Floods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Lord of the Teapot said:
Just be glad that all this rain didn't fall as snow. :biggrin:
It did above on the hills above Cheltenham last week.

It took drivers 7 hours to get the 30 miles from Swindon to Gloucester last friday evening.

linfordlunchbox said:
It did above on the hills above Cheltenham last week.

It took drivers 7 hours to get the 30 miles from Swindon to Gloucester last friday evening.

* snigger *

LLB

Lord of the Teapot said:
* snigger *

7 hours in freezing conditions, with small children in the cars must be fairly daunting. I drove up onto the hill not knowing that the snow had settled, and there was total chaos up there with thousands of vehicles stuck. I'd say it was mostly the HGVs which caused the bulk of it as they hit the slopes and ground to a halt as the heavy rain had washed the grit away.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Went for a walk round York with my camera yesterday:

The Ouse as it was yesterday:
S7000700.jpg

Fancy a drink outside the King's Arms?
S7000699.jpg

Still, plenty of room at these Sheffield Stands...
S7000728.jpg

This is fairly normal, and a good couple of feet below the worst floods in 2000 - in fact it was a couple of inches higher last week (when I hadn't got my camera with me), had gone down and back up again. But it's raining today, and has apparently been raining to the west, where the Ouse drains from, so I expect it'll go up a bit more...

When my cousin from Canada came to stay, some years back, he couldn't believe that we let a river behave like this. I guess Canadian rivers do what they're told...

Withnail

Ah, the Kings Arms, one of the finest pubs in a city chock full of exceptional boozers. Until recently I lived in York and rowed for York City - I seem to remember that the river was like this for weeks at a time all through the winter, and quite a bit in summer too.

gbb

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Welney Washes - frequently flooded roads these days. means those living in Welney & area can have a 40-50 mile detour to get to & from main towns in the area. And the flooding can last for months!

Theyre pretty much like the Nene Washes (just beyond Peterborough)i guess Waffly...natural floodplains. I want to get out there and see. Last time we had serious floods, Edernell, on the edge of the Nene Washes...looked like an ocean :smile: Water...as far as the eye could see.

surfgurl

Thanks for the pics of Glastonbury. I can see the Tor from a railway bridge on my commute. It always makes me smile.

When I was at school in York (before they finished building the flood defences), we used to be able to go canoeing on our playing fields every year. Occasionally we'd go and play in the turbulent water under Scarborough Bridge.
If I remember right, the King's Arms used to remain open, even when it was three feet deep in water. But I could be wrong about that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
When I was at school in York (before they finished building the flood defences), we used to be able to go canoeing on our playing fields every year. Occasionally we'd go and play in the turbulent water under Scarborough Bridge.
If I remember right, the King's Arms used to remain open, even when it was three feet deep in water. But I could be wrong about that.

No, I believe it did stay open in the past, with the staff wearing waders and piggy backing customers in. Not sure if they do that now, they have flood gates and sandbags on the lower door (maybe they keep the other door open, that's further up the sideroad. And they keep their barrels in the attic, not the cellar.

Just been down again, and it's at much the same level. Only today we have a reporter from Breakfast News prancing about in the water down by the Lowther pub. Whereas York residents are all shrugging and walking by. I caught sight of Leeds on the news last night, that seemed much more unusual.

It wil be interesting when the water goes down to see what happens to what looks like a telgraph pole that's been washed down and stuck in the railings outside the pub...

Chris James

Über Member
girofan said:
Smug song, "The Folks That Live on the Hill."

I live on a hill. Unfortunately all the roads out of my village involve going through a dip! We are fine in our house, its just difficult actually leaving the village to go to work.

Yesterday morning I drove through about 18 inches - 2 foot of water - a bit of a close run thing. A few minutes after I drove through it another vehicle broke down thereby clocking the road completely.

The same thing happened last June and the winter before that.

Top Bottom