Flip stem or shorter stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overlander

I have never ever came across one so tight how old is the bike? Oops just seen its a new giant, so next question who built it?

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Its 10 months old and was built by an internet company with a poor reputation. I will get my lbs to have a look next week and change the stem if necessary.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I guess if your not used to bikes your natural instinct would be to horse that bolt up.

Never tried it, but I would imagine if you do the bolt up tight, then the bearing will become overloaded and the steering will no longer be nice and free.

If the steering is free, then they must have clamped the stem first before over tightening the top cap down.

ayceejay

Guru
A decent LBS would normally do this for you on the purchase of a new bike. The alternative is a shed full of stems. I am not sure if Kingston still has that boot sale but stems were a very popular item. I solved my version of this problem with a Deda zero stem that is what it says and is the same (flat) which ever way you mount it.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Update - Prof Google provided advice on getting the top cap off and a combination on wd40, a better tool and undoing the stem clamp bolts and turning the steerer a bit first did the trick.

I've flipped the stem and done a new diy bike fit (the saddle needed moving slightly) and plan to do a 2 or 3 hour ride in the morning to see how things feel. I may not have the bars in the right position and may need to rotate them a bit one way or another or may even still need to shorten the stem but will know more tomorrow. Doing 100 mile sportive in 3 weeks so I want it to be just right. Thanks for advice.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I've had my scott 4 weeks now and was getting a bit of lower back pain took it back to the shop I bought it they where fantastic done a few more checks and changed the stem on the bike to a shorter one done 30 miles yesterday was much better

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Did 40 miles today and my arm was great and it was much more comfortable all round. I do think the bars are now a bit high though so I have ordered a 90mm stem and will play around with that to get the correct reach but will aim to have the bars and hence the top of the hoods a cm or two lower.

overlander

Remember to take into account of the angle of stem you have currently. It will be about 6-10 degrees as you can get 0 degrees. You do not want to end up with a 90mm with zero degrees and you will end up back where you started.

Top Bottom