fly lost in eye - must wear glasses!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

A fly flew into the corner of my eye today - tried to get it out, but couldn't, so now it's lost round the back somewhere. Does anyone know what happens to things that get lost round the back of an eye?

Lesson learnt - must wear glasses from now on.

I'd seek medical attention if I were you.

ASC1951

Guru
They come out eventually. Try holding your eye open under a shower.

There again, what happens to them when they bump into a sundew?

Davidc

Guru
It can only get as far as the ring of muscle, but if it's well in get someone you trust to take a look as they may be able to get it out with a cotton bud tip or similar, if not go to your doctor or A&E.

I've had contact lenses get back there and had to have them removed. Trouble is any scratching makes it feel as if there's still something else there.

I don't always, but the best thing to wear is a glasses/goggles that wrap round and effectively enclose your eyes. Glasses don't keep everything out.

ASC1951

Guru
I... the best thing to wear is a glasses/goggles that wrap round and effectively enclose your eyes.
+1. These days I need corrective goggles anyway, but you only want to be hit in the eye once by a bumble bee with a combined closing speed of 60mph. Nearly had me off.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The fly's probably long gone. The irritation can persist for a while, depending on the insect and its defence mechanisms.
I don't get on with specs that are too enclosed. Most of the time I just rely on the peak of a cotton cycling cap.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The eye is pretty good at surrounding irritating foreign objects with a layer of mucus. I suffer often with stray eyelashes but always in my left eye. You'll probably find the fly lodged in a corner, pull your eyelids away and rotate your eyeball around. You can pick it out with a finger tip or a cotton bud. Make sure your hands are clean because sticking dirty fingers in your eyes can give you a viral or bacterial infection.

The other option is a good rinse with Optrex.

My late Irish pal used to wear contact lenses and one day he announced to me that he had lost so many of them he reckoned there was a big collection lodged around the back of his eyeball! Much hilarity!

Night Train

Maker of Things
What with flies in eyes, swallowed flies, inhaled flies maybe I should wear a proper helmet!
helmety.jpg

:giggle:

postman

Legendary Member
This happened to my mate on monday just before Eccup Reervoir.Long black thing it was.Took me 10 mins of water from his bottle and a tissue and my finger .He said it felt like a log.Try blowing your nose and washing the eye out.

OP
OP
J

joanna

fortunately, the fly moved around to the front of my eye - so managed to get it out - glasses will be worn from now on - this isn't the first time this has happened, so I should have known better.

Globalti

Legendary Member
TK Max is your friend for cheap glasses - pop out the lenses and get an optician to glaze them with cheap plastic to your prescription or in clear or slightly tinted plain plastic.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
when you're belting along singing at the top of your voice (as i do) the last thing you expect is a tonne of midges lol!
needless to say, in my eyes, up my nose and swallowed for good measure.

also a bee hitting you at speed is REALLY painfull

Top Bottom