Flat pedal suggestions for road/gravel bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
very raised pins, many are height adjustable for grip and some have a serrated cage edge as well as pins, I'd avoid them personally, depends how prone you are to accidentally spinning the pedals when looking to start off.

I used to use just ordinary SPD shoes with a covering over the plate area. many come with this covering which can be peeled off or in some cases unscrewed.

specialized-taho-mtb-shoe-00123505-9999-1.jpg

So you get the stiffness, something to hold errant laces from wrapping around your pedals and the grip. Those are just for illustration. They're Taho's but the design has changed now.

Last edited:
You can use any footwear with flats, from winter hiking boots to Oxfords orBrogues.
I like to match the grippiness of the dole to the slipperyness of the pedal. As pedals wear, they get less gripy. BMX type pins work well with suitable soles (Vans?) But pins can hurt if you slip

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

I wouldn't class them as aggressive at all... they're big and flat and grippy. They can hurt if they end up in the shin, but they're so blummin' grippy this only happens to me when i'm pushing it... user error!
I like the idea of having something substantial under foot, and wide enough for the broadness of my feet. As long as the combination of footwear and pedals has a good comfort and grip ratio, I am happy with that. In all my years of riding bikes I have probably only struck my shins half a dozen times whilst riding, it's not something that happens very often. Walking with the bike, however, is another matter and yes, user error springs to mind.

Still working on trying to narrow down suggestions...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

I just have el-cheapo Decathlon plastic pedals on my bike - I've added plastic 'MTB' toe clips and ride in what seem to now be called 'approach shoes' unless I'm commuting, in which case I wear the shoes I want to wear the rest of the day.
@KneesUp I'm not a fan of toe clips even though I have had them on several mtbs in the past. I'll look into the approach shoes....I'm guessing the so-called sticky sole works well in combination with the flat, pinned pedals. These are like the five tens I mentioned earlier and tend to have quite a flat sole.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

very raised pins, many are height adjustable for grip and some have a serrated cage edge as well as pins, I'd avoid them personally, depends how prone you are to accidentally spinning the pedals when looking to start off.

I used to use just ordinary SPD shoes with a covering over the plate area. many come with this covering which can be peeled off or in some cases unscrewed.

View attachment 464462

So you get the stiffness, something to hold errant laces from wrapping around your pedals and the grip. Those are just for illustration. They're Taho's but the design has changed now.
@Crackle I usually have my right foot ready on the pedal for setting off and my left foot just naturally falls into place on the other pedal so there is little to zero pedal spin when setting off. It does happen from time to time but it's not an issue for me. I like the look of the spd shoes in the image and so it's quite difficult to decide what to go for....personally, it's function usually over form but sometimes the form plays an important role of the fucntion.

I don't know which would be best:
1. Flat, sticky soled shoe
2. Trail running shoe that doesn't have too deep a tread
3. MTB spd shoe

There is much to think about :blink:

vickster

Legendary Member
I tried to use SPD shoes with the cleat plate in situ once or twice on flat pedals and kept getting dreadful cramp in my toes when pushing away from lights. Soon fitted the cleats and clipless pedals!

@Crackle I usually have my right foot ready on the pedal for setting off and my left foot just naturally falls into place on the other pedal so there is little to zero pedal spin when setting off. It does happen from time to time but it's not an issue for me. I like the look of the spd shoes in the image and so it's quite difficult to decide what to go for....personally, it's function usually over form but sometimes the form plays an important role of the fucntion.

I don't know which would be best:
1. Flat, sticky soled shoe
2. Trail running shoe that doesn't have too deep a tread
3. MTB spd shoe

There is much to think about :blink:
I think any of those combos will work. I use the Wellgo DMR copies on my touring bike and ride them with lightweight running shoes, I use the same pedals on my MTN bike and ride them with walking boots or shoes. I only use cycling shoes with cleats these days but used to use them with toe clips.

Last edited:

G3CWI

Veteran
I use Shimano Saints on all my bikes. I ride in tennis shoes from Sports Direct. Like the op, I see no personal benefit in using clipless pedals.

My profile picture show me winning a stage of the Tour in said gear (well to be accurate it doesn't).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@Crackle I'm looking into DMR and MKS but am still undecided as to what shoe would be most comfortable with those pedals. What made you change to clipless? I know it's doubtful I'll ever use clipless.

@G3CWI Which model of Shimano Saints? Some are unavailable. I do like the fact you're wearing tennis shoes, are they usually flat soled? Just goes to show choosing things like pedals and shoes is a very personal thing and we all have different preferences.

I started using toeclips years ago and clipped or clipless pedals, however you want to refer to them, became an extension of that. For me there's a feeling of security, my feet aren't going to slip off the pedals in rain or over bumps, cattle grids etc.., you'd think that would be counter-intuitive given I ride flats on a mtn bike but the way you ride and distribute weight is different to a road bike.

Also my feet are in the optimum position which helps me keep my shape and pedalling form on the bike. I notice this when I ride flats touring. I sometimes find myself chopping at the pedalstroke, particularly as I tire and realize my feet have gone sideways a bit and I've slipped off the saddle and slumped a bit, I do sometimes fit spd's back on the touring bike depending on where I'm going and how far.

I don't consciously pull up with SPD's, although the ability to do that is particularly useful on the occasional steep ramp or when trying to accelerate hard, which is rare but happens, it's just about maintaining position and form for me. So overall clipped pedals suit most of the riding I do but not all and I think it is a personal choice with not much to recommend one or the other except preference and riding style. You do get used to clipped pedals quite quickly. I spent some time leaning against a lampost clipping and unclipping and then went round the block a few times practising and that was enough but of course not everybody has the same experience.

si_c

Guru
I really like these, use them on the MTB when I'm not using clipless. Feet don't move no matter what the weather, and they are solidly built.

Alloy too.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@Crackle I totally get what you're saying and I agree with you. Everyone is different and has a personal preference. I'm not against clipless per se, it's just I have knee issues and don't want to aggravate the issue further, plus I really like the freedom of moving my feet on the pedals to suit the ever changing situations when cycling. I like the fact that you ride flats on the mtb but prefer clipless on the road bike. It's kind of weird but also makes sense at the same time that that works for you. I have only ever known flats. I, too, notice from time to time that I slip off the saddle and my feel have moved sideways slightly but tome that's not big deal and I can adjust instantly to whatever position I feel more comfortable with at the time, which could be different in 10 or 15 minutes after that.

I also like the fact that you find position and form important. I am of the same mind but have a different take on this because my comfort is constantly changing in my still early juncture of road cycling and I find it difficult to stay in the saddle for prolonged periods of time. My position and form changes periodically because I have an old back injury, which reminds me from time to time that being in the same position for too long can be uncomfortable. I know the clipless vs flats can be a controversial issue but it really isn't. Everything is down to personal preference and in many cases medical reasoning. But I like your level-headedness. Cheers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@Heltor Chasca What is it that makes the Nukeproof Neutron EVO pedals stand out above all others? I guess they are fairly light weight being a nylon-reinforced composite but what is it that makes them better than the DMRs and Wellgo variety of similar products? I'm always interested to hear peoples' options about how they perform in the real world.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@si_c I haven't really looked in Boardman products yet. What footwear are you using with these pedals?

Top Bottom