Flemish NRttK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

We left the canal at one point and went by the roads and by a chance in a million found ourselves in a village I knew well, having spent three hours trying to find the campsite. So I was full of confidence as I bravely led across the bridge and down a side road and into a trading estate before my confidence waned slightly as I couldn't remember which alleyway to ride up. I managed to conceal my total loss of faith long enough for the right alleyway to turn up and lead confidently back on to the canal path.

Very convincingly so! I liked the home-made sign we saw a bit later: "idiots this way" - the way we'd just been; "cyclists this way" - the way we we now going after retracing our steps having missed the sign the first time around.

2440901 said:
Nothing to do with retirement Mmmmartin, its a bank holiday.

It's a work day here :sad: (my excuse for not having filed a full report)

First up huge huge thanks to S-C for having got the whole show on the road. I have for ages been thinking I should ride to Bruges and then gone "but when will I find the time". S-C's answer was brilliantly simple: at night:laugh: . And for a first attempt it was a fine piece of work: a simple route, a very nice half way stop and an even better end of ride cake stop.:thumbsup:

As mmmmartin has said it is certainly worth thinking about a repeat and so here are a few, random as always, thoughts.

May Bank Holiday is a good time to do it, as it gives time for travel and recovery.

Grand Place is as good a place to start as any, picturesque, lots of cafes and plenty of cops to keep an eye on the bikes. (i was the last to arrive and there were indeed a coupe of cops stood by the others bikes. it seems they were keeping an eye on a "youth' on a mountain bike who was cruising the Place.)

Cycling culture shock: I'm so used to brussels cycling that I forget just how different it is when coming over from teh UK, not just being the other side of the road, which is complicated enough until all your reflexes adjust, but the whole package including different signage, priority from the right and the use of cycle lanes (we in effect did 130km on cycle paths).

Tram lines: horrible things to be avoided as much as possible, hence the traffic light infested, but tram free route out of Brussels. A look at google maps suggest a a couple of ways of minimising proximity to tram lines.

Numbers: following on from the above, the more the merrier becomes a relative concept. Belgian law says 15 or more cyclists together is a group: you no longer need to use mandatory cycle paths but you should have designated "road captains" with orange side lights; groups of 50 and more must have an accompanying car fore and aft. So a group of around 20 would probably be large enough to ride on the roads, small enough to fit in the cafes easily and easy enough to spead out if tramlines are encountered.

Route: from Gent onwards we have it (almost) nailed. Brussels to Gent does the job but a few tweeks could give us more countryside and fewer houses of ill-repute.

In short: FNRttK 2014: bring it on^_^

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Agreed. As an aside, I think I would stay in a hotel in Ostend, or perhaps Dunkirk, for a night, and make a bit more of a trip of it. Those endless beaches of infinite sand were amazing.
EDIT The road from De Panne was closed for a section of the Four Days of Dunkirk cycle race, this being the last section.
http://www.4joursdedunkerque.org/
So if this takes place mext year it might be good to stay and watch a bit of it. And - no wonder we had some strange looks as we rode through Dunkirk, although we were first we didn't look much like road racers. Well, I didn't, what with my Enormous Carradice. DZ and AH looked just the part.
EDIT
As a further aside, the timings are interesting. I do remember being impressed with the rate of progress. DZ and Agent Hilda did about 170k including the bit to Dunkirk at the end, from midnight to about 2.30pm. Take off the hour spent on the tram, and that is 170k ridden in 13 hours 30 minutes. We had three stops, in Ghent, Bruges and Ostend, each of about 45 minutes. Call it 170k done in 11h 15 mins. My odometer says an average speed of 18.4kph. I can't remember a single hill of any description. Johnny Foreigner really does have some lovely cycling country. And no beersies were taken.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, I'll start with this..

...bike racing is rooted in the Belgian, and particularly Flemish, character at a depth that no Italian sport can begin to approach. Watching a bike race in Flanders one can feel oneself entering the soul of a people..........

well, that did it for me. I bought my first road bike from Don Louis in Herne Hill. The Don spoke English, Italian and Flemish. The wheelmaker spoke Welsh and Flemish. Kelly spoke Flemish, and Tommy Simpson's first big victory was the Tour of Flanders. So....give me the heads of your children to ride on! And then...Belgium appeals to the anarchist in me. In what other country do the police go on strike and get sprayed with water cannon operated by the fire service? What other country fails to find itself a national government for a year?

