FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At this point I'm a probable, I'm way overweight and underfit and haven't ridden that distance in over a year, so I'll probably need to bring an inflatable rubber ring for the train home.
I'll probably have to stand up, leaning forwards onto some supportive surface... If my legs are knackered too, I'll have to lie on my back! :laugh:

Can anyone just turn up or is it only good for the distance (possibly not from comments I've seen)? If I can get over there logistically I'd like to join. I've ridden an imperial this year and several 70's so think I'm OK but I think your flat and my flat differ... I thought I'd sent this earlier so apologies if it turns up twice.

si_c

Guru
Can anyone just turn up or is it only good for the distance (possibly not from comments I've seen)? If I can get over there logistically I'd like to join. I've ridden an imperial this year and several 70's so think I'm OK but I think your flat and my flat differ... I thought I'd sent this earlier so apologies if it turns up twice.

It is a reasonably flat route - about 800m of elevation gain in 160km, the hardest bit is in the last 20km or so and you'd do that regardless of doing the 100, or 160. I'm planning on going currently, and am going from the Wirral also, I'll be getting the train over from Liverpool to Leeds and riding to Garforth, it's a bit tight timewise and we might have to catch the main group, but you're welcome to join me.

Domus

Guru
Both dates in the diary. Will confirm nearer the date if that’s ok. Train from Sunny Radcliffe a non starter so will be in the car. What is the parking like?

colly

Re member eR
Both dates in the diary. Will confirm nearer the date if that’s ok. Train from Sunny Radcliffe a non starter so will be in the car. What is the parking like?
Garforth will be ok for parking. I'm not sure if you can use the station car park for free. Maybe you can.

It is a reasonably flat route - about 800m of elevation gain in 160km, the hardest bit is in the last 20km or so and you'd do that regardless of doing the 100, or 160. I'm planning on going currently, and am going from the Wirral also, I'll be getting the train over from Liverpool to Leeds and riding to Garforth, it's a bit tight timewise and we might have to catch the main group, but you're welcome to join me.
That's a nice offer and an option. Is that the 07:24 TPE from Lime Street then? Cheap at £14 but that's early! I had figured I'd need to ride the 7miles from Leeds to Garforth but not under pressure and relatively before dawn!
I'm actually intending to get train from the real north - well Darlington or York.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People have occasionally just turned unannounced up for rides. One young guy cycled from Manchester to Hebden Bridge for one ride and caught us just leaving the car park where the rest of us had met up. Another minute and he'd have missed us!

Obviously, if you have a GPS with the route on (or are very good at following a DIY route sheet and/or map) you could set off after us and catch us up.

It's 18 months since I last rode 100 km and have only done 50 km about 3 or 4 times since so you have done WAY more than me!

It really is a very flat route. The short hill at Bramham is the only one that should feel at all difficult; that is 12% for 130 m with a much easier rise up to that ramp and then a little more over the top. I just got up that on singlespeed. We won't be doing the steep climbs that we accidentally did at Kippax last time after going the wrong way at a mini roundabout.

The Street view pictures from Station road (3 years old pictures) show yellow lines on one side of the road but lots of cars parked on the other. You might be able to find a spot there?

The station car park is probably only open to rail users?

si_c

Guru
That's a nice offer and an option. Is that the 07:24 TPE from Lime Street then? Cheap at £14 but that's early! I had figured I'd need to ride the 7miles from Leeds to Garforth but not under pressure and relatively before dawn!
I'm actually intending to get train from the real north - well Darlington or York.
I've booked the 6.54 from Lime Street, which gets me to Leeds for 8.22, there is a train from Leeds to Garforth at about 8.40ish, so I may try and hop on that, see how I feel. Currently the plan is to grab some food in Leeds and then hustle to Garforth - it's about 10miles, so I figure an hour to get food and get to the meet up in good time is plenty.

Edit: I think my return was £25 all in.

Buck

Guru

There’s a reasonable sized car park which I believe is free. I can’t imagine it’ll be busy on a Saturday as very much a commuter station.

I’m driving so hoping it will be free and good parking!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
There’s a reasonable sized car park which I believe is free. I can’t imagine it’ll be busy on a Saturday as very much a commuter station.

I’m driving so hoping it will be free and good parking!
I’ll be driving too. If you find the location of the car park, could you let us know, please?

Thanks. Funnily enough, I feel better on the bike, than off it. It is straightening my back up which is causing the problem at the moment. Bending forwards to the handlebars isn't bad; getting off the bike afterwards is harder!

Obviously, I don't want to go crazy on the bike though while my back is sore. I'll compromise on what I do here before Devon, in order to try to be ok for that holiday, and see what I can do there.

I will have 5 days back oop north to recover before Garforth and I will probably do only 30-60 minutes a day in that time so I am rested and fittish for it.

Yes, of course - sorry, I have been slacking! I will remove the question marks when those members confirm, or remove their entries if they say that they can't make it. :whistle:

THE LIST:
And here I'll tag other riders who came along last time, or expressed interest:
Even if only half of those above turn up, it would be a good turnout, and anybody else who would like to join us is welcome to (let us know below)!
Hi @ColinJ
My feet are still very troublesome. It's going to be a long job to get them sorted. I had a standard X ray over a fortnight ago but due to the COVID related backlog the results are not yet available. But that is just the start of the process as I think I will need to have a CT scan. My GP thinks the problem is likely a trapped nerve in my lower back but a standard x ray will not reveal nerve damage so I will have to be patient and wait for the next part of the process.
Thankfully I can still cycle. It's the weight bearing aspect of walking that brings on the pain, even after just a few paces. As soon as I stand still the pain instantly disappears.
I'm having to be careful with the rides I choose to cycle and make sure there are plenty of train stations en route. If I had a 'unfixable on the spot' mechanical issue with the bike it would be too painful to walk several miles to a train station. That said, I am expecting to be ok for the Garforth Ride and looking forward to meeting old friends and new.

Buck

Guru
I’ll be driving too. If you find the location of the car park, could you let us know, please?

Unless @ColinJ disagrees, the postcode for the station/car park is LS25 1PS and the entrance is where Station Road changes to Station Fields.

There is parking just outside the station on the main toad but I may well park in the station car park now it’s all been upgraded (if free of course!)

69643D9E-B53A-4190-9F59-974EAD21243A.jpeg

Top Bottom