Flat Pedals For A Roadbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
From a one off 10 years ago? :scratch:
It was enough to make me think about pedals as being something which could fail.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
MKS make great pedals. They’re more expensive than Wellgo too, but the bearings are fantastic and they last and last. I’ve fitted a set of Ezy removables to one bike for extra security when in town. Alloy cages and flat for around £45
Pricier but for the no1 bike, MKS urban flats with a toe cage they make, so the pedal is always right there and works really well with any ordinary footwear.
The alloy cheaper ones are chrome or black, and are really well made.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
the trick with toe straps (and single sided SPD's) is knowing when to take your foot off and the put it back onto the pedal, once the crank is rotating the weight that causes them to hang down is overcome by centrifugal force (centripetal actually) so they magically flip over to be the right way up at the top of the cranks rotation

a.twiddler

Veteran
One unexpected advantage of composite/ resin pedals is that in a crowded bike space such as mine they are less likely to gouge the paint on your other bikes.

As to flipping over toe straps , I think it's just a knack. Some pedals are better than others. I had a pair of platform pedals on my old Claud Butler which had done good service on previous bikes but for some reason gave me knee pain after longer rides on this bike. I bought a pair of cheap resin pedals which could accept clips and straps and the knee pain went away! Possibly they allowed my feet to move outwards slightly and it was enough to take whatever pressure was on my knees away. I think that they were Wellgo.

When I bought my used Revolution tourer I was ready to do the same thing but it came with double sided pedals, suitable for clips and straps on one side, and clipless on the other. Although they were in good condition, I couldn't make out any maker's name. (Edit -they are Shimano. No idea which model). The toeclips make them hang upside down but somehow when moving off my toe makes contact with it quite naturally, and it flips over and accepts my foot without effort, even if I haven't ridden it for some time. There must be an element of muscle memory and "what you're used to" but this is definitely one of the ones that is better than others, for me.

I have had the odd creaking or clicking pedal over the years but never had one fail on me. They have either got horribly scruffy or rusty with use and been replaced or been sold with it when I sold a bike.

As for the original topic, for a bike that is used round town where there are many junctions or on surfaces where you might need to get a foot down in a hurry, flat pedals have a practical purpose. Perhaps not completely in tune with a sporty image, but they work.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got a CF Roadbike which came with toe straps so I chucked on a spare set of flat MTB pedals I had lying around.

I want flats on all of my bikes just for consistency (so I don't have to try and remember which type I have when I go to put my foot on the floor).

The MTB pedals look a bit naff on the roadbike and the toe strap pedals without the toes straps tend to flip over the wrong way up (they are only flat on one side).

Any recommendations for flat pedals suitable for a road bike?
what about single sided spd pedals , i use a600

vickster

Legendary Member
They’re too small to use with trainers though unless you have tiny feet
And a pita as they need to be flipped for clipping in or using as flats
Worst of both worlds!
(Hence flogging them you iirc :laugh:)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They’re too small to use with trainers though unless you have tiny feet
And a pita as they need to be flipped for clipping in or using as flats
Worst of both worlds!
(Hence flogging them you iirc :laugh:)
yes i was quoting the fact that the OP thought mtb didnt look the part on a road bike

+1 for Wellgos.

The flats that came with my road bike are now fitted to my MTB, as I prefer to ride unclipped on dodgy surfaces. Otherwise I've got the Decathlon own-brand single-sided SPD pedals on the roadie and on the hybrid - I think they're about £25 for a pair. The platform on the non-SPD side is similar to the Wellgos.

I don't always ride in cleats, so it's nice to have that flexibility.

And as @raleighnut says, you get used to finding the side of the pedal that you want.

Drago

Legendary Member
yes i was quoting the fact that the OP thought mtb didnt look the part on a road bike
Even though the very first SPD's were actually marketed as touring bike pedals, not MTB...

And who will see them once ones feet are upon them?

Comcerns over the visual aspect are a preposterous contention - SPD's don't look any less clunky than SL's, and no one who isn't a bell end will care what you have on your bikes.

Punkawallah

Über Member
If your pedal will not sit the 'right' way up, thought of attaching weights (nuts, bolts, washers curtain weights)?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
And who will see them once ones feet are upon them?

Comcerns over the visual aspect are a preposterous contention....
When I'm actually riding, nobody will see them.

But when I'm parked up next to the pub, I don't want some smart arse looking at my entry level Boardman road bike and scoffing at my Amazon bought multi coloured MTB pedals.

I'm a bit self conscious about these things.

Top Bottom