Flip stem or shorter stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I'm getting pain in one of my elbows/bicep and think it is being caused by being too far away from the hoods (normal riding position). I've upped mileage recently including a 100 mile ride recently causing me to notice any problems with my riding position. I've moved the saddle forward already but am thinking of flipping the stem or getting a shorter stem. Any suggestions? - Giant Defy 2 2011.

Moving the saddle forward is not the antidote for a bar which is too far away. Get a shorter stem AND flip it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ahh OK - why?

Because the saddle should be set up in relation to the pedals.

If you push it forward you will have to push it up to maintain the correct leg extension as you will be closer to the bottom bracket (note the seat tube is angled) and going by the horizontal crank test, your knee will no longer be above the pedal spindle. Overall what will happen is that you now have a larger drop to the bars, so it will essentially just cause an additional fit issue.

screenman

Legendary Member
The Giants we have tended to come with the hoods quite a long way around the bars (if that makes sence) Just try rotating the bars slightly to bring the hood closer to you. Have a ride like this and if it improve matter take the time to move the brakes further up the bars and level the bars off again.

Our Giants have all been changed to compact bars, which has made them nicer bike, I feel or should I say we feel.

defy-one

I bought an adjustable 90mm stem to replace the standard 110mm on my triban. Made a great difference.
You should get one of these
uploadfromtaptalk1345236394789.jpg

Only £19.99 from my lbs. Allows stem to go from 0-60 degrees

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I like all of that, thanks. I'll try screenmans suggestion in the morning on a short ride but I really like d1s 90mm super stem and will get one of those if necessary.

overlander

I would try flipping it first, I done that on my ridgeback panorama and it does make a surprising difference. If that fails then buy a shorter one.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Flipping it to point up effectively shortens it .... or rather moves the bars back.

As I found to my cost. I had a bike fit in the shop prior to ordering and it was decided that a 120mm "flipped-up" was what I wanted.
After I'd had the bike a while I decided to move progressively to a more aggresive position....after moving spacers it was time to flip the stem down... all of a sudden although I could deal with the lower height I was too stretched out and had to swop to a 100mm

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I went out this morning with the intention of flipping the stem and doing a 12 mile circuit to test the fit. Managed to take off the bars and unscrew the 2 side bolts but found the top cap impossible to shift to the point where I began to foul the head. S**t. So I left the stem where it was (no choice) and instead rotated the bars back a bit (screenman!) to bring the hoods closer and went off for my ride. It was certainly better (good news) but time will tell if it is enough to cure the problem. I still felt myself reaching for a point a cm or so in front of the hoods every now and then so might try the stretching thing. Any tips on shifting the stuck top cap if I feel the need to flip?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The top cap should not be done up very tight, you only tighten this to remove play from the headset, it needn't be done up tight since you will clamp the stem up to 5-7 Nm once the headset has been set, it should be nipped at most :S

Not being funny, but are you turning it the wrong way? Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A fair bit I imagine since there is no other access point. If you are stuck with this, I would ask a LBS to have a look for you.

Top Bottom