1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floods

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by skinny man0903, 18 Jan 2008.

1. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I'm surpirsed you have time to be posting on a forum, with all the ark building that should be going on! :biggrin:

2. OP
    OP
    skinny man0903

skinny man0903 Guest

lol.
    I was cycling through the Somerset levels and the fiields well in parts you couldn't see land just water.

3. The Wye has burst its banks near where I live. Ross on Wye looks like an island.

4. longers

longers Veteran

We must be due a dry summer then eh?

5. Yeah, right.:biggrin:

6. simonali

simonali Über Member

We can only hope!

7. Jaded

Jaded New Member

We can only hop.

8. As I was travelling back to the midlands from newcastle the other day many of the fields next to the railway line were under water, some was 3- 4ft deep, as you could only see the tops of the trees sticking out. Saw some people's houses VERY close to floods too. They must be worried sick.

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Being a grumpy Northerner (well, only by address;)), I'd say those look exactly like the areas around the Ouse look for at least half the winter, and sometimes in the summer too, every year I've been up here. Whole fields out at Naburn go under, and then the water gets trapped when the river goes back down.

10. LLB

LLB Guest

The road into Maisemore from Gloucester is now closed due to flooding

Police are warning that it is normal for this time of the year for this amount of rain. What is not normal though is the volume of water in the ground giving this flood water nowhere to go !

11. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Welney Washes - frequently flooded roads these days. means those living in Welney & area can have a 40-50 mile detour to get to & from main towns in the area. And the flooding can last for months!

12. girofan

girofan New Member

Smug song, "The Folks That Live on the Hill."

13. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

Just be glad that all this rain didn't fall as snow. :biggrin:

14. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral Staff Member

People often ask me if we are flooded here in Worcestershire. I have to resist the temptation to respond that yes, we are, and that there is no dry land now between Malvern and Bredon.