Flies(and now incorporating fleas). Products to top them with and is it ethical to top them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Anyhow, how are you getting on with the Grisport boots?

pawl

Legendary Member
What a torrid time i've/we've had with those evil fleas over the last few days! Yesterday morning the things were running all over him,especially his groin and bum area. Then someone told me that tea tree shampoo is good for getting rid of them. I looked up about anti flea shampoo (notice i put 'anti' before the flea bit, as my daughter once quipped that fleas don't have hair so why would they want shampoo?:rolleyes:). In most reviews they said it was only a short term measure and it costs too much for what it achieves,so i went for the £1 tea tree shampoo from Morrison's. I lathered my mutt up.then i left the soapy mass on for about 3 minutes,before thoroughly rinsing it off and repeating the process. As i watched the water drain away i saw quite a lot of the fleas going down the plug hole! I've been checking him regularly since his shower and so far so good with no fleas to be seen. That 'Frontline' i put on him on Thursday may have worked also. Anyway,he's now nice and clean, as before he was not only covered in fleas but also their droppings and he'd been chewing himself so much his hair was all matted. He slept well last night for the first time in a few days. Let's hope the scumbags don't reappear!

I put one of the flea collars on my dog.Took the collar off after two days the little swines were having a ball under the collar
Checked the instructions No where dit it say was for breeding your own fleas

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Anyhow, how are you getting on with the Grisport boots?
The boots are fine. I've only worn them the odd time since about last March, as i don't walk as much in summer as summer's for cycling! When worn in warm weather the merino socks and boots are too uncomfy for me. They'll be getting worn soon though ,as i've just been for a short walk in the wet grass while wearing trainers and my socks are soaked!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Fleas on dogs or cats, get frontline or Advocate from the vet or pharmacy. It's cruel not to properly treat a flea infestation on pets

Do you worm your dog properly too,
He had a Frontline dose on Thursday. It seems to be working. I feel for those cats and dogs not treated for fleas,ticks and lice. Sometimes it's because the owner can't afford the treatment,sometimes it's because they just can't be bothered and are happy to see their pet suffer. I also give my dog a worming tablet every 2 months.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
We get flea and worm treatment from the vet.
Tried the supermarket stuff before and it’s just not effective.
We live beside “the moss” where there are lots of roe deer, notorious tick carriers.
Our two cats must spend a lot of time there as when they come home we find wee “spiders” on them (ticks who have not started feeding yet) xx(
They won’t latch on though as the boys are treated :okay:

potsy

Rambler
Never had any success with the collars, nuclear bomb is the only guaranteed cure ^_^

I would get him a flea comb and brush regularly, flush them down the sink/bath.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Never had any success with the collars, nuclear bomb is the only guaranteed cure ^_^

I would get him a flea comb and brush regularly, flush them down the sink/bath.
Is a flea comb one of those that has a small electric charge that electrocutes them on contact,or just a comb with very fine teeth that pick the buggers up,then you have to quickly get the comb and fleas away from the pet before they jump back on him/her?

potsy

Rambler
Is a flea comb one of those that has a small electric charge that electrocutes them on contact,or just a comb with very fine teeth that pick the buggers up,then you have to quickly get the comb and fleas away from the pet before they jump back on him/her?
Never tried the electric ones but 're regular fine tooth ones work well.
If doing it in the shower or with water running you can just flush them away.

Or get a bucket of water and dip the comb in I'd there are any there, quite satisfying seeing them all floating ^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not 100%,but i'm sure i've seen them jump out of water when i've dipped them after capture. They have to be removed as far away from their fellow scumbags asap! I liked capturing them between my thumb and forefinger nails, then propelling them into the gas fire to watch and hear them crackle!!:evil:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'e just had mutt to the vet's. That Frontline stuff was crap. I could've tried other types,but talking to his dog groomer she told me that it'd be cheaper in the long run to get the vet's advice. The vet gave him a droplet on the neck thingy and sold me a spray which is guaranteed to fumigate my flat. 35 quid for both, so not bad and not as much as i'd thought it'd be.

Top Bottom