Flat spot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been flogging a back wheel on the daily commute for far to long up until the pandemic. Finally got around to tension and lateral buckle but spot. What to do apart from rebuild and see if rim is round without spokes and possibly consider replacing rim?

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Soon as I get round to connecting mechs and road testing rebuilt, I will access whether I can live with it for the time being.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Finally got around to tension and lateral buckle but [flat] spot.
What's the problem then? Loosen the spokes pulling the rim down where it's "flat". Edit: Tightening up all the other spokes will make it happen (assumes rim is not structurally damaged).
Sort out the "lateral buckle".
Sorry of I don't understand you' English.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Not sure I fully understand myself, left and right wobble is now sorted. But I don't think merely loosening spokes will allow the rim to spring back, especially as is an old single walled 27 inch rim. I havn't all that much experience dealing with this problem and have only done the most basic research into it a v. long time ago.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can have a go with a hammer and a block of wood, but the spokes need to be loosened all round first. It is a lot of work and not really worth it if you can buy a new rim. The old one will never be quite right.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Nice Vid, not sure if I will get round to manufacture for amatuer use, will have to see how I get on with wheel. I guess most average bike shops would condemn the wheel and try and sell a new one. Thanx Overmind just knew Cyclechat would come up trumps again.

Top Bottom