Flashing cycle lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chamfus Flange said:
I always have one light constant and one flashing, front and rear: contant lights are for me to see or be seen, the flashing lights are for me to be noticed.

Agree and it works for me.They are also a "different" white colour also as I doubt that both LED lights are the same colour of white.

I don't honestly think that in the case of riding with what are obviously powerful lights that the cyclist can take the blame. If you buy a new car it has to conform to a whole host of regulations [including lights] that's why it has to be MOT'd every year. there are no such stringent regs for bikes, on the whole we don't need them. However when I lived in Cambridge, some of the bikes there were death traps that the students were riding. In London it's apparantly ok to ride fixed sans brakes - how the hell does that work?
This evening I went out to try my new led front light, it's only 240 lumens on max, but on the really dark narrow country roads several cars flashed me after they had dipped their lights. Obviously I was still blinding them. This is a worry, if I cause an accident becuase my lights were too bright, what chance in court then if there is no BS/DIN marking. I know it feels good to make a car dip their lights, but it takes two to tango. I can't imagine what a car faces at 900+ lumens ;)
Light manufacturers have to know what they are producing and be aware of said effects. It's plainly obvious that very few powerful front lights are designed for road use. The only 2 I can think of are the Busch & Muller Ixon range and Exposure Strada.
I would love to hear the views of a manufacturer. Too many "cyclists" are in the "boys and their toys" mould and enjoy burning the retinas out of any other road user. It's not big and it's not clever. If these mega lumen beasties are just used for off road, not a problem.
Surely the answer is a range of lights designed purely for road use.

ron4322

Right on cue for this thread, early this morning, in the dark, I was followed for a very short distance by a bike with 2 very bright flashing lights. (the bottom of Coldwell Lane, Sheffield, if you were the rider). I was in a car.

He/she turned off down an unlit road. I could not imagine how anyone could ride down an unlit road with just flashing lights, especially ones which were so bright.

Does anyone do this? Can you actually see well enough when you are behind a flashing light?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
After reading this thread i thought i would try fixed and strobe to see if i get seen or not seen with either mode.Strobe i'm afraid wins hands down after i had near misses in heavy traffic from people who do not notice even other cars on the road never mind cyclists !
My lamps are Niterider x 2 which i dip so not to blind our "fellow" road users.They are useless in strobe mode in dark country lanes and just dangerous for both me and motorists.

Strobe would be quite, erm, "exciting" on an unlit road I'd have thought. I turn my second light (which is in strobe mode on lit roads) onto steady when I'm on unlit roads. My main light is always on steady.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Lazy-Commuter said:
Strobe would be quite, erm, "exciting" on an unlit road I'd have thought. I turn my second light (which is in strobe mode on lit roads) onto steady when I'm on unlit roads. My main light is always on steady.

You have to try it for a laugh on a country lane ! Really weird effect on your eyes :biggrin:

adds21

Rider of bikes
HJ said:
I would have thought that in town having the Ay-Up on steady would be useful for being seen, or are you trying to save the battery for when you need them to see by?

It depends on the light level, but generally, yes, I need the Ay-Ups to see where I'm going once I get out in the sticks, so want to make sure I've got enough battery when I get there! However, as it's getting darker each day now (and especially when it's wet), I'm using the Ay-Ups more often in town... I just have to remember to plug them in when I get in the garage at home!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
adds21 said:
It depends on the light level, but generally, yes, I need the Ay-Ups to see where I'm going once I get out in the sticks, so want to make sure I've got enough battery when I get there! However, as it's getting darker each day now (and especially when it's wet), I'm using the Ay-Ups more often in town... I just have to remember to plug them in when I get in the garage at home!

May you should look out for some one putting in an AyUp order and ask them to get a spare battery pack for you, then way you can carry a fully charged backup...

adds21

Rider of bikes
HJ said:
May you should look out for some one putting in an AyUp order and ask them to get a spare battery pack for you, then way you can carry a fully charged backup...

I've actually been thinking about getting an extra charger. That way I can charge the lights while at work. I'm probably more likely to remember to charge them then. Although, to be honest, it's not so much the battery, as my memory which is the problem (eg, "When did I last charge them? Was it yesterday? Better keep them off for a while just in case" :sad:).

What I should really do is simply remember to plug them in each evening!

oxford_guy

Über Member
adds21 said:
I've actually been thinking about getting an extra charger. That way I can charge the lights while at work. I'm probably more likely to remember to charge them then. Although, to be honest, it's not so much the battery, as my memory which is the problem (eg, "When did I last charge them? Was it yesterday? Better keep them off for a while just in case" :sad:).

What I should really do is simply remember to plug them in each evening!

Its this kind of thing that makes me glad I have dynamo lights (B & M Cyo IQ Senso Plus and DToplight XS), especially with my appalling memory! :thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
Never came across this problem with flashing lights till Tuesday morning cycling home from work in the dark.

It was pitch black, not a thing in sight, I was all lit up with back and front lights not flashing, and high viz clothing cycling steadily along the cycle path, when all of a sudden out of the darkness a very intense beam of flashing white light was suddenly turned on very close to my front and shaking violently from side to side and aimed high into my eyes. As it got closer I still could not work out what it was as it was so blinding, then I noticed it was a cyclist when we was only yards apart, I was tight to the left but from the swerving action of the light could not work out the others riders intentions at all. At the last moment he swerved to my right and saw he was on a mountain bike going hell for leather and pulling on his handlebars swerving from side to side frantically.

Would you believe it 50 yards further on exactly the same happened again. I cannot understand the logic of leaving your lights off till you see someone else coming the opposite way. What happens in total darkness if two riders approach each other with the same mentality.

Wednesday morning, same happened again, but this time the first rider had his lights on, still flashing and aimed high, maybe he had a near miss and learned to leave them on, but once again cycling furiously, this time though he never saw me at all till we nearly impacted, I was tight to the left and he just came straight at me, once again I could not work out his intentions, then I saw his face lit up, probably by the light reflecting back from my high viz jacket and my headlight, looking straight downwards at the path, just as we was about to collide and before I could shout, he notices me, his face was a picture of shock, swerves to my right and shouting the "S" word at the same time as he scrapes past.

Dreading next Thursday and Friday when I probably meet him again, hopefully he will have crashed into something by then to learn him the errors of his ways

zacklaws said:
<snip>

Would you believe it 50 yards further on exactly the same happened again. I cannot understand the logic of leaving your lights off till you see someone else coming the opposite way. What happens in total darkness if two riders approach each other with the same mentality.
This ..

zacklaws said:
Dreading next Thursday and Friday when I probably meet him again, hopefully he will have crashed into something by then to learn him the errors of his ways
.. especially if they're both not looking. I just hope it's not you that teaches him the lesson. :tongue:

It's a strange approach, isn't it? Saving batteries or something? :biggrin:

It's a strange approach, isn't it? Saving batteries or something?:biggrin:

Nah,I seem to remember riding without lights illuminated down the canal at night as we found it easier to see.My lights don't light up the universe they only serve the purpose to be seen.

hackbike 666 said:
It's a strange approach, isn't it? Saving batteries or something?:smile:

Nah,I seem to remember riding without lights illuminated down the canal at night as we found it easier to see.My lights don't light up the universe they only serve the purpose to be seen.

I have a friend who like s to ride like this, he goes on that any light (my lights) ruin his 'nightvision' !!
But clearly it's working well for the MTB rider....isn't it. :o)

Top Bottom