FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 23rd March 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
A lot of these roads are local to me, there is a cyclist friendly cafe at Birkin, but not sure what time it closes, it usually very busy on Saturday mornings, instead of taking the dotted shot cut {if doing the metric version) carry on South to West Haddlesey then head West to Birkin. If coming from the South into Birkin turn right and head east at the junction, the cafes about 400 yards on the right.

Its not completely flat, but nothing to a Pennine dweller, the climb past the windmill up to Bramham will come as a shock on single speed, likewise the climb out of Campsall to Barsdale Bar but you can avoid this by going via Norton and Womersley.

At the start, its a climb to Barwick and a few lumps to and through Aberford.

The dog leg at Clifford is not tarmacked but its not very long.

I wouldn't ride it on single speed, but I'm a bit of a wimp on the hills nowadays.

We have arranged something with friends on Saturday so won't be there, its a shame as I would have done some of the route but not all.

Birkin Cafe closes 15:30 Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/Birkin-Fisheries-Tea-Room-174943809332954/

The Courtyard Tearoom at Womersley closes at 16:00 on Saturdays, but would mean changing your route.

http://www.thecourtyardwomersley.co.uk/

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I can't make the 23rd, but if it does get put back a week due to weather give me a shout & I'll join for some or all of the ride. Garforth would mean using TPE trains & booking bikes which could be an issue, & the trains back on Saturday afternoon are always busy :sad: but I would have other options :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I could be tempted to join in for part of the ride, but don't know yet if i'll be available.

As @Afnug says above, there are a few ascents on there that will keep the legs warm - the Windmill being one, especially if it's into the wind (it usually is!). I've done well over 40mph descending it...:whistle:

To avoid the section of rutted, stony farm track / bridleway on the dog leg between Bramham and Boston Spa, you could cross the A1(M) bridge and use the smoothly tarmaced West Woods Road which runs parallel?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used cycle.travel to give me a rough draft of the route and I obviously haven't checked its suggestions as carefully as I usually do! :okay:

Its not completely flat, but nothing to a Pennine dweller, the climb past the windmill up to Bramham will come as a shock on single speed...
I just took a closer look at that - the steepest section is 230 metres at 9% which is about the maximum that I would want to do in my 52/19 gear. It sounds similar to the lump I put into last year's Humber Bridge ride, which turned out to be harder than I'd anticipated. I did just manage to ride up it but it hurt! I'll see how I get on with this one. (It's not far to walk up if I have to.)

... likewise the climb out of Campsall to Barsdale Bar but you can avoid this by going via Norton and Womersley.
Oops - that's one I did spot, but I forgot to edit the file! I developed the route last autumn and haven't gone back through it since. I'll put that change in. Cycle.travel always goes for quieter roads even if it means going up and down otherwise unnecessary climbs; this is one example.

At the start, its a climb to Barwick and a few lumps to and through Aberford.

The dog leg at Clifford is not tarmacked but its not very long.

I wouldn't ride it on single speed, but I'm a bit of a wimp on the hills nowadays.

We have arranged something with friends on Saturday so won't be there, its a shame as I would have done some of the route but not all.

The Courtyard Tearoom at Womersley closes at 16:00 on Saturdays, but would mean changing your route.

http://www.thecourtyardwomersley.co.uk/
It's a pity that you can't make it. Maybe see you on the Humber Bridge ride later in the year?

I'll divert through Womersley but I think it will be 50-50 whether we get there in time for the cafe. (If there are no strong winds to contend with, no mechanical problems, and we don't stop too long at the first cafe we should get there before closing time, otherwise maybe not?)

I could be tempted to join in for part of the ride, but don't know yet if i'll be available.

As @Afnug says above, there are a few ascents on there that will keep the legs warm - the Windmill being one, especially if it's into the wind (it usually is!). I've done well over 40mph descending it...:whistle:

To avoid the section of rutted, stony farm track / bridleway on the dog leg between Bramham and Boston Spa, you could cross the A1(M) bridge and use the smoothly tarmaced West Woods Road which runs parallel?
It would be good to see you.

Cycle.travel suggests that the surface of the cycle path is okay except for the very short section in the dogleg. Unless it really is a pain, I think I'd rather stick to the path. Paradise Way and West Woods Rd do both appear to have an excellent surface but they also look the kind of roads that some drivers would speed along?

Might come out of retirement for a flat one! Can you book us a sunny day?
Ooh, a real 'blast from the past' - I didn't realise you were still on the forum, Steve! I'll do my very best to sort the weather out for us and hope to see you in Garforth.

I can't make the 23rd, but if it does get put back a week due to weather give me a shout & I'll join for some or all of the ride. Garforth would mean using TPE trains & booking bikes which could be an issue, & the trains back on Saturday afternoon are always busy :sad: but I would have other options :okay:
Hopefully we will stick to the 23rd, but I will definitely remind you if the ride gets put back a week.

PS If anybody fancies a hillier century (imperial or metric), I will be organising one for the 6th April. (~100 miles from Todmorden, ~100 km from Whalley. To a cafe at Conder Green near Glasson Dock.)

Venod

Eh up
Further thoughts on the route that may or may not help.

The last time I rode the cycle path from Wetherby to Spofforth it was muddy in places.

Likewise the path from Pollington across to Sykehouse has some big puddles if wet a lot slalom type riding required.

I went down the road over Haywood rail crossing in February I was held up 20 minutes while 3 trains passed (its the main East Coast Main Line) then I was held up at the second crossing for 10 minutes, my usual route would be carry on at Trumfleet to the next right turn to Thorpe In Balne, the road goes over the main line on this route, plus the roads are in better condition.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Further thoughts on the route that may or may not help.

The last time I rode the cycle path from Wetherby to Spofforth it was muddy in places.

Likewise the path from Pollington across to Sykehouse has some big puddles if wet a lot slalom type riding required.

I went down the road over Haywood rail crossing in February I was held up 20 minutes while 3 trains passed (its the main East Coast Main Line) then I was held up at the second crossing for 10 minutes, my usual route would be carry on at Trumfleet to the next right turn to Thorpe In Balne, the road goes over the main line on this route, plus the roads are in better condition.
Thanks. I will check your suggestions when on the laptop. I have experienced a bit of mud on The Lines and that path across a field, but it seemed like opportunities to cross rivers and avoid traffic were limited. I had forgotten delays at those level crossings!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes, traffic can be a bit quicker on Paradise Way and West Woods Road, although it's generally light on both.

The cycle path is literally just a shared path - two abreast should be manageable providing there is no-one coming the opposite way. As you say most of it is good quality tarmac, which makes that dogleg section all the more frustrating.

Steve H

Large Member
Ooh, a real 'blast from the past' - I didn't realise you were still on the forum, Steve! I'll do my very best to sort the weather out for us and hope to see you in Garforth.

No I don’t really login / participate on the forum much. However I still cycle / drink beer with @Kestevan and he keeps me in the loop on a few forum rides every now and again. Would be good to ride with you again!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have been looking at the route and bearing in mind comments above ...

My thoughts:
  • Stick to NCN 67 cycleway between Bramham and Boston Spa, putting up with rough 'dogleg' at Clifford.
  • EITHER cycleway from Wetherby to Spofforth (might be muddy) and lane to North Deighton OR more obvious direct route on B6164 (how busy on a Saturday lunchtime?) which would lose some distance but that can be made up elsewhere.
  • Instead of potentially muddy NCN 62 between Pollington and Sykehouse, how about: Snaith, West Cowick (is it possible/permitted to ride past Cowick Hall to East Cowick? If so do that, otherwise get onto A1041 sooner), A1041, south on the A614 for 1km and then turn right onto what looks like a really nice little road to Sykehouse, rejoin original route.
  • Instead of Trumfleet, Hayward, Sutton ... do Trumfleet, Thorpe in Balne, Sutton. We would still have 2 rail crossings but one of them has no barriers and the other has pedestrian gates so we could potentially cross (OBVIOUSLY WITH EXTREME CAUTION!) even if trains were due.
  • Skip the unnecessary climb from Campsall towards Barnsdale Bar and proceed via Norton instead.
  • Instead of riding directly from Little Smeaton to Stapleton, go via Wormsley instead and hope to get there before 15:30 to give us time for a quick stop at the cafe there.
  • Probably stick to The Lines back into Garforth. Even if it were muddy in places, at least that would be at the end of the ride. We would have a last minute option to divert via Kippax instead if we chose to.
Reactions? :whistle:

I will replot the route once we have finalised it.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
No I don’t really login / participate on the forum much. However I still cycle / drink beer with @Kestevan and he keeps me in the loop on a few forum rides every now and again. Would be good to ride with you again!

