Flatout in the Fens 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rallybiker

Rule #85
After some advice/reviews on the 155 miler from anyone who's done the event previously. Is it as much a killer as I suspect it may be? I've heard stories of some riders coming in totally white due to salt from drying sweat! :-/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not done that one (excluded by rules) or anything quite that long, but I've ridden a couple of 100ish fen rides and it'll be very different depending on what the weather does. Aerodynamics, comfort in one position and good gearing will help in most, but stability will be important if crosswinds are strong. Depending exactly which roads they're using, wider tyres and extra hand padding may be very useful.

If it rains, there'll be nowhere to hide, so make sure your kit is still good to ride in after you've stood under a running shower :laugh:

Me, I should be riding from Lynnsport to the Wisbech Rose Fair the day before. I'm all about the petals ;)

adyc

Not done that ride, but being a Fen rider all year round then I have some experience to share.

The route (which most of which I have ridden at some point) is all very open, the wind will play a big part in the day. All the roads are shall we say an "acceptable" condition, some better than others.
If you get with a nice group and take it turns to share the wind, then this will make the day a lot easier.
If you're into distance, which as you're contemplating the ride then you must be, then I would say it's a great one to tick off the list.

P.S we did the "Round Norfolk" last year which was 200 miles...bit different as it included the North Norfolk coast line, it's not happening this year but it's a great ride to do if they organise it again. Not the same company though.

Not done that ride, but being a Fen rider all year round then I have some experience to share.

The route (which most of which I have ridden at some point) is all very open, the wind will play a big part in the day. All the roads are shall we say an "acceptable" condition, some better than others.
If you get with a nice group and take it turns to share the wind, then this will make the day a lot easier.
If you're into distance, which as you're contemplating the ride then you must be, then I would say it's a great one to tick off the list.

P.S we did the "Round Norfolk" last year which was 200 miles...bit different as it included the North Norfolk coast line, it's not happening this year but it's a great ride to do if they organise it again. Not the same company though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Who needs Pave when you have fen roads:wacko::biggrin:.

Oh and it'll feel windy whatever the forecast says and will probably feel like it's in your face all the way round;mind you get a nice tailwind and boooom!:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Top Bottom