Flashing front bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Flashing lights should not be banned, thats just not sensible

I have a 2 inch LED on the front of my bike which I often set to flash at night for no other reason than to say 'I AM HERE, DON'T PULL OUT ON ME OR RUN ME OVER !!!!!'. Far more effective than a single light for that purpose.

Last night I turned the light on and walked some distance away from the bike to check the effect, and I have to say if anyway is dazzled by it or cannot judge the depth then they really need to see an optician.

I think even with the more powerful lights than I have its more a case of what angle the light is set to, strobing or not.

A typcial arrogant cyclist. And you think cyclists are the only road users that get "pulled out on" therefore having such a light is justified? :rolleyes:. I would suggest you get an Airzound instead.

So if ALL vehicles start using bright flashing strobe front lights it would be very dangerous on the roads, yes?

GrasB

Veteran
I've got no problem with a flashing light as long as there's another light permanently on. Dazzlingly bright bike lights aimed at eye level is a completely different thing.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Do the people who are moaning about flashing lights also moan about flashers on cones, on top of emergency vehicles, on top of motorway maintenance trucks? No? They are there to alert other road users to your presence.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just those car makes then.......:rolleyes:
Well, honestly, ime, yes.

I regularly find badly driven Nissan's and Vee-Dubs, Fords, and Vauxhalls et all cross my paths but only those marques (Audi's, Mercs, Volvos and Beemers) seem to induce the deadliest form of motorised somnambulance in their operators. Which is, in turn, multiplied by their owners' heightened sense of entitlement. It's a heady mix I grant you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't know what you're disagreeing with me about, I'm not talking about flashing lights but Greg's practice of setting his front light so it dazzles oncoming drivers. Unless you think having a blinded driver coming towards you somehow makes you safer.
Do keep up.

It's one flashing front light and one steady front light set so they can be clearly and readily seen by other road users. What would be the point of aiming them at the floor in daylight? I don't need see by lights during the day only be seens.

Dazzlingly bright? Subjective BS imo and anyway I wouldn't care to say, and couldn't care less. An attitude apparently shared by every car driver I've encountered so far, including the coppers I pass as they go to and from the two police stations on my commute.

Though I did read another illegal immigrant fell from a plane this week so the odds of death by dazzled driver are stacking up on me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do the people who are moaning about flashing lights also moan about flashers on cones, on top of emergency vehicles, on top of motorway maintenance trucks? No? They are there to alert other road users to your presence.
How can I be expected to navigate a contraflow in the wife's car with all those blasted dazzling flashing lights? Something must be done.:wacko:

Here's the thing, when you have a bright 'dazzling' blinky coming towards you, don't look directly at it.

Just like you don't look directly at car headlights.

You know it makes sense.

Yes and no.

It is perfectly safe to look directly at car headlights when they are dipped. Cycists, drivers, pedestrians and motorcyclists do it all the time.

It is inadvisable and unpleasant to look directly into (or at) car headlamps on full beam.

Drivers are taught to use the dipswitch when other road users are approaching.

If drivers didn't bother with dipped-beam headlamps, it would be unpleasant and (up to a point) dangerous on the roads.

High-aimed, powerful cycle lamps on a strobe setting are much like main-beam headlamps. They are unpleasant to look into or look close to.

Just as some drivers don't give a flying feck whom they dazzle with their main beams, some cyclists are casual about whom they dazzle with powerful or flashing lamps.

BMW, Audi, Volvo, Pinarello, Colnago.... these are all symptoms of the same mindset.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
BMW, Audi, Volvo, Pinarello, Colnago.... these are all symptoms of the same mindset.
Couldn't say, never owned any of the above, never wanted to own any of the above, never will own any of the above. Perhaps my mindset is symptomatic of another list of marques.

If a car or motorcycle or HGV in daylight flashes me as another road user, using its main beam that, as you say, is much like a high-aimed, powerful cycle lamp on a strobe setting, should I complain that I'm being dazzled?

And your point?

