Flying back with a bike from Alicante airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomplodder

Über Member
Hi,
I am thinking of taking my aluminium road bike on a short leisurely cycling tour in Spain for my first time.
Its just at the wishing/ hoping stage at the moment so not finalised any details yet, but would pack my bike in a Halfords type cardboard bike box and be flying from Manchester to Barcelona, Rues or Valencia airport and