Flashing LEDs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HLaB said:
Arch I had a couple of fits when I was younger the first was the day after my higher exams (final exams at high school) technically I could of been driving at the time but I had decided to put off having lessons till after my exams ;)

Yup, I have a friend who suddenly developed epilepsy a couple of years ago. Luckily it's all under control now, and she can drive again, but it made things difficult, with her living out in the country, several miles from a bus route. The doctor said she shouldn't even cycle, but she chose to ignore that, since she was only endangering herself and would have been completely without transport apart from taxis...

Arch

Married to Night Train
HLaB said:
Arch I had a couple of fits when I was younger the first was the day after my higher exams (final exams at high school) technically I could of been driving at the time but I had decided to put off having lessons till after my exams ;)

Yup, I have a friend who suddenly developed epilepsy a couple of years ago. Luckily it's all under control now, and she can drive again, but it made things difficult, with her living out in the country, several miles from a bus route. The doctor said she shouldn't even cycle, but she chose to ignore that, since she was only endangering herself and would have been completely without transport apart from taxis...

goosander

Über Member
Maz said:
Can a flashing LED give a driver an epi?

Depends on the LED I guess, most wouldn't but my Lupine Wilma LED (15W off road LED) has a 'super flash' mode that is very strobe like. The instruction manual urges caution in it use, presumably for this reason.

goosander

Über Member
Maz said:
Can a flashing LED give a driver an epi?

Depends on the LED I guess, most wouldn't but my Lupine Wilma LED (15W off road LED) has a 'super flash' mode that is very strobe like. The instruction manual urges caution in it use, presumably for this reason.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Arch said:
Right oh then, Hairy, and if you've never had a fit, and then you suddenly develop epilepsy, you're going to know you're suseptible, how exactly? Plenty of people have their first fit in adulthood, and could easily have it behind the wheel of a car, driving perfectly legally...

In which case the fit is as likely to triggered by a faulty street lights or driving down a tree-lined road on a bright sunny day... fortunately developing epilepsy is very rare, other wise we would have to go without streetlights and cut down all the trees. It is not a reason to stop using LED bike lights...

Valiant

Veteran
The flash modes of the higher end LED based lights such as Lupine, Dinotte etc are reffered to as strobes and can trigger epilepsy. But then on a moving bike, it's quite rare unless the person is directly behind you and you're shining the Dinotte straight up.

For the record, in built up areas I prefer to use the strobe feature as it's more attention grabbing and shouts bike.

Sorry,,,

I made two assumptions,,,

1. I was considering all other users when I answered the question - pedestrians and other cyclists as well as drivers. For these groups there are no restrictions, and hence a vulnerability.

2. I had considered the "average" off the shelf LEDs, NOT the big hitters such as the Dinotte.

I do not use the Dinottes in flashing off road, but do on road for the reasons that Valiant states.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock said:
In which case the fit is as likely to triggered by a faulty street lights or driving down a tree-lined road on a bright sunny day... fortunately developing epilepsy is very rare, other wise we would have to go without streetlights and cut down all the trees. It is not a reason to stop using LED bike lights...

No, I know, I didn't say it was. I was challenging your assertion that someone with epilepsy shouldn't be behind the wheel, on the grounds that they may not know of their condition. Your post seemed to me to be suggesting that if someone had a fit while driving, they were somehow at fault, when they may be perfectly innocent of the risk and it may be their first ever fit.

Carwash

Señor Member
magnatom said:
I would be interested to know what the statistics are for accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists in Japan.

I daresay they are insignificant compared to the risks of being trampled on by Godzilla or shot at by giant robots.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
I daresay they are insignificant compared to the risks of being trampled on by Godzilla or shot at by giant robots.

Um, wrong thread? Want me to move this post? (assuming I can work out how...)

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
Um, wrong thread? Want me to move this post? (assuming I can work out how...)

Nope, in reply to a comment a few pages back, this thread. :blush:
(Click the arrowy link in the quote to be taken there.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
Nope, in reply to a comment a few pages back, this thread. :smile:
(Click the arrowy link in the quote to be taken there.)

Apologies. It's just that he used the exact same phrase in a different thread yesterday...:blush:

Top Bottom