Having said that, one can get down with the workers, Flemish or otherwise, any time one cares to, but Eurostar had a deal on first class tickets, so Susie and I fetched up at Saint Pancras, handed over our bikes and swanned up to the platform feeling pretty pleased with life, a pleasure undiminished by being told that we had an entire first class carriage to ourselves. As in royalty. Well, almost. A dynamic young business type entered, and confidently plugged in his 'laptop' computer...but, when the impossibly chic Eurostar stewards inspected his ticket, he was instructed to go to standard class 'at least three carriages from this one'. How we sneered!

We passed on the complimentary grand vins, but enjoyed the smoked chicken salad watching Kent flash by at three miles a minute, and polished off our dessert under a lowering Flemish sky. Our bikes were in the same carriage, so we collected them with a minimum of fuss and made our way to street level to find

a) rain
b) cobblestones
c) hippies
d) drivers on drugs

a) and b) make for a tricky ride, and so we walked to the Avenue de Stalingrad, and ever so carefully set off. I yelled 'so far, so good' to Susie, a half second before a car came straight at me on the wrong side of the road. So....we tiptoed (or the cycling equivalent) our way to the Grote Markt where, drawn by the magnetic powers of Martin's Thorn bicycle frame we found the others knocking back coffee in De Gulden Boot.

We were (magnicent) seven. Els (our Valiant Leader), her sister Chris, Martin, Baltic Express, Delftse Post, Susie and I. The rain stopped. The sky cleared. We set off, gingerly, BE leading us through a maze of cycle paths, traffic schemes, road works and absolutely out of their skull pedestrians (but no hippies) on to the Asse road. The traffic thinned out. The wind dropped to nothing. The road was well lit. And the cycle paths.............

I'm going to have to get to this sooner or later, so I might as well get on with it. The N9 is an old trunk road that has been turned in to a two-laner. To the outside of the road there is parking space. To the outside of the parking space there is a cycle lane. Then there is (sometimes) a footpath. So we intrepid seven found ourselves riding down an eight foot wide cycle lane that dodged left, right and sometimes joined the road, which sometimes had a bus land down the middle of it. All of which betokens a degree of social organisation that I'd not expected of Belgium's anarchists. Now other people's democratic decisions are not my concern, but I tell you this - if some clod comes up with the same stupid plan for the A23 through Streatham, they're going to get it in a big way. Because what it does is turns towns in to ribbons of houses, hosing out the centred organisation that makes a town a town. It also makes for tricky cycling - you'd not want to be going down that cycle path past a thousand car doors, weaving over kerbs during the day time - and I found the irregular surfaces and the left-right-right-left stuff a bit wearing. And I did wonder how Belgian cyclists got to be any good. And then there's the brothels. Cycle paths bring brothels.

But, there you have it. Asse was asleep, and Aalst was even sleepier. Gent, at 33 miles was wide awake. We were invited in to a house of ill-fame rammed with Euro-Popsters, but Els, sensibly opted for the 't Hoekske cafe, and all was going well until........

The sound of a chute is a dreadful thing. When it's the one you love, it's completely horrible. Susie got her front wheel in to a tramline and that was it. She laid on the floor, terrified. Martin, sound chap, took charge, and we got her to move each limb in turn. All was well, albeit painfully well. She came to the cafe in tears, but, despite being clearly frightened, decided she wanted to go on. And so we headed across the town centre, found ourselves a canal and turned left...........

I'd rather wipe my arse with a badger than ride down a towpath in England. They're narrow, bumpy and bespattered with the remains of anglers - at least I think they're remains because they don't so much as flick an eyelid as you negotiate your way around their rods and baskets and crazy thermos flask collections.......but in Belgium, the towpaths are smooth, three times as wide and, better yet, devoid of anglers. And so we swanned along, not too fast, not too slow, just about right, and Susie gained her confidence back, bit by bit, and rode all the way to Brugge which has streets paved with cobbles and the kind of retro-shmetro tea room open for early morning coffee that, if it were in Broadway Market would have the locals wearing those sixties piled up hairdos and sports jackets and, wait a minute...........whoops. We'll never know.

Fifteen more miles of towpath, the mist hanging like a blanket over the canal, the sun on our shoulders and Flemish chain gangs (actually not too chainy) riding up and down in matching kit. Oostende is a tricky item to navigate, but Els led us, unerringly, to the Caruso cafe where some people ordered lemon meringue pie, cloudlike in its consistency. Me, I had a ham and cheese sandwich, and damn good it was too.

