Flew a helicopter today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's no way I would go up in a Robinson R44 or R22. They have problems with "mast bump" that's inherent in the design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Helicopter_Company

I wasn’t aware of this, but clearly survived. Interestingly there was a note on the control column saying “no low g push-overs”.

november4

There's usually a robinson helicopter and a sirrus plane in the monthly crash reports in the states.

I'd love to learn to fly but would chose fixed wing as have more chance to get down safely if mechanical problems.

Great day though, Spitfire would be the perfect day for me

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wasn’t aware of this, but clearly survived. Interestingly there was a note on the control column saying “no low g push-overs”.

That notice on the control column will probably save them a good few million in damages from expensive law suits but it's no substitute for well designed engineering.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Amazing, How did you find the paracute jump? My mate has done a few and said that it felt exactly how you would expect it to feel. I wouldnt dare do the jump as I think I'd black out. I'd have a go at flying the helicopter though.
It looks great. Will you continue with it?

The parachute jump was amazing. Freefalling for a reasonable time was just as I hoped it would be - an awesome rush. Followed by a calm serenity under the canopy, which I was given control of for a while.

I’d love to do more helicoptering but it is very expensive! Perhaps the odd lesson here and there rather than targeting the PPL. It’s a bit like golf - really tricky to get right and I want to try again to keep improving. The consequences of getting it wrong are a bit more serious though!

D

Deleted member 26715

The parachute jump was amazing. Freefalling for a reasonable time was just as I hoped it would be - an awesome rush. Followed by a calm serenity under the canopy, which I was given control of for a while.

Mine was just a 5,000ft (I think) static line jump so as you leave the plane the parachute opens, you have a one-way radio to somebody on the ground. When the parachutes were handed out there was only 1 left, the guy asked me how much I weighed at the time I was about 13.5st, he said you'll be okay with this one you'll just come down a bit slower as it's for somebody up to 16st.

Jumped out of the plane, first thing was all the cords were twisted so had to swing legs to untwist them which was interesting, then started floating down, fantastic experience, but because the chute was so big I was only coming down slowly, others that had jumped out after me were overtaking me, the instructor had to get me to steer off the airfield, over the road, around the farmyard & then back over the road onto the airfield just to get me to lose height.

It was brilliant, really want to do it again, but want to do a freefall, but not a tandem, but I was talking to a lad who is just about to leave the Army & is currently in training to be a parachute instructor & told me I was now too old :sad:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It was my semicentenery about 21 months ago and I said I didn’t want stuff, I wanted experiences. A couple of ‘bucket list’ items, things I had wanted to do for decades, were (1) do a parachute jump and (2) fly a helicopter. Both were given as gift experiences and I did (1) last year. Today I finally got (2) done.

I have a few hours of experience flying fixed wing but until a few hours ago had never set foot in a helicopter. I always imagined I would be a natural at it although also imagined it would be challenging. Both turned out to be true.

I had a 40 minute introduction lesson with Heli Air from Wellesbourne Airfield. It was a great experience, there was not too much ground-based stuff and mostly in the seat and getting on with it. The gusty wind was near the limits of what was appropriate apparently and made my first hovering attempts tricky, but I managed not to drop it despite some rather alarming wobbles. It was, I was told, a good first effort given the conditions. Flying at height was easier and much more familiar.

So now I have 0.7 hrs towards a PPL(H) licence apparently! Only another 44.3 (minimum) to go…

View attachment 689784

View attachment 689785

That just leaves flying a Spitfire…. 🤞

My wife treated me for my 60th birthday, i was flying RC Helicopters at the time,. was chatting to the pilot about what the R22 could do, so he did a stall turn, then auto rotated it for a bit, Really good ride,

Jody

Stubborn git
It was brilliant, really want to do it again, but want to do a freefall, but not a tandem, but I was talking to a lad who is just about to leave the Army & is currently in training to be a parachute instructor & told me I was now too old :sad:

Get yourself to Hibaldstow for a tandem freefall. I think you can still do it well into your 70's if you are in good shape

D

Deleted member 26715

Get yourself to Hibaldstow for a tandem freefall. I think you can still do it well into your 70's if you are in good shape
Don't want to do a tandem, I wanted to do solo, but 55 is the upper limit.

As a complete off topic, looking to get a rear wheel trued by somebody on the East of Sheffield any recommendations?

Top Bottom