Flashing headlights!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Every time I see a motorist flash their headlights my spidey senses go to 11!

This morning was no different. I’m approaching a busy junction there’s a car in the side road waiting to turn right when an oncoming car starts flashing it’s headlights. I’m sure the driver in the side road has spotted me and so is patiently waiting. But that doesn’t stop the oncoming car from still flashing their lights, almost coming to a stop. It’s then that I realise that the car that’s alongside me is indicating left! It ends up with all three cars stationary and me riding through the middle of the chaos effing and jeffing?!?! One sensible driver and two idiots?

Highway Code Rule 110
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Stay frosty!

Crankarm

Guru
All I shall say is "Airzound and Max D on full power".

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Every time I see a motorist flash their headlights my spidey senses go to 11!

This morning was no different. I’m approaching a busy junction there’s a car in the side road waiting to turn right when an oncoming car starts flashing it’s headlights. I’m sure the driver in the side road has spotted me and so is patiently waiting. But that doesn’t stop the oncoming car from still flashing their lights, almost coming to a stop. It’s then that I realise that the car that’s alongside me is indicating left! It ends up with all three cars stationary and me riding through the middle of the chaos effing and jeffing?!?! One sensible driver and two idiots?

Highway Code Rule 110
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Stay frosty!
Show me a motorist who flashes their lights, to let someone out , (in an attmept to get a warm glowy feeling for themselves) and I will show you one who hasn't looked in their mirrors. Either there is no one behind them, and everyone else would be better served by them just moving, or there there are X people behind them and they have now held X people up for the sake of one other person.

GrasB

Veteran
Show me a motorist who flashes their lights, to let someone out , (in an attmept to get a warm glowy feeling for themselves) and I will show you one who hasn't looked in their mirrors. Either there is no one behind them, and everyone else would be better served by them just moving, or there there are X people behind them and they have now held X people up for the sake of one other person.
Road craft fail!

It's exactly when there's a long queue of traffic behind you that being courteous to road users stuck pulling out of side roads is a good thing. The delay in letting someone out, even if you did actually stop, for you & other people behind is minimal. However, if you want to let someone out slowing down by 1 mph & allowing a gap to develop in front of you over a few seconds is more than good enough. If the person can't get into that gap without me telling them it's okay then I don't want them in front of me, if they can get into the gap then it's okay too.

Little yellow Brompton

Road craft fail!

It's exactly when there's a long queue of traffic behind you that being courteous to road users stuck pulling out of side roads is a good thing. The delay in letting someone out, even if you did actually stop, for you & other people behind is minimal. However, if you want to let someone out slowing down by 1 mph & allowing a gap to develop in front of you over a few seconds is more than good enough. If the person can't get into that gap without me telling them it's okay then I don't want them in front of me, if they can get into the gap then it's okay too.

It's minimal times X, and what may be "minimal" to you , when seeking your warm glow , may well be discourteous to me behind you who wants to turn right , through the gap in traffic that you are letting someone through. I have lost count of the times where I am wanting tio turn right, across the traffic stream, see a gap coming towards me, time my arrival at the junction to turn right through the gap and have it stopped by the vehicicle in front of me stop me to allow someone to come out, leaving me and X others now waiting for another gap. Who's being courteous to who?

donnydave

Über Member
I'll generally lift off to give someone a big enough gap for turning on/across my path if its not a massive inconvenience to me, or wouldnt cause a pile-up behind, but I wont flash people as they should be able to decide for themselves if its safe, not rely on a signal from others to go.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
All I shall say is "Airzound and Max D on full power".

Can you please stop copy and pasting responses, word for word with no input. If you want to get your post count up, contribute to the forum, if you can't contribute, get lost.

GrasB

Veteran
It's minimal times X, and what may be "minimal" to you , when seeking your warm glow , may well be discourteous to me behind you who wants to turn right , through the gap in traffic that you are letting someone through. I have lost count of the times where I am wanting tio turn right, across the traffic stream, see a gap coming towards me, time my arrival at the junction to turn right through the gap and have it stopped by the vehicicle in front of me stop me to allow someone to come out, leaving me and X others now waiting for another gap. Who's being courteous to who?
I have no idea what this warm fuzzy glow is you're talking about. I give people the opportunity to pull. out because it's polite.

Why is your time so much more important than someone else's who is in a more awkward situation? It's exactly this me, me, ME, ME, ME!!!!!! which causes so many problems on the roads in the first place! It's a lot easier if you simple relax when driving & also it's much, much harder to turn right across 2 lanes of traffic instead of turning across one lane of traffic when in the flow of the other. Even if you do miss 'your' gap it's not long to find another gap to get through, as much as you want to believe, however it may be several min before someone at a side road can get two coinciding gaps to turn right from the road.

Little yellow Brompton

I have no idea what this warm fuzzy glow is you're talking about. I give people the opportunity to pull. out because it's polite.

Why is your time so much more important than someone else's who is in a more awkward situation? It's exactly this me, me, ME, ME, ME!!!!!! which causes so many problems on the roads in the first place! It's a lot easier if you simple relax when driving & also it's much, much harder to turn right across 2 lanes of traffic instead of turning across one lane of traffic when in the flow of the other. Even if you do miss 'your' gap it's not long to find another gap to get through, as much as you want to believe, however it may be several min before someone at a side road can get two coinciding gaps to turn right from the road.
Why is their time so much more important than mine, and the people behind me? It's exactly the same equation/argument from the other side. It might be "polite" to one person, but that makes it "impolite" to the others behind you...

Do you behave the same way to people at the tills in Tesco, sacrifice the time of those behind you for the benefit of one ?

400bhp

Guru
Why is their time so much more important than mine, and the people behind me? It's exactly the same equation/argument from the other side. It might be "polite" to one person, but that makes it "impolite" to the others behind you...

Do you behave the same way to people at the tills in Tesco, sacrifice the time of those behind you for the benefit of one ?

One reason is it keeps traffic flow moving. The people waiting behind the driver that wishes to turn across your path for example. Take it to the extreme at a side road that goes onto a busy main road with a continuous stream of traffic. The cars in the side road would never be able to join the main road.

donnydave

Über Member
One reason is it keeps traffic flow moving. The people waiting behind the driver that wishes to turn across your path for example. Take it to the extreme at a side road that goes onto a busy main road with a continuous stream of traffic. The cars in the side road would never be able to join the main road.

You've got Spock over a barrel there.

Doesn't add up. Slowing to let a person across slows people behind you temporarily, however the person being let across will be held up much longer if not let out.

The arguement about queing at tescos is not the same as in tescos everyone has the ability to get to the back of the queue. On the roads, people have no chocie but to hit the middle of another queue if that is hwere the road takes them.

Top Bottom