Flat battery - again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Year's ago i loved working on my car. It was easy and everything was easily accessible to get to. You could self learn about how things worked and was never afraid to having a go.
Nowadays though I hate going near the dam things.. There's no room under the bonnet to get to anything and are horrendously complicated.
Tomorrow I've got the unpleasant task to changing a headlight bulb.. Year's ago it as simple as lifting the bonnet up to getting access to the back of the light.
Tomorrow though it's a case of lying under neath the car in the muck and contorting my arthritic hand blindly into a tight space searching for the bulb connector.
That depends on the car. Pull 2 pins and the entire headlamp lifts put on my Volvo, and the bulbs can be replaced in comfort. Slide the light back in, push the pins in, Voila! Genuine 3 minute bulb changes with no tools.

Plenty of room to work, everything is thoughtfully designed for removal and dismantling... that's probably why the lifespan of the average Volvo is 20.7 years, nearly double the average.

Mind you, everything is done up twice as tight and weighs twice as much as a regular car, so it's not all smooth sailing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That depends on the car. Pull 2 pins and the entire headlamp lifts put on my Volvo, and the bulbs can be replaced in comfort. Slide the light back in, push the pins in, Voila! Genuine 3 minute bulb changes with no tools.

Plenty of room to work, everything is thoughtfully designed for removal and dismantling... that's probably why the lifespan of the average Volvo is 20.7 years, nearly double the average.

Mind you, everything is done up twice as tight and weighs twice as much as a regular car, so it's not all smooth sailing.

It is said that the missing dark matter of the universe is in Volvos and that the engine contains a black hole.

johnnyb47

Guru

Mind you, everything
Funny you should mention your Volvo @Drago
Whilst farting around the other day trying to get my bulb sorted a neighbour stopped for a brief chat (he's also got a Volvo) and said exactly the same as you about how easy and well thought out his was in bulb changing. I was quite envious is i lay in the snow fumbling around trying to fit the dam bulb.
He then went on to say his car has gone into limp mode and hasn't got a clue what's wrong so it's a visit to the garage to get it sorted.

Drago

Legendary Member
Funny you should mention your Volvo @Drago
Whilst farting around the other day trying to get my bulb sorted a neighbour stopped for a brief chat (he's also got a Volvo) and said exactly the same as you about how easy and well thought out his was in bulb changing. I was quite envious is i lay in the snow fumbling around trying to fit the dam bulb.
He then went on to say his car has gone into limp mode and hasn't got a clue what's wrong so it's a visit to the garage to get it sorted.
Ah, being the old boy scout that I am I bought an iCarsoft V2.0 within days of acquiring the Volvo. Its already paid for itself twice over.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ohhh couldn't tell you sorry. I'm not to up to date with cars. It is a diesel estate around the 2005 year i think 🤔
They use the same Citroen/Peugeot/Ford/Volvo engine, they are very susceptible to carboning up, they need to use special oil, if it's also stuck at 2.8Krpm then it just needs a good old Italian tune up. I bought one & on the 2nd day it dropped into it, I had a Bluetooth OBD adapter paired to my phone. Got onto the A1 with my then 8 year old grandson, put it into 3rd, then floored it, it would go to 3.6K then light would come on & drop to 2.8K, had my Grandson hit the reset button light out, back up to 3.6K, light on, dop to 2.8K, grandson reset, did this multiple times on a 10 mile stretch never had the problem again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends what model and what size engine as to the type on a Volvo of that year and the engine size. Could be PSA in origin, Ford, Ford/Mazda, or Volvo home grown.

The 1.6 was a nice motor, and well ahead of its time when it first appeared. Very early versions could be troublesome but that as quickly sorted, but they still need scrupulous maintenance or they'll bite.

D

Deleted member 26715

Had to put a new battery on the F-I-L's lady friends car, the frost had killed it, looked like the original Ford fitted Varta, car is now 7 years old so done well. Ordered a new one from EBAY £52.95 used them before, ordered on Wednesday at 15:30, arrived yesterday by DPD 10:30, fitted 15:00 car spinning up like a goodun now. As said before just buy a new battery.

Top Bottom