Flat feet and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycle-swim

Regular
I have 'flat feet' (no arch); anyone else with the same condition? And if so, do you find it hampers your ride? How do you deal / compensate for not having an arch? -Thanks

Jameshow

Veteran
Have you tried arch inner soles?

As you should try and pedal with the ball of your foot, it should not make any difference. If you do pedal with the arch, or where an arch would be, you're not going to get the best efficiency in pedalling. And, if the saddle were to be adjusted correctly, you might have trouble pedalling with the arch anyhow.

cheys03

Veteran
Have you tried arch inner soles?
This. I wear arch supports, just generic but good examples from a popular online retailer. Cheap enough for several sets to leave in my various pairs of shoes - including the cycling shoes.

Without them my feet ache a little when cycling. They also roll the foot outwards so the ankles and knees appear lined up microscopically better.

It is better with them, but I did just fine without them before too. Aching arches were low on the list of aches after a long ride 😆

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have 'flat feet' (no arch); anyone else with the same condition? And if so, do you find it hampers your ride? How do you deal / compensate for not having an arch? -Thanks

I have flat feet and that in itself has never impacted my cycling. However I have one leg 0.5cm shorter than the other and pronate significantly.

A podiatrist cycling friend spotted this and set me up with a heel raiser and arch supports. The difference is astonishing and made a big difference to my bike set up and overall comfort.

With flat feet it's likely you will pronate so I would check this and if you do take appropriate steps to correct it.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I'm not exactly sure what's going on with my feet, but I'll share my story and you can work it out.

I went to the Golf Show here in Glasgow, and met a very nice woman who seemed to have a team of individuals working on everyone's feet and legs. She asked me if my feet hurt, and when I told her I was in constant lowish level pain, she seemed genuinely happy. Come back in an hour and I guarantee to take that pain away for you she said, which was an offer that I couldn't refuse. Long story short, it came my turn but after a bit of manipulation, she declared that mine was too severe to deal with here and I would need to visit her clinic. https://thefootandlegclinic.co.uk/ Can't lie, I was a little disappointed at that point but thought I'd give it a go.

It took a few appointments but I did end up with quite expensive but highly effective insoles. It felt like there was a golf ball in my shoes, but again I persevered with them, and eventually they felt fine and for the first time in years, I could walk properly putting my heel down first.

That was April last year, and whilst I don't recall anyone telling me exactly what was wrong, I assumed I had that plantur faciaitis, which is I think is just flat feet. I'm not 100% sure if I ever did have flat feet or the custom insoles have reversed it, as I have quite a pronounced arch now, but in the past few weeks I've had to go back to the clinic because the soles of my feet are back to being painful so much so, I've had to buy Skecher slippers to avoid tip toeing around the house. They have done some mobilisation sessions and given me exercises to do, but seem to think there's something else going on and mentioned trying anti inflammatory drugs to see if that would help. Not my favourite way to deal with pain as these things seldom work for me, but we will see how that goes.

Even with all that going on, it doesn't affect me whilst on the bike, although my feet can swell sometimes, so I have to be careful to buy wide enough shoes.

Not sure if any of that is relevant to you or not, but I'm sure you will be fine. :okay:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I'm not exactly sure what's going on with my feet, but I'll share my story and you can work it out.

I went to the Golf Show here in Glasgow, and met a very nice woman who seemed to have a team of individuals working on everyone's feet and legs. She asked me if my feet hurt, and when I told her I was in constant lowish level pain, she seemed genuinely happy. Come back in an hour and I guarantee to take that pain away for you she said, which was an offer that I couldn't refuse. Long story short, it came my turn but after a bit of manipulation, she declared that mine was too severe to deal with here and I would need to visit her clinic. https://thefootandlegclinic.co.uk/ Can't lie, I was a little disappointed at that point but thought I'd give it a go.

It took a few appointments but I did end up with quite expensive but highly effective insoles. It felt like there was a golf ball in my shoes, but again I persevered with them, and eventually they felt fine and for the first time in years, I could walk properly putting my heel down first.

That was April last year, and whilst I don't recall anyone telling me exactly what was wrong, I assumed I had that plantur faciaitis, which is I think is just flat feet. I'm not 100% sure if I ever did have flat feet or the custom insoles have reversed it, as I have quite a pronounced arch now, but in the past few weeks I've had to go back to the clinic because the soles of my feet are back to being painful so much so, I've had to buy Skecher slippers to avoid tip toeing around the house. They have done some mobilisation sessions and given me exercises to do, but seem to think there's something else going on and mentioned trying anti inflammatory drugs to see if that would help. Not my favourite way to deal with pain as these things seldom work for me, but we will see how that goes.

Even with all that going on, it doesn't affect me whilst on the bike, although my feet can swell sometimes, so I have to be careful to buy wide enough shoes.

Not sure if any of that is relevant to you or not, but I'm sure you will be fine. :okay:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/plantar-fasciitis/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/flat-feet/

Top Bottom