Flat to drop conversion questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've read through a few of the other conversion threads but either I missed it or I didn't find the exact answer. I'm thinking seriously of converting my flat bar '97 Marin Bear Valley to drops due to getting some hand discomfort over longer rides, which I don't get on drops.

It's a 7 speed, so am I correct in thinking that any 7 speed shimano brifter will be compatible as pull ratios only changed with the advent of 9 speeds, regardless of it being a mtn bike originally?

It has V brakes so I'd also need a brake travel adaptor?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes, any 7 speed shifter will work. IIRC 8 speed is the same spacing too.
Would mini Vs work for you?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You might need to go to mini cantis to fit the pull of the road levers.
That would probably knock the project on the head for me as it would mean ars'ing about with hangers and cantis are just rubbish. Has anyone used travel adaptors or mini v's?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
From a pull perspective they would but no idea which would be a better option, mini-v's or travel adaptors?
I think Mini V's are better. Travel Agents are good, but they are also, as adapters, more of a way to get the v-brakes to perform like mini V's would in the same application. Why have more than you need to provide the same action? and the adaptation they provide, if memory serves, is not as good as a mini-V.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think Mini V's are better. Travel Agents are good, but they are also, as adapters, more of a way to get the v-brakes to perform like mini V's would in the same application. Why have more than you need to provide the same action? and the adaptation they provide, if memory serves, is not as good as a mini-V.
Similar cost to the travel adaptors too, so probably worth considering.

I'm also reading I can make it an 8 or 9 speed by using a 9 or 10 speed cassette and leaving one cog out and it should fit on the 7 speed hub. Naturally it would need a different chain but not a different dérailleur and give me more lever choice.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was going to mention the 8-from-9 option. I'd be a bit wary of using a 7 speed mech on 10 speed, but it might work and is worth trying.
Might save the cost of a rear mech.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I was going to mention the 8-from-9 option. I'd be a bit wary of using a 7 speed mech on 10 speed, but it might work and is worth trying.
Might save the cost of a rear mech.
I was slightly doubtful but like you say, worth a try. I've been contemplating making this change for a while, so I might consider building a new wheelset anyhow. I can't quite decide how far to take it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You are right that any (Shimano) 7sp road shifter should handle a (Shimano) MTB rear mech. The cable pull change happened when MTBs went 10sp.

Another option to look at for the brakes is to get bar end shifters and use Tektro RL-520 brake levers which are designed to work v-brakes. That's what I just did with my hybrid to drop bar conversion.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You are right that any (Shimano) 7sp road shifter should handle a (Shimano) MTB rear mech. The cable pull change happened when MTBs went 10sp.

Another option to look at for the brakes is to get bar end shifters and use Tektro RL-520 brake levers which are designed to work v-brakes. That's what I just did with my hybrid to drop bar conversion.
Tah. I read your thread; I think I'd prefer brifters rather than bar end shifters, however, it's a possibility as it's the hand position I'm really after.

Top Bottom