FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I'm still up for it. Only problem is I've got a new leather saddle that's trying to break my arse in, and things are a bit sore after only 50 miles. You may be treated to the spectacle of a 59 year old sobbing quietly at the back of the group šŸ˜¢

Julia9054

Guru
I'm still up for it. Only problem is I've got a new leather saddle that's trying to break my arse in, and things are a bit sore after only 50 miles. You may be treated to the spectacle of a 59 year old sobbing quietly at the back of the group šŸ˜¢
Done 50 hilly miles today on our mini half term bike tour. My arse is hurting and clearly also needs toughening up.

colly

Re member eR
Having been absent from the site for a while I was pleased to see good old @ColinJ back into organising mode when I looked in just now.
July 10th is good for me so I'll be there.
I've been out on the bike a bit but for the most part smaller rides. I'll bung in a few long ones and see how it goes.

colly

Re member eR
Yes, I'm definitely up for this one and I'll mark the date and reserve date on my calendar.
As you know @ColinJ, during the last year the arthritis in my knees has worsened considerably making our rides with steep climbs unviable for me due to the pain and stress on my joints. But long flat rides are still fine. I've done lots of flat (i.e less than 50ft per mile of climbing) imperial century rides in the last 12 months in the periods when COVID restrictions have allowed. I'm currently suffering from a strong vice like pain in both feet preventing me from walking any further than 100 metres without a lot of pain. My GP reckons it's a trapped nerve in my back causing it and has suggested I initially try an over the counter remedy called Tiger Balm. I've used it for over a week now and it has made no difference. It smells nice and that's about it. My GP says if the pain still persists after two weeks he'll prescribe strong pain killers but has warned there will be noticeable side effects such as fatigue. Not great for cycling long distances though. Thankfully, the condition has not yet affected my cycling as that is still virtually pain free. So it must be the weight bearing aspect of walking that brings on the pain. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a solution in the next few weeks. On days when I'm not cycling I'm currently house bound but at least there is the garden.

Sorry to hear about the pains in your feet Brian. I know how debilitating that can be. Nothing anywhere as serious as you seem to have though. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I hadn't wrote this one in my diary (have now) it's gonna be fun :laugh: I've 2 big sportives on the previous 2 Sundays & I have a 100 miler planned for Sunday 11th with Mrs SD. Legs are going to hate me šŸ‘

colly

Re member eR
So who is stretching the distances in preparation??

I slipped in a full 28 miles early this morning.:whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So who is stretching the distances in preparation??

I slipped in a full 28 miles early this morning.:whistle:
I am nursing a bad back! :sad:

My master plan was to do a couple of 50 km rides, then a 100 km ride up here. After that, adjourn to my sister's new home in Devon and do 3 x 100 km and several shorter rides there.

I bought a bike off @Venod's son to take to Devon (and leave with my sister for future cycling holidays in the SW). I wanted to do some fettling of the bike so I set up my workshop stand, lifted the 11 kg bike and went to do up the stand's clamp but the bike fell out. 65 year old bodies do not do well catching heavy objects mid-fall!

As a result, the longest ride that I have done this year is 46 km, and most have been shorter than 25km!

Hopefully, the twinges will ease soon... :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fingers crossed @ColinJ
Thanks. Funnily enough, I feel better on the bike, than off it. It is straightening my back up which is causing the problem at the moment. Bending forwards to the handlebars isn't bad; getting off the bike afterwards is harder!

Obviously, I don't want to go crazy on the bike though while my back is sore. I'll compromise on what I do here before Devon, in order to try to be ok for that holiday, and see what I can do there.

I will have 5 days back oop north to recover before Garforth and I will probably do only 30-60 minutes a day in that time so I am rested and fittish for it.

So, injuries permitting, who do we have going?
Yes, of course - sorry, I have been slacking! I will remove the question marks when those members confirm, or remove their entries if they say that they can't make it. :whistle:

THE LIST:
And here I'll tag other riders who came along last time, or expressed interest:
Even if only half of those above turn up, it would be a good turnout, and anybody else who would like to join us is welcome to (let us know below)!

si_c

Guru
At this point I'm a probable, I'm way overweight and underfit and haven't ridden that distance in over a year, so I'll probably need to bring an inflatable rubber ring for the train home.

Top Bottom