FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I don't think so either but those with loose teeth and hips might not agree ;-) Those with loose lips can STFU

At least it's smooth-ish, parts of the Wirral Way round Hooton to Parkgate can be really rough.

At least it's smooth-ish, parts of the Wirral Way round Hooton to Parkgate can be really rough.
And full of *rsey dog walkers, mostly as it became shared from previously being walking only, or horsey in places - but walkers hate the fact the cycling budget paid to resurface it (badly in places, as one comes to expect).

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange at the caravan. 87 Kms with 1200 metres on Tuesday, 53 Kms and 700 metres today. Friday night ride next week. London to Whitstable about 107 Kms. That will be my longest ride of the year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am hoping to do a bit more this evening, but I don't trust myself to uncouch! :laugh:

I took the early morning train with bike yesterday from Rochdale to Chester. Cycled 12 miles from Chester to Hooton then rode the complete Wirral coast via the superb Wirral Way, another 35 miles. Then another 62 miles from Hooton back to Littleborough. It was a glorious summer day. 109 miles in total.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I took the early morning train with bike yesterday from Rochdale to Chester. Cycled 12 miles from Chester to Hooton then rode the complete Wirral coast via the superb Wirral Way, another 35 miles. Then another 62 miles from Hooton back to Littleborough. It was a glorious summer day. 109 miles in total.
Well, you clearly will have no problem with the Garforth ride, apart from escaping from Garforth station in the morning! :laugh:

BTW - I meant to ask you... (Apologies if I already have, which is possible, given my awful memory!) Had you bought a new pair of shoes or walking boots before your foot pain started up? I know several people who have suffered from Morton's neuroma as a result of tight shoes/boots squeezing their feet. I did it to myself too with a pair of new Shimano cycling shoes that caused so much pain in 2 hours that I couldn't walk properly for weeks afterwards.

si_c

Guru
You basically rode past my house then!

Wirral is my area, not a fan of Wirral Way bit rough and usually way too busy with dog walkers. Did you do the Chester Greenway and Burton Marshes to get to Hooton? Far better surface and better behaved dog owners too! Do you have a link to the Hooton Littleborough route at all?

Well, you clearly will have no problem with the Garforth ride, apart from escaping from Garforth station in the morning! :laugh:

BTW - I meant to ask you... (Apologies if I already have, which is possible, given my awful memory!) Had you bought a new pair of shoes or walking boots before your foot pain started up? I know several people who have suffered from Morton's neuroma as a result of tight shoes/boots squeezing their feet. I did it to myself too with a pair of new Shimano cycling shoes that caused so much pain in 2 hours that I couldn't walk properly for weeks afterwards.
Yes, I'd heard about Morton's Neuroma. Unfortunately, I haven't bought any new footwear for at least 2 years. I say 'unfortunately' as I wish it could be that simple as to the cause. It's weird, very painful feet when I walk yet the moment I stand still it's literally like a switch has been operated that instantly stops the pain until I start walking again! The painkillers I was prescribed didn't do much good and had the side effect of fatigue so I quickly went back to just taking paracetamol which do at least give some slight relief.

Wirral is my area, not a fan of Wirral Way bit rough and usually way too busy with dog walkers. Did you do the Chester Greenway and Burton Marshes to get to Hooton? Far better surface and better behaved dog owners too! Do you have a link to the Hooton Littleborough route at all?
Hi Neil, yes I rode the Cheshire Cycleway from Chester to Hooton. Really scenic and pleasant.
Regarding the Wirral Way, my bike has 35mm tyres so coped well with the stretches of rougher surface. The only time I got off the bike was for the few stretches of 20 metres or so between Hoylake and Wallasey where the wind had blown sand from the beach on to the promenade/cycle route. The sand was a bit too deep to risk cycling through it but the inconvenience was very minimal.
I can see what you mean about inconsiderate dog walkers. Fortunately, I am retired so tend to ride these routes on a quieter weekday. I can imagine it being much busier at the weekend, especially a sunny one. I only encountered one inconsiderate dog walker who despite me sounding my bell (which is quite loud) several times well in advance of reaching her and riding at less than walking pace as I approached she failed to control her elderly dog who meandered right across me.

I've attached the gpx file of my route back home to Littleborough from Hooton. It would be good to see you on @ColinJ Garforth century ride.

Attachments

• Hooton_to_Hollers.gpx
    120.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom