FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 23rd March 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I went that way this morning and found one flooded road just outside Beal.
Made it through ok though.

I'l lpost some photos when l get in later tonight.

So the road from Birkin to Beal is flooded but it's only 6'' deep and I passed through it without any problems, not even getting my feet wet.

20190321_122247.jpg

The fields around are still under water in places but if there's no rain between now and Saturday things should be ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just want to say thanks Colin for all the work you're putting in to organise this ride. It's much appreciated.:okay:
No problem - I can be very lazy and it helps to motivate me to get me out on longer rides! :laugh:

I went that way this morning and found one flooded road just outside Beal.
Made it through ok though.

So the road from Birkin to Beal is flooded but it's only 6'' deep and I passed through it without any problems, not even getting my feet wet.

View attachment 458636

The fields around are still under water in places but if there's no rain between now and Saturday things should be ok.
I hope that is as bad as it gets!

My pal Carrie rang tonight to say that she intends to start with us. She hasn't yet chosen what to do after that. She may...
  • Ride with us to Spofforth but then head home via the hills towards Bingley
  • Do the 100 km version
  • Do the full ride
I was just checking my bike this evening and discovered that the bolt holding its chain tensioner on was loose, which explains why I have dropped the chain a couple of times recently. It's a good job that I have fixed it because if the chain tensioner fails then the bike is unrideable. (I've had bolts fall off bikes before now and been unable to find them in the road!)

Venod

Eh up

That has dropped very quickly compared to my picture from Tuesday, the hedgerow to the right in your pic is the one nearly under water in mine.

colly

Re member eR
That has dropped very quickly compared to my picture from Tuesday, the hedgerow to the right in your pic is the one nearly under water in mine.
Yes so it has. I didn't recognise the road in your photo but that's the exact spot.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll check that the cafe at Cawood Park is going to be open. Mind you, we found in the past that there weren't a lot of alternatives nearby ... While I am at it I will ask if they have had any flooding problems.
I just rang them and they are open. I said that 7 or 8 of us should be arriving at around 12:30 and that we would be wanting coffee, cake, sandwiches, that sort of thing.

One of the staff lives at Ulleskelf (wonderful Viking name!) and said that it was flooded there last weekend but is now clear.

Apologies in advance for any mud patches that we encounter, and for the inevitable headwind later on but hopefully we will not see any rain.

I will text @Slioch if Brian and I are going to be delayed by more than 5 minutes, otherwise see you at Garforth at around 09:10.

Venod

Eh up
@ColinJ

I have been down the path from Sykhouse to Pollington this morning, its very rideable (IMO) no mud just a few puddles to avoid.

Arrangements have changed for tomorrow and I might get out for a ride, we have two granddaughters staying tonight so it depends what plans Mrs Afnug has for them tomorrow, if I do get out do you think you will be at Bramham about 11:30? but nothings definite so don't be surprised if I don't show.

20190322_120413 (1).jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ

I have been down the path from Sykhouse to Pollington this morning, its very rideable (IMO) no mud just a few puddles to avoid.

Arrangements have changed for tomorrow and I might get out for a ride, we have two granddaughters staying tonight so it depends what plans Mrs Afnug has for them tomorrow, if I do get out do you think you will be at Bramham about 11:30? but nothings definite so don't be surprised if I don't show.

View attachment 458706
Oh, that looks a lot better than I was expecting - great!

It would be nice if you could make an appearance on the ride. I'm hoping that we will start fairly promptly around 09:15 and average 20 km/h. Bramham first time is at 14 km so we ought to get there around 10:00. The top of the climb to the windmill as we come back into Bramham is at 49 km so we ought to be getting there at ... er, about 11:45. Obviously, we may have problems and be later than that, or no problems at all and riding briskly get there a little earlier. I can't see us being there much before 11:30. Other 'guesstimated' ETAs - start of cycle path at B6164 in Wetherby, 10:20; Spofforth end of path, 10:35; junction of Knaresborough Rd and Ox Close Ln, 10:45; Cowthorpe, 11:00; Walton, 11:35.

Give us a shout if you come out and are standing at the roadside waiting. (I had one ride with a loose arrangement like this and got some very strange looks from random cyclists I encountered when I asked each of them if they were called VeryStrangeCycleChatUsername ... :laugh:)

I'll be on this bike ...

Singlespeed Specialized Allez.jpg

(It has a dark saddle now with an 'Assguard'-clone stuffed under it.)

PS I hardly needed the chain tensioner with that new chain. Now, it is having to take up a lot of slack. I will probably need to replace the chain soon but I'll ride it a bit longer as long as the tensioner is not struggling to cope

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Give us a shout if you come out and are standing at the roadside waiting.

If I am out it won't be early, I will just ride in the opposite direction and hope I time it right so your past the windmill !

Just catching up on the ride thread after a hectic week.

Some good work done by @Afnug and @colly regarding reccies of the potentially flooded parts and also @ColinJ for reviewing the overall route..
It's looking good regarding the weather. See you all tomorrow.

colly

Re member eR
Thanks for organising things @ColinJ. A good turnout with 12 of us to begin. 13 at one stage. Nice to see some familiar faces and of the new faces I never really got to chat to anyone before I broke for home. Next time maybe.

Thanks again @ColinJ :okay:

Top Bottom