow or the rails were too wide; both of which could be down to them being beyond manufacturing tolerances.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well it didn't split lengthways (nose to arse end) is split sideways. I hated the thing anyway so not bothered about it really, of course I would have liked to choose when to splash on a new saddle, but....

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well here are the images!

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0786.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have just done so (thats mainly why I took these photo's), waiting for a reply so I can send the pic's! Not expecting them to replace it or anything although I would be very happy if they offered me some sort of discount on a new saddle :tongue: Probably going to buy a Prologo instead though.

The failure is not immediately dangerous, at least not in my case, so if you are using this saddle if it fails (I doubt it will, probably an isolated case) then you can ride home on it, it will just sag in the middle a bit and make a creaking sound.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Update, Fizik have contacted me thanking me for the heads up. The correspondent suggested that I fill in a claim form (so that I can submit photo's as the other general contact form doesnt allow this) and that they will evaluate the situation. I have now sent the required photo's and description to the technical department as instructed. Now to wait and see what they say.

Steve H

Large Member
I had a Fizik saddle and it failed in exactly the same place. Mine was only 6 months old though. I returned to wiggle (where I bought it) and they refunded me without question. Not sure if you well get the same if it is 3 years old.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I had a Fizik saddle and it failed in exactly the same place. Mine was only 6 months old though. I returned to wiggle (where I bought it) and they refunded me without question. Not sure if you well get the same if it is 3 years old.

Do you know the saddle model? If you know it, or can find out, that would be helpful and I will pass on the information to Fizik or link them to this thread. It might help them out to improve their products.

I am not even contemplating speaking to the retailer since I don't really have a case, or the inclination to pursue any action. This dialogue is pretty much for Fizik's benefit (and other people riding this saddle, or other Fizik saddles). I don't expect anything in terms of replacement or compensation from Fizik. If they do offer something by way of good will, that is above and beyond what they are obliged to do IMO.

Generally speaking, I am under the impression that their products are very good and are of high quality so hopefully this is an isolated case and just a bit of bad luck, my Arione Tri 2 saddle seems pretty nice, but it hasn't seen much use.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Do you know the saddle model? If you know it, or can find out, that would be helpful and I will pass on the information to Fizik or link them to this thread. It might help them out to improve their products.

I am not even contemplating speaking to the retailer since I don't really have a case, or the inclination to pursue any action. This dialogue is pretty much for Fizik's benefit (and other people riding this saddle, or other Fizik saddles). I don't expect anything in terms of replacement or compensation from Fizik. If they do offer something by way of good will, that is above and beyond what they are obliged to do IMO.

Generally speaking, I am under the impression that their products are very good and are of high quality so hopefully this is an isolated case and just a bit of bad luck, my Arione Tri 2 saddle seems pretty nice, but it hasn't seen much use.

As I have 3 Fizik saddles on my bikes I will watch this thread with interest.
One of them is the aliante version with carbon rails. I emailed Fizik asking if there were any limits on it and the reply I received implied they were ok and didn't carry any restrictions.
I have not had any problems with them and the oldest is 4 years old now.
Could you please post any updates on the matter if you receive any further replies from Fizik.
Thanks

e-rider

crappy member
I have four fizik saddles and I weigh 18 stone! Never had a problem with any of them. I will now be slightly more worried than before reading this thread though!

Top Bottom