Tbh we're taking a big risk asking Steve. . As far as I can tell he's had a major mechanical on every single forum ride he's ever attempted.... I reckon chances of him completing a hundred miles without his wheels exploding or the drive train snapping are pretty slim.

And if our mate Mark turns up then all bets are off as he can't ride to the end of the street without something falling off.

colly

Re member eR
The section between Wetherby and Spofforth is a nice little off road few miles and it can be abit muddy after a rainy spell but it's rarely too bad. It gets well used by walkers, dog walkers, and kids on bikes ( as it should be) so the hold ups from other users might be more of a problem than puddles. Having said that it's not exactly Oxford Street.

It'll be fine.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Tbh we're taking a big risk asking Steve. . As far as I can tell he's had a major mechanical on every single forum ride he's ever attempted.... I reckon chances of him completing a hundred miles without his wheels exploding or the drive train snapping are pretty slim.

And if our mate Mark turns up then all bets are off as he can't ride to the end of the street without something falling off.
I was riding along on one forum ride with Steve and telling him that some CC members accused me of jinxing them. A few seconds later he snapped a spoke! :eek: :laugh:

Venod

Eh up
Snaith, West Cowick (is it possible/permitted to ride past Cowick Hall to East Cowick? If so do that, otherwise get onto A1041 sooner), A1041, south on the A614 for 1km and then turn right onto what looks like a really nice little road to Sykehouse

Cowick Hall is company offices and private as far as I know,and you wouldn't gain anything, as the road comes back to the A1041.

A1041 then A614 back to Sykehouse is OK, its part of Knottingley Velo chaingang route, but only Tuesday and Thursdays, but don't be put off NCN 62 its just a matter of puddle dodging, I have only seen it impassable twice at the Topham Ferry end where it floods.

Trumfleet, Thorpe in Balne, Sutton is a much better route than Haywood, its a bridge over the East Coast Mainline now, and the other line has barriers.

If going via Norton to Womersley go via Norton Priory, this avoids a little climb at Smeaton.

The Haywood crossing has had a few foreign artics causing chaos, they set the satnav for Haywood thinking they were going to Heywood Manchester !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cowick Hall is company offices and private as far as I know,and you wouldn't gain anything, as the road comes back to the A1041.
I saw that the (chemical?) company had saved the old hall. I read some walkers saying that the company were okay with them walking past the building and wondered if that applied to cyclists too. I'd rather cycle on quieter roads and then past a fine old building than spend more time on an A-road, but it's no big deal really.

A1041 then A614 back to Sykehouse is OK, its part of Knottingley Velo chaingang route, but only Tuesday and Thursdays, but don't be put off NCN 62 its just a matter of puddle dodging, I have only seen it impassable twice at the Topham Ferry end where it floods.
I'm sure that NCN 62 is what I cycled over years ago. There were just a few puddles when I did it.

Ok, I'll leave that bit in but put the other way on my GPS as well, just in case.

Trumfleet, Thorpe in Balne, Sutton is a much better route than Haywood, its a bridge over the East Coast Mainline now, and the other line has barriers.
Ah - Streetview is 10 years out of date!

If going via Norton to Womersley go via Norton Priory, this avoids a little climb at Smeaton.
I'm not disputing it, but I'm used to thinking of climbs in terms of hundreds of metres, not metres or tens of metres - ha ha! Still, no point in adding difficulty for the sake of it so via Norton Priory it is.

The Haywood crossing has had a few foreign artics causing chaos, they set the satnav for Haywood thinking they were going to Heywood Manchester !
Blimey!

Mind you, I have seen the most ludicrous satnav errors round here. Lots of old hilltop bridleways have signs at either end of them warning drivers that they are not roads.

Top Bottom