FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a nice shortcut through Grimston Park, although it is a private road I often ride through myself . Although it hasn’t happened to me, several friends have been asked not to ride through the grounds, apparently the residents are not too happy. Thought it might be worth a mention.
Ah, I wondered about that last time!

I can't see any signs on Street View at the gates other than a height restriction though... :whistle:

PS Oh, there is a dark green one on the grass on the right - 'Strictly Private'! Perhaps we will give it a miss then...

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Ah, I wondered about that last time!

I can't see any signs on Street View at the gates other than a height restriction though... :whistle:
You are correct Colin, there are no ‘private’ signs at the A162 entrance but there is one at the Kirkby Wharfe entrance. I’d say it’s worth the risk, as I said I’ve never been stopped but just thought I’d mention it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You are correct Colin, there are no ‘private’ signs at the A162 entrance but there is one at the Kirkby Wharfe entrance. I’d say it’s worth the risk, as I said I’ve never been stopped but just thought I’d mention it.
Actually, I have just noticed one on the grass on the Street View photo taken in summer 2019...

I can't read the bottom line of text.

I would probably risk it solo but I'm not sure that I fancy leading a group into a potential slanging match with nimby residents...

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Actually, I have just noticed one on the grass on the Street View photo taken in summer 2019...

View attachment 582383

I can't read the bottom line of text.

I would probably risk it solo but I'm not sure that I fancy leading a group into a potential slanging match with nimby residents...
Well I’ve never noticed that sign, I live about half a mile from there and pass daily, I’ll have a look tomorrow.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm, moving the posts from the old thread hasn't worked out well because I don't have the opening post in this new one now! :laugh:

I will ask for an older post of mine to be copied over which will sit in first place.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@ColinJ Another potential food stop is the Birkin Fisheries Tea Room.
I’m not sure of their opening times but if Cawood is not an option then this could be albeit it is a little further and would require a small detour?
They also serve good coffee etc at Grangeside nurseries, Thorpe lane in Cawood as another alternative.

Slioch

Guru
Put me down as definitely interested for this please @ColinJ, though I'll need to start upping my mileage to get into shape. Don't think I've done anything longer than 50 miles for a long time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Put me down as definitely interested for this please @ColinJ, though I'll need to start upping my mileage to get into shape. Don't think I've done anything longer than 50 miles for a long time.
The longest rides I have done in the past 13 months were only 50 kms and there were not many of them! :laugh:

I need to get fit again too. As soon as this cold wind goes away I am going to get stuck in.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

*BUMP*!

I am making slow progress with my fitness. I'll try to get a couple of hilly 50 km rides in over the next week or so.

I think I could probably go out and do this imperial century route without any long distance training, but I doubt that I would enjoy the second half much! :laugh:

Slioch

Guru
That last hill out of Kippax at around the 95 mile mark was a real killer - particularly when we had to do it twice :laugh:

Sorry Col! ;)

Meanwhile in other news I managed 60 miles last Saturday without passing out, so am hopefully on-track fitness wise.

Passed through a wee place called "Cat Babbleton" which I've had on my radar for a while, purely because I though it was such an interesting name. Wish I hadn't bothered.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That last hill out of Kippax at around the 95 mile mark was a real killer - particularly when we had to do it twice :laugh:

Sorry Col! ;)
I haven't forgotten that! On singlespeed and tired, that mistake did my head in. As did the unexpected extra little climb after the pedestrian told us that it was downhill to Garforth...

I was expecting the detour through Kippax to have the elevation profile shown in red below. It actually would have looked like the area in green behind the red. In fact, we did the longer lumpier route shown above... :blush:

:laugh:

Slioch

Guru
I think the correct term for that is "character building". It nearly did for me and I was using the granny gear, but your pal Carrie breezed it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but your pal Carrie breezed it.

As usual.

I recall one horrid climb Colin inflicted on us.

Carrie skipped up it, although she did get out of the saddle towards the top.

I was a poor second, and only just kept going on my ebike.

Carrie did stop at the top, but only to wait for the rest of us who had to stop at the top to get some breath back.

Top Bottom