Flemish NRttK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or how about a Friday evening train (or ride) up to Harwich and a leisurely overnight cruise to Hoek, then a pleasant 90-mile (flat) leg stretch (or train) down to Brussels during Saturday?
This was my thought when I saw this (brilliant) plan

U

User169

I think I'm in for this one. I can get a regular IC train with the bike to brussel and it only takes a couple of hours. The plan to get home would be to ride to breskens, get the ferry to Vlissingen and then train home.

What do you suggest on the lighting front? Will some LEDs be OK, or should I look for sometjing a bit more powerful?

Vlaanderen by night - this is such a great idea Swarm Catcher!

is it possible to get from Dunkerque to Brussels by train without going via Lille? The map shows a line going northeast to Diksmuide, but Rail Europe (which is a crap site) isn't having it. I suppose one could ride to De Panne and take the direct train to Brussels http://www.belgianrail.be/jp/sncb-n...eqnr=1&ident=6w.017890111.1367172995&OK#focus

Dell, once the little ones are asleep I will have a further play on the Belgian railways site and have a look.

This morning I did a recon of routes out of town to get to fietsknoppen 52. I now have something which should gives us frite, fashion, cobbles, a basilica and all with a minimum of tramlines.

This weekend is also Brussels city festival weekend "Irisfest" and I believe there will be live music on the Grand Place to accompany the waffles

Dell, it looks as if all trains go via Lille, but that there are non Eurostar or TGV options that would allow the bikes to travel. The down side two ( lille and tournai) or three ( Hazebrouch, Lille, Gent) changes and a three hour journey time .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There is a railway line between Dunkirk and De Panne. When you ride alongside it it'll be obvious that the number of trains that actually use it is tiny. There aren't all that many international local railways!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
is it possible to get from Dunkerque to Brussels by train without going via Lille? . . . . .
. . . .I suppose one could ride to De Panne and take the direct train to Brussels
I think that line is disused or for freight only. I came to the conclusion that it would be much quicker to ride from Dunkirk to De Panne and get on a train there, where you had actually paid for the bike so would be guaranteed to get it on the train with no problem. And obvs riding Dunkirk to De Panne would be useful when riding back from De Panne to Dunkirk the next day, having done the trip from Ostend to De Panne on the Kusttram. Fast riders on a Pinarello could outrace the tram, obvs. Fat old pensioners on steel framed tourers perhaps not.

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
What do you suggest on the lighting front? Will some LEDs be OK, or should I look for sometjing a bit more powerful?
LEDs will be fine, especially if there are going to be a few of us. I'll be using two IXON IQs (not always on at the same time).

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Dell, it looks as if all trains go via Lille, but that there are non Eurostar or TGV options that would allow the bikes to travel. The down side two ( lille and tournai) or three ( Hazebrouch, Lille, Gent) changes and a three hour journey time .
How about cycling to Veurne (Furnes), it's just over 20km. From there get a train to Brussels.
[edit: I guess that's the same idea as going to De Panne ...]

U

User169

Bugger. There are works on the line between Rotterdam and Antwerp on Saturday. Currently, the Dutch train route finder wants to send me via Duesseldorf and Luxembourg!​

I have just realised that for those coming over from the UK that this is in effect an "11pm" start.

You lucky whatsists ^_^ Doing the trip the other way means every FNRttC is a "1am" start for me:ohmy:

You say all the right things:
[bikes] @AgentHilda coming?
[smeus] Yum!
[119km] Perfect! Will sort out final route tonight (may be Wednesday).

119km certainly sounds good and the navigation is easy, the Flemish equivalent of "head down the A23 until you can smell the sea":smile:

The Brussels section of the Chaussee de Gand is, however, seriously shite. I'll see if I can nip out in the morning and adapt the route I had in mind so as to get us to the station at Berchem Sainte Agathe.

Top Bottom