FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
I'm following this thread with interest.

Mainly just because it's nice to see people organising rides again. But there is a smidge of a chance I could join for a bit of the ride if I visited family in t'North.

Also you all sound sufficiently decrepit, that I would fit in OK.

You’ll fit in nicely !

colly

Re member eR
Unless @ColinJ disagrees, the postcode for the station/car park is LS25 1PS and the entrance is where Station Road changes to Station Fields.

There is parking just outside the station on the main toad but I may well park in the station car park now it’s all been upgraded (if free of course!)

View attachment 594157
What three words is your friend.^_^

///jots.streamers.darts

I've booked the 6.54 from Lime Street, which gets me to Leeds for 8.22, there is a train from Leeds to Garforth at about 8.40ish, so I may try and hop on that, see how I feel. Currently the plan is to grab some food in Leeds and then hustle to Garforth - it's about 10miles, so I figure an hour to get food and get to the meet up in good time is plenty.

Edit: I think my return was £25 all in.
Scarborough train goes though Garforth doesn't it, must be a greasy spoon for a full breakfast nearby?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unless @ColinJ disagrees, the postcode for the station/car park is LS25 1PS and the entrance is where Station Road changes to Station Fields.
Yes, it would be better to meet on that side of the station - much nicer waiting down there rather than up on the A642.
Also you all sound sufficiently decrepit, that I would fit in OK.
Decrepit is a definite qualifier. :biggrin:
Decrepitude might actually cause problems for @Littgull and me after arrival at the station... :whistle:

There is no easy exit from the York-bound platform - it is steps up to the A642, or over a footbridge to the other side. If my back is ok by then I will take our bikes over the footbridge and Brian can carefully walk over. If my back is still playing up then we might need healthy volunteers to do the bike transfers for us. I'll see how the back is nearer the time. If it is still iffy then details of the care package will have to be negotiated! :laugh:

(Going home will not be a problem because access is good to the Leeds-bound platform.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

On a related, but slightly more serious note...

I really hope that I will be up to doing the imperial century, but if I have back problems on the ride and need to wimp out and take the 100 km shortcut back to Garforth, will somebody please step forward and volunteer to navigate the rest of the ride on my behalf?

I should be okay by then, but you know what bad backs are like! I've had them ease up in a couple of days in the past but I've also had them last for weeks. This one has been going 5 days already.

It looks like I'll be driving to start as that is logistically best option - if I can borrow my car from my wife... If so I'll be there in time to be a domestique, could even pathfind if required as I'll load the route onto my Garmin, though I've no local knowledge at all.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll mention it again now, to avoid any excuse for 'chuntering in the ranks'...

We do a few stretches of cycle path which are not a perfect cycling surface - they are perfectly ok though! You will NOT need a mountain bike or gravel bike. Last time, I was riding a road bike with 25C slicks and had no problems whatsoever but apparently a couple of people behind me didn't like the surface. I can only assume that they were using extremely high tyre pressures or were extremely fussy about their bikes. If necessary, lower your tyre pressures by a few PSI, and watch where you are going - you'll be fine.

Yes, it would be better to meet on that side of the station - much nicer waiting down there rather than up on the A642.

Decrepitude might actually cause problems for @Littgull and me after arrival at the station... :whistle:

There is no easy exit from the York-bound platform - it is steps up to the A642, or over a footbridge to the other side. If my back is ok by then I will take our bikes over the footbridge and Brian can carefully walk over. If my back is still playing up then we might need healthy volunteers to do the bike transfers for us. I'll see how the back is nearer the time. If it is still iffy then details of the care package will have to be negotiated! :laugh:

(Going home will not be a problem because access is good to the Leeds-bound platform.)
A 'like' not for the possibility of a painful footbridge walk but for the humour in it :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just found a video made on the Wetherby to Spofforth cycle path.

It was dry when we rode it last time, and I have booked good weather for 10th July (and a few days beforehand) so it should be dry again this time! :whistle:

si_c

Guru
I just found a video made on the Wetherby to Spofforth cycle path.

It was dry when we rode it last time, and I have booked good weather for 10th July (and a few days beforehand) so it should be dry again this time! :whistle:

Doesn't look too bad, I've ridden worse on 23mm tyres at 120psi in the past.

Top Bottom