Flashing cycle lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lazy-Commuter

semislickstick said:
I have a friend who like s to ride like this, he goes on that any light (my lights) ruin his 'nightvision' !!
But clearly it's working well for the MTB rider....isn't it. :o)
Aha, maybe we've now found the reason for running a red light on the front: it's to preserve night vision.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Slow vehicles are often required to have flashing orange lights on them - I'm thinking tractors, milk floats and so forth.

On the nasty road I'm obliged to use to get to work, no-one drives a tractor on it without an orange strobe or beacon on it, and I don't blame them.

Anyone know what the legality is of using an orange flashing light on a bike? (Yes, I have tried it).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Uncle Phil said:
Slow vehicles are often required to have flashing orange lights on them - I'm thinking tractors, milk floats and so forth.

On the nasty road I'm obliged to use to get to work, no-one drives a tractor on it without an orange strobe or beacon on it, and I don't blame them.

Anyone know what the legality is of using an orange flashing light on a bike? (Yes, I have tried it).

Thinking of getting one of these Uncle Phil?

Attachments

• L12259119.jpg
    L12259119.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 25
Im using the Fantom XR9 as I have at last found a substitute for the crap fitting bracket supplied.I believe I have had a good reaction from the motons as it is so fkin bright.(on the rear)

siadwell

Guru
Uncle Phil said:

Depends how fast you can ride...:laugh:

Road Vehicles Lighting Regs 1989
PART II
REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE FITTING OF LAMPS, REFLECTORS, REAR MARKINGS AND DEVICES

Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors
11.—(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except-
(l) amber light from a warning beacon fitted to-
(iv) a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph or any trailer drawn by such a vehicle;

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I can occasionally exceed 25 mph.

I'm cast-iron certain that most modern tractors can! Doesn't stop them having orange beacons on though.

siadwell

Guru
Uncle Phil said:

I'm cast-iron certain that most modern tractors can! Doesn't stop them having orange beacons on though.

Actually, there's another reference in rule 27 which allows for "Warning beacon emitting amber light" to be used "when it is necessary or desirable to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle". So as a bike is a vehicle and it's desirable to be seen, it looks like you can strap an amber beacon to your lid. Expect comments from the local kids though.

thomas

the tank engine
Uncle Phil said:

A friend got some high power amber flashers and put them on top of his Golf...which could certainly do more than 25mph. As far as I know it was legal. I think he mainly used it for when he was at the Airport. He did say that he managed to get people to pull over and let him past by putting them on - I don't know how true that is...they were quite cool though.

Norm

Uncle Phil said:

Sorry, I'm going to call you out on that one. Which is bizarre as my own Uncle Phil runs the family farm and is the reason that I know about tractors.

Anyway, the definition of an "off road tractor" is:
a tractor which is not an agricultural tractor and which is:
a) designed and constructed primarily for use other than on roads, and
:smile: incapable by reason of its construction of exceeding a speed of 25mph on the level under its own power.

Some agricultural tractors can travel at over 25mph but, IIRC, they need road tax, use white dieseasel etc They still use flashing beacons, though. :laugh:

atbman

Veteran
I find this thread slightly baffling. I've never had a problem telling where a cyclist (with flashing lights only) is or what speed he's travelling at.

Amongst other things, their size gives a clue, unless he's a 10' tall rider who's further away than he appears or a 3' tall rider who's closer than he appears.

If the flash is seconds apart, then I can see that it might cause some difficulty, but since they usually flash more than once/second, what's the problem?

Top Bottom