Fly6 buy old v new version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

I've been thinking about getting a Cycliq Fly6 rear camera/light.

Local shop has the older version with the rubber band mounting. I saw online that there's a new version with a Velcro band instead. Apart from minor tweaks to the battery life, I don't see any other major changes listed on comparisons researched online.

Was the rubber mount so bad that I should get the newest version, or are there any other improvments that mean the newest one is a must? I'd like to support my LBS, but not if the older version is a dud.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran

gaijintendo

Veteran
The new ones can't be pannier mounted (with 3d printed adapters).
Also the rubberised inside of the new straps goes bare fast, but it still seems to stay put.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've been thinking about getting a Cycliq Fly6 rear camera/light.

Local shop has the older version with the rubber band mounting. I saw online that there's a new version with a Velcro band instead. Apart from minor tweaks to the battery life, I don't see any other major changes listed on comparisons researched online.

Was the rubber mount so bad that I should get the newest version, or are there any other improvments that mean the newest one is a must? I'd like to support my LBS, but not if the older version is a dud.

I've had the 2nd gen Fly6 for a couple of years now. It's main problems are the plastic mount that the unit slides/locks into and the rubber ladder straps used to secure it to the seatpost. The rubber can snap although only one of my straps has done this and has remained intact since even though it's now adjusted to be tighter. The plastic mount that receives the light can either split vertically down the middle or, as mine has done, simply spread wide so that the camera rattles about in the grooves. It's a tiny amount that wouldn't be a problem if it were a light only but as it's a camera, the vibration ruins any footage.

I steady mine by wrapping a velcro strap around it and the seatpost. This obscures the LEDs but I've never used it as a light anyway, having a dynamo and another backup (COB light) on the saddle rails.

Over time the image quality degrades, this is because the plastic lens protector eventually gets tiny scratches on it - no matter how carefully it's handled.

Using it solely as a camera I get about 5 hours' use in summer, maybe a little over 4 hours in winter. The quality of footage isn't brilliant but has been enough to secure police action on bad driving when I've reported it.

How much are they asking for the 2nd gen version?

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

How much are they asking for the 2nd gen version?

I can probably get it for the same price as online, about $180. I really only need it for the camera as I've already got a plethora of lights.
Mostly there's not too much conflict with cars but I've had a bit of abuse lately and some close passes.

Jason

I'm sitting on the fence regarding the fly6 as well. Will wait until October and then bite the bullet (just in case they release a better version)

edit: didn't sit on said fence for very long :-/

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can probably get it for the same price as online, about $180. I really only need it for the camera as I've already got a plethora of lights.
Mostly there's not too much conflict with cars but I've had a bit of abuse lately and some close passes.

That's the same price as the 3rd gen version. In fact, I can see the 3rd gen available on Amazon for £96 (AUS$157) and would go for that.

sight-pin

Veteran
I've been using the V (latest version) for a month or so, I was a little worried about it just being supported by a velcro strap, but it's holds firm and in place fine.
The image stability is quite good considering i seem to ride on some rough roads etc. All in all it's not a bad camera IMO.

GJT

Über Member
Has anyone successfully attached this to a seat stay and still got good footage?
I don't have any seat post available due to saddlebag.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Has anyone successfully attached this to a seat stay and still got good footage?
I don't have any seat post available due to saddlebag.

I am fairly certain it needs to be seatpost diameter on account of the moulded rubber pad on the device. Maybe you could Whitley down a 27.2mm section of a mop handle?

I have my fly6 basically resting on the seatpost clamp, and the smaller Ortlieb saddle back under my saddle, and I quite like it. It might be slightly letterboxed, but not much, and I think it looks more discrete. I run it as a continuous backup light, and I'd say it still works fine.

At one point I was imaging a stem attached to the seat post, attached to a bit of broom...

Last edited:
Top Bottom