Flat Bar to Drop Bar + brake lever/shifter/cables (Gravel)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vincenzo

Regular
Hi

I was wondering wich drop bar and brake levers/shifter/cables I should buy for a good quality/price to convert my new bike in a real gravel bike.
I've ordered a Genesis Croix de Fer 10 Flat bar version (2021) for the cheaper price and the hydraulic disck brakes wich don't come with the higher models (don't know why)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21010_detail_1.jpg

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s23p4601/GENESIS-Croix-De-Fer-Custom-2019
Suggest you cancel that order and buy this 2019 model with hydraulic brakes if it fits you.. Swapping what you’ve bought to drops will be an expensive exercise.

DRM

Guru
Your main problem is your bike is 9 speed sora, hydraulic drop bar shifter/brake levers are going to be around £200 gbp and are 11 speed, the sora shifters don’t have an hydraulic brake option, you could fit sora and mechanical disc callipers, but that would be a backward step, you will need a full 105, or GRX set up to make it work, but it will be very expensive, in fact cancel the order and get the drop bar version, it’ll be cheaper in the long run

Ajax Bay

Guru
I know your not missing my point and as a Neopolitan [Welcome :welcome: @Vincenzo ], the OP's command of English is excellent.
A bike with flats is just as much a 'real gravel bike' as one with drops. Does a gravel bike have to have hydraulic disc brakes, do you think? I suppose I think that a gravel bike has two essential criteria: clearance for a decent diameter and width tyre (say min 650b and 40mm) and a non-suspension fork. Would you add others in as 'essential'?
I echo you and the other posters. Buying a new bike with the intent to immediately convert it in a significant way is an approach to be avoided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincenzo

Vincenzo

Regular
Thanks everybody for the suggestions :smile:

I know your not missing my point and as a Neopolitan [Welcome :welcome: @Vincenzo ], the OP's command of English is excellent.
A bike with flats is just as much a 'real gravel bike' as one with drops. Does a gravel bike have to have hydraulic disc brakes, do you think? I suppose I think that a gravel bike has two essential criteria: clearance for a decent diameter and width tyre (say min 650b and 40mm) and a non-suspension fork. Would you add others in as 'essential'?
I echo you and the other posters. Buying a new bike with the intent to immediately convert it in a significant way is an approach to be avoided.

Thanks Ajax Bay :hello:

In reality I was too hasty in order this bike because I had too use the mobility bonus we had here in Italy by the end of november.
But in the beginning I really wanted to start with the flat bar version as I was a little bit scared in starting with a drop bar.
Then, readind through various topics about the no-sense of having a flat bar on a gravel I was a little bit discouraged as I really wanted to experience a new bike concept and not an hybrid that, as they say, turns out to be a mountain bike

Probably I'm gonna ask if is possible to exchange it with this model as I can't use the voucher out of Italy and in other shops as I've already validated with this

https://www.bikecafe.org/product/genesis-croix-de-fer-10-2021/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincenzo

Vincenzo

Regular
otherwise what do you think about moloko bar from Surly? Could it be a valid alternative to drop bar which is better for the body position with gravel framset geometry?

https://surlybikes.com/parts/moloko_bar

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looks like a really good choice to meet your roughly defined requirement.
Drop bars, Sora 9-speed STIs, mechanical disc brakes TRP Spyre (best in market), value for money.
If you stick to a straight bar then get out and ride it, and lean on that experience to guide any choice of a different bar. Frame geometry is irrelevant to bar choice imo.

Top Bottom