Flandrien Challenge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger1

Veteran
Has anyone on here tried the FC? https://www.cyclinginflanders.cc/flandrien-challenge

5 of us have booked a long weekend in Oudenaarde in May next year, and one of us has suggested we try the FC. We're all reasonably proficient on a bike and all did the Grand Depart this year for Prostate Cancer (114miles but flat), but this seems to be a step up. A few have completed Bristol to Paris and couple have attempted the Etape (2018), so not averse to hills/mountains/multi day rides.

Although we're there for 4 days, we'd probably try for the 3 day challenge, allows us a celebratory blow out on the Saturday night! Although if the feedback is to do the 4 day one we can do!

Any tips/tricks or training plans would be great!

Alex321

Veteran
Ollie from GCN did it (in one day!) a few months ago

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFG_PWkdArY

I stayed in Oudenaarde for one night of my September lowlands tour. Did 4 of the "bergs" and had coffee at the museum- Koppenberg was really jolly hard (with luggage)!
I quite fancy a return trip like yours, but not sure the best route/challenge to ride.

The logistics of all the routes on the "official" web-site involve transfers at end-of-day, I think? I'd probably rather do loops from Oudenaarde, even if that meant not bagging ALL of the possible climbs. Pretty sure when I was there they publicised several day routes from Oud' - I rode the first section of one after breakfast, then headed NE to Liers (nr Antwerp).

Ruh Roh

@Badger1 I am planning a last minute trip to Lyon for work and will take a few extra days off and give the Challenge Flandfrien a try during May 13-15. Will you guys be riding the Challenge during that weekend as well? I plan on using the 3 routes strategy, starting early on Saturday with the longest route, and ending with the shortest on Monday.

Top Bottom