Flagpoles - Material and suppliers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The new chainring has arrived, and the Trice is nearly ready to go. It came with the ICE safety flag, but I have another on order from Rainbow Kites, which will require a new pole.
Am I best to go with fibreglass rod, or carbon? Is tube or rod best? And where can I get the stuff, I need it to be longer than 1 metre I think..

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Firstly do you need a new pole?

Most flags can be removed from the pole, and reused. Helen's flags have a generous sleeve that will allow fitting

However to answer he question

Depends on the flag, and bike fittings

Some trikes have a socket that determines the size

6mm is light and flex, suitable for a small flag, but a large flag at speed can de almost horizontal. 8 mm is flex, but will maintain a more purity position

I tries Carbon rod, but found it brittle and cracked quickly at stress points, the first time you notice is when you get splinters, which isn't nice, so I always use solid fibre glass rod

Also when ordering the rod, get half a dozen clips to help secure the flag. You only need one or two, but they can be lost so a spare is handy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZaGm0YGL3k8pkccLnFq-Loa9YegKyuDaLPuOYP8w_rQLQJkc.jpg

Tilley

Über Member
When I wanted to fit a windsock to my Trice I bought a cheap telescopic fishing rod. All but the very end rings were removed and the handle was modified such that it fitted into the end of the seat tube. Very cheap and effective option and not difficult to achieve.

Always Cross

Veteran
I went to the local bike shop and they had a cheap kiddies flag and pole for £4. With the brackets to fit it onto the bike. It had a Winne the Poo flag which I didn't think would be too manly so took that off and put mine on. Someone had said to my wife those recumbents are dangerous as they can't be seen. So she ordered me a wind sock the only problem was when it arrived it was 6 foot long so I cut it in half and put each half on the 2 flag poles. Being a bit of a skin flint I gorilla tape them on they've been on for about 3 months. I have a bike and a trike the trike has an Ice flag and pole and now a bit of wind sock.

Always Cross

Veteran
I agree with you but It's easier to agree with the wife and be able to ride without ear ache.:smile:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
"The one vehicle everybody sees is a recumbent trike." I totally agree with that one. It's a real pleasure to be on the road on my trike

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Certainly got noticed this morning riding around Windsor Great Park. Lots of interested looks, hellos from walkers and joggers that you never get on an upwrong, and a 'WOW' from a little lad on his bike:smile:

Top Bottom