Flies(and now incorporating fleas). Products to top them with and is it ethical to top them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Can cats catch flies like some dogs can? One of my dogs in the past could catch them and eat them with ease,though the mutt i have now scarpers when they land on him,sending him hiding behind the settee!:laugh:

Yes Lucky can. Cookie on the other hand wouldn't be bothered if he saw a mouse, let alone a fly

On that subject, I was cleaning the outside of our living room window on the weekend, and Lucky must have spotted a fly on the inside of the window from the other side of the room.

Next thing I knew, he had belly-planted the window like one of those 80's Garfield stick on car toys, then slowly slid down the window, much to my amusement.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A pound,i thought they'd be about a tenner! I had to find out how powerful they are so i squeezed the electrical wire thingies while pressing the charge button. Damn,it made me jump! I thought it'd have a tiny amount,just enough to kill a fly,but it was like touching a cattle prod!!:eek: No wonder the fecker crackled and sparked like Frankenstein's monster coming to life!:laugh:

I'm happy to sell ours to you for £8. That would give you a decent discount on your price expectation. ;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some Buddhists allegedly catch them with chopsticks whilst sitting cross legged on a mountain ledge... then release them.
(The Buddhists are sitting cross legged, not the flies, to avoid confusion (or Confucianism))
Yes,i once saw a program where Buddhist monks drank water from streams through a straw,so they wouldn't take in insect life and kill it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow Accy. I thought I was the only idiot that tries to catch flies and mosquitos in a glass to release them outside! I snapped the other night when a mozzie the size of a buzzard relieved me of about a pint of blood. I splatted it on my leg. It had got so much of my blood that Mrs Manatee thought I had cut myself!
Thank your lucky stars they don't carry Malaria like they do here.

Lonestar

Veteran
We have one of the electrocuting rackets. Poundland sell them for err a pound. A little unwieldy in tight corners though.

Oh, and don't wonder "How bad can a charge be from two AA batteries?" Child 2 experimented and it was an unpleasant experience.

You could say,it was shocking.

Thank your lucky stars they don't carry Malaria like they do here.
....yet

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We used to get a lot of flies in the house when I lived on the farm. Sticky fly papers were most effective (though not the most humane way). Fly pens around the windows were also good, and the good old fly swatter.

Regarding the ethics of it. I had this conversation with some colleagues the other day. It seems to be all based on the size of the creature and the perceived threat to our safety. There are some blurred lines though. Most of us are happy to kill bacteria, fleas, mozzies etc. I've never killed a bee, but I have killed wasps. Just because IME wasps will sting a lot more readily and bees only as an extreme measure. Flies aren't really a threat though, unless you count the bacteria they carry. Maybe that's why we don't like them. Same goes for ticks, once plucked out of a dog they are crushed.

postman

Legendary Member
Raid Protector fly and wasp and mossies killer.Come near me and you have had your last meal.Spray anywhere near them,and wow they fly around in circles drop and spin on their backs legs in the air.Gone to fly heaven.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've just got a pair of Button Fly shorts by mistake.
Work of the devil...all flies should be zip.

Oh and all flies should be exterminated.. especially them blood sucking mozzas..

Top Bottom