Your are supposed to be a copper. What's your view or the law in relation to very bright and I mean bright, cycle front lights that flash or strobe? They certainly don't illuminate the route and if they were safe and effective why don't ALL vehicles have them, cars included?

CPS guidelines suggest that the act of not dipping headlights can be suitable to form part of a case of inconsiderate driving. I therefore see no reason why it couldn't potentially form part of a case for an inconsiderate cycling charge. I suspect however that the defence would have a strong counter argument in the form of 'My client, a vulnerable road user, was merely trying to be seen'. I wouldn't like to guess which way it would go.

I do however think the issue would have to be based on the extreme brightness of the lights, rather than simply the fact that they flash/strobe.

FWIW I have a pulsing front light (I.e. it's always on but pulses/flashes brighter) which is bright enough that I feel it appropriate to cover it when I pull up behind someone stationary in traffic.

As for whether they are needed on the GBW, I wouldn't really know, however from your description of it I doubt it. For people travelling at 20mph+ on the main road, going over roundabouts, anything that prevents a SMIDSY is a bit of a godsend tbh - but I think there are limits. A top of the range 'Lets illuminate the forest' Magicshine MAY not be appropriate as a 'See me' Commuting light - the difficulty is where do you draw the line, and how do you measure it.

And there is no need for them on the roads either.

I have changed mine to constant a while back and agree to a certain extent , but I'd rather see people with a flashing LED than nothing? Its almost a helmet topic this as there'll be almost no consensus achieved!:laugh:

I'll share a tale though - on a recent night right ride as we stopped at an unlit junction to take directions, my friends Exposure Strada was flashing bright enough to apparently wake the occupants of a bungalow 100yrds away! We saw them peering out of the house probably wondering what idiot was flashing a searchlight into their bedroom lol Bit embarrassed we left them to their sleep:whistle:

1 in 16 vehicle drivers have inadequate vision and would fail a roadside eyesight test, some due to wearing
the incorrect strength of glasses.
I suspect the same people are making all the noise about being dazzled.

I do a lot of night cycling on incredibly knackered roads and have two handlebar lights with tight beam spread aimed at the road.
The other thing i have is a focusable light on my helmet, which spends 99% of the time also lighting up
the road where i'm going.

The odd time i've seen motorists approaching from a side road far to quickly to stop ... you can tell when
they are about to fly out with "half a look".

That in my opinion justifies a quick flash from the head-torch so they know i'm approaching.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
CPS guidelines suggest that the act of not dipping headlights can be suitable to form part of a case of inconsiderate driving. I therefore see no reason why it couldn't potentially form part of a case for an inconsiderate cycling charge. I suspect however that the defence would have a strong counter argument in the form of 'My client, a vulnerable road user, was merely trying to be seen'. I wouldn't like to guess which way it would go.

I do however think the issue would have to be based on the extreme brightness of the lights, rather than simply the fact that they flash/strobe.

FWIW I have a pulsing front light (I.e. it's always on but pulses/flashes brighter) which is bright enough that I feel it appropriate to cover it when I pull up behind someone stationary in traffic.

As for whether they are needed on the GBW, I wouldn't really know, however from your description of it I doubt it. For people travelling at 20mph+ on the main road, going over roundabouts, anything that prevents a SMIDSY is a bit of a godsend tbh - but I think there are limits. A top of the range 'Lets illuminate the forest' Magicshine MAY not be appropriate as a 'See me' Commuting light - the difficulty is where do you draw the line, and how do you measure it.

Interesting.

Basically what is the legislation surrouding the permitted type and use of bicycle front lights? Do front bike lights have to be on a continuous setting or is having them on flashing / strobe permitted? So if a car had flashing, pulsing lights would that contravene construction and use legislation? On the face of it it would be dangerous wouldn't it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Interesting.

Basically what is the legislation surrouding the permitted type and use of bicycle front lights? Do front bike lights have to be on a continuous setting or is having them on flashing / strobe permitted? So if a car had flashing, pulsing lights would that contravene construction and use legislation? On the face of it it would be dangerous wouldn't it.
Bicycle lights are allowed to flash.

Top Bottom