Martin, Susie and I said our goodbyes and boarded the tram. I'd been looking forward to this, but with Susie in pain it was a lot less fun that it might have been. We got off at De Panne, failed to find a taxi, failed with the bus, and set off for the port of Dunkerque, some twenty one miles distant. The wind was now in our faces, and getting stronger, but, cometh the hour, cometh the man....... Martin led us to the border and down a gentle road, made gentler by being closed at one end for a bike race, and then through Dunkerque, which is no easy thing. Slowly, slowly we traversed 'honest' suburbs (as in you wouldn't want to live there) and then across a plain inhabited by a vast petrochemical works, to the ferry terminal. Susie was absolutely all in when we reached the ferry, having cycled a hundred and three miles, seventy of them after crashing. We drank Coke and were glad of it, slumbered on the ferry, and then Martin led us, and, indeed, the rest of the cyclists out of the terminal and in to town and up to the station. Susie and I thanked him (but not nearly enough) and we jumped on a train that eventually got to Victoria, and another to Balham. Susie said no to a taxi and did the mile ride home with some difficulty. Prosecco, prawns and smoked salmon (from Waitrose, which, as we all know, is a workers co-op) dulled the hurt a little, and she slept until eleven this morning, waking much the better for the rest.

And that's the story of our ride. I'll spare you the bit about getting busted by the fuzz at lunch today, and content myself with the most heartfelt thanks to all my riding companions, not least Els for organising the thing and being so unutterably cool that I knew I had to go, Baltic Express for getting us out of Brussels and Martin for his care and patience on the road from De Panne.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0oKUpIqwek

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do Eurostar and Belgian trains and trams take tandems? Next early May bank holiday is looking free - we've worked out that the Isle of Wight, though gorgeous in the sun, is not tandem-friendly. Mile-munching on Belgian canals, though - very tandem friendly.

Tim Hall

Sound marvellous. Two things: How is Agent Hilda's lippy? I trust no cosmetics were damaged during her chute. And riding through Ghent, yet no mention of Browning (or Sellar and Yeatman).

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You would get a tandem on the Kunsttram but if you did, not many passengers with it. And trains would be tricky. Unless you had S&S couplings, which would make life much easier...... This also applies to the Dover train, obvs. You might want to look at a car to Dover and across to Dunkirk then driving to, and parking in, Ostend, before getting a train to Brussels. That might be easiest and cheapest, not least because it avoids the difficulty of buying a ticket for two people but one bicycle....
And I can confirm that aforesaid lippy was as pristine after the fall as it was before, which is all one would expect, obvs. And that as I moved towards Agent Hilda who was at that point, lying with her head inches from a high kerbstone and being very silent, unmoving and possibly not even breathing, I did not wet myself. Nearly, thobut.

ceepeebee

Veteran
Ghent will forever be the home of cake-pie (cake, in a pie crust! Amazing) and an all nighter on the corsendonck the likes of which will never be seen again for me. Next year though, I'll definitely make time for this trip and possibly try and find that late night bar with the bitterballen and the booze.

Agent Hilda

The Babe
Brussels - Bruges - Oostende - De somewhere - Dunkirk

We decided to do this ride at the last minute , so I didn't really have time to think about the implications of riding at night in another country. If I had I might have asked a few questions

I reckon I was fairly sensible to suspect that it was going to be a challenging night. It normally is, but the plaits were plated and I thought whatever, I am going to fit right in and it will all be ok. At least its not cold and raining!

I have never been to Brussels. It was raining when we arrived. That was a bit of a shock. We were met by a bunch of ne'er do wells with dogs when we came out of the station. The kind of dogs that you use as weapons. The drivers were in small cars going very fast. It was dark and noisy and foreign. It didn't make a fantastic first impression. - but then the same could be said of the day we arrived in Milan, or Barcelona, or Madrid (Del had pneumonia and our hotel was beside a noisy sex club).

To get to the meeting point (in a very loudly neon lit gothic cobblestoned square) we slowly meandered down cycle paths with Del shouting hole! bump! hole! kerb! every five seconds and stopped to ask some random Brussolians the way to go.

First impressions? Charming friendly people when not behind the wheel of a car. But then the same could be said of many a Londoner.

The gang were in a sweet old beer/coffee shop on the square looking fairly spiffy and up for it. So I thought well I have my own personal tail end Charlie All Upper and he can look after me all night ! Hah! All mine!!

It was a miracle we got out of Brussels at all and that miracle was called David who led us safely through these extraordinary road traffic islands and out onto the main M road or something. I'm not very good at doing directions or knowing whether we are going North or South but I guess we were heading for the sea as that is the whole point!

There is a lot of sex in Belgium which I'm not used to. But the roads are fairly flat the moon was just perfect and I loved spending time with Els, Chris, David, Mark, Martin and The Boss, although I found the cycling hard.

I have never had an accident on The Rube before. In fact I have never had an accident before or a broken bone. I cracked some ribs once when I fell over a fence drunk, but that was a long time ago, and we had been drinking whisky and meeting criminals. I have been fantastically lucky! I fell off going up a mountainous hill once on Lon-Jog but landed on a grass verge and it was fairly sunny and I needed a bit of a lay down as it was. I think I have a rather flimsy frame of mind made up for by strong old bones and a nice helping of peachy fat to cushion the blow.

This time it was a real shock. I was pretty tired, it was the middle of the night after all, and I had found the cycling up to this point quite trying, meandering cycle paths with lots of turns, bumps and ons and offs, not quite knowing which direction the cars were going to come from, it was all a bit scary.

We arrived suddenly at the half way stop and I shot to the right across a tram line (or so I thought). Bang! I hit the ground hard and it instantly really hurt! All over! My first thought was oh shoot I have broken my hand as my fingers were all bent. Then I thought, all these years I have been scared of falling off my bike but in the end it isn't so bad! Then I heard Martin saying don't move. I thought my head is ok. My legs are ok. I just need to get up. And then I remembered to start making a big old fuss. Oh boy its hard to get up after a big shock like that as your body is shaking all over. My arms and hands were really painful.

I wanted visible evidence too but you don't get that until the next day - yuk its an ugly old mess . Dammit I thought! They are all going to think I am making a right fuss about nothing now! So I went in the toilets and had a big old weep. Took a nurofen had a cup of tea and got back on the bike.

I didn't call my Mum.

But I wanted to.

I felt bad for Els, its horrid having someone crash on your ride I am sure.

Cycling is always easier than walking anyway so it was ok.

Dawn was so lovely - I can't tell if this is going to be the Year of The Dawns or not yet, but so far we have had good ones. Just as lovely were the little lambkins and the mist rising off the canals. We got a tiny bit lost but that extra 10k was really pretty and the roads super empty and the company farking great.

I didn't see an owl, a hare or any exciting new wildlife, I saw sheep and lambs, some lovely white cows and a lot of very sweetly smelling club cyclists pounding the small roads by the canals. One had just had an off and if I say so myself was making the most awful fuss - there wasn't a mark on him - what a girl!

In the end it was a really pretty quiet sort of ride. Not a huge amount of chatting but just riding along breathing it all in and waiting for the warmth to arrive.

I honestly felt dreadful after breakfast and was beginning to think I had a crack in my elbow as my hands were going blue and everything was swelling up, but I think this was just from the vibrations.

We went on a tram which would have been nice if I hadn't been feeling so dreadful. We tried to get a bus to Dunkirk but the driver was not for turning and in the end I had to get on The Rube and cycle the last bit. That was quite tough but Del was bloody brill husbandwise keeping me amused and letting me sit on his tail.

I must say I found the whole taking the bikes apart bit to put into the taxi cab secretly very funny but it would have been rude to laugh out loud.

Martin was just fab putting up with me and he's not married to me so doesn't have to. Thank heavens for him actually who was a total brick as well as a genius reader of garmin and I was really complaining about the road to hell we cycled on to get to the ferry, it went on and on and on and on. But you know, Dell told me some great jokes, i'd like to share them with you but they were about explosions and road signs and that would be horribly indiscreet of me and I simply havent had enough to drink.

Thank you Els for organising the ride it was quite an adventure!

Now who is going to join me in persuading Jenny NOT to give up cycling?

Agent H

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Photos are ready, and mixed feelings report to follow.

IMG_0426.JPG

mmmmartin

Random geezer
May 5 is bank holiday next year. For your diaries.

It was a fantastic experience. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it.

Susie is as hard as nails, and certainly harder than she thinks she is ..... rode a hundred miles without sleep, mostly in the dark, all in foreign lands, mostly after a bad crash, and still cheerful at the end, and no lippy was smudged. Never a bad word spoken. Chapeau. Not many blondes can match that. Well, apart from that Schwarzenegger bloke. And what does he know about cycling in Belgium? Eh?

Susie is as hard as nails, and certainly harder than she thinks she is ..... rode a hundred miles without sleep, mostly in the dark, all in foreign lands, mostly after a bad crash, and still cheerful at the end, and no lippy was smudged. Never a bad word spoken. Chapeau.

This x1000

Top Bottom