Flew a helicopter today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was my semicentenery about 21 months ago and I said I didn’t want stuff, I wanted experiences. A couple of ‘bucket list’ items, things I had wanted to do for decades, were (1) do a parachute jump and (2) fly a helicopter. Both were given as gift experiences and I did (1) last year. Today I finally got (2) done.

I have a few hours of experience flying fixed wing but until a few hours ago had never set foot in a helicopter. I always imagined I would be a natural at it although also imagined it would be challenging. Both turned out to be true.

I had a 40 minute introduction lesson with Heli Air from Wellesbourne Airfield. It was a great experience, there was not too much ground-based stuff and mostly in the seat and getting on with it. The gusty wind was near the limits of what was appropriate apparently and made my first hovering attempts tricky, but I managed not to drop it despite some rather alarming wobbles. It was, I was told, a good first effort given the conditions. Flying at height was easier and much more familiar.

So now I have 0.7 hrs towards a PPL(H) licence apparently! Only another 44.3 (minimum) to go…

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMG_6387.jpeg

That just leaves flying a Spitfire…. 🤞

Drago

Legendary Member
Robinson R44?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I was given a parachute jump experience.

But i have a problem with heights. It takes a massive load of mental focus to switch off my fears, even to do abseiling, Go Ape or a zipwire.

So much as I'd love to experience a parachute jump, i think my brain would blue screen. Might switch toba copter/plane flying lesson instead.

I was given a parachute jump experience.

But i have a problem with heights. It takes a massive load of mental focus to switch off my fears, even to do abseiling, Go Ape or a zipwire.

So much as I'd love to experience a parachute jump, i think my brain would blue screen. Might switch toba copter/plane flying lesson instead.

You should jump at the chance. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It was my semicentenery about 21 months ago and I said I didn’t want stuff, I wanted experiences. A couple of ‘bucket list’ items, things I had wanted to do for decades, were (1) do a parachute jump and (2) fly a helicopter. Both were given as gift experiences and I did (1) last year. Today I finally got (2) done.

I have a few hours of experience flying fixed wing but until a few hours ago had never set foot in a helicopter. I always imagined I would be a natural at it although also imagined it would be challenging. Both turned out to be true.

I had a 40 minute introduction lesson with Heli Air from Wellesbourne Airfield. It was a great experience, there was not too much ground-based stuff and mostly in the seat and getting on with it. The gusty wind was near the limits of what was appropriate apparently and made my first hovering attempts tricky, but I managed not to drop it despite some rather alarming wobbles. It was, I was told, a good first effort given the conditions. Flying at height was easier and much more familiar.

So now I have 0.7 hrs towards a PPL(H) licence apparently! Only another 44.3 (minimum) to go…

View attachment 689784

View attachment 689785

That just leaves flying a Spitfire…. 🤞

What a brilliant experience!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Amazing, How did you find the paracute jump? My mate has done a few and said that it felt exactly how you would expect it to feel. I wouldnt dare do the jump as I think I'd black out. I'd have a go at flying the helicopter though.
It looks great. Will you continue with it?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Fantastic. You look nails!!!!

pawl

Legendary Member
I did a parachute jump once .ASI was going down I realised I couldn’t remember what the instructor said about pulling the rip cord

I suddenly saw a man flying up towards me at rate of knots I shouted do you know anything about parachutes No said do you know anyone about repairing gas oven’s 🪂🪂🪂

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I live about a mile from a microlight airfield and I'm all but dead underneath the runway approach. Some of the things I see in the sky about my house make kites look substantial. A Robinson is a Pave Low in comparison.

Had a flight over the Lake District mountains a few years ago in a microlight and it was great.

Very tiny cramped cockpit and tge instruments/switches were out of the Ark.

Good fun, even the bouncy landing in a farmers field.

Drago

Legendary Member
Had a flight over the Lake District mountains a few years ago in a microlight and it was great.

Very tiny cramped cockpit and tge instruments/switches were out of the Ark.

Good fun, even the bouncy landing in a farmers field.
My Dad's Socata TB20 Trinidad (G-TIBS) is about as light as I would want to go, and even that has me clenching my buttocks so hard it leaves a ridge in the seat base.

Top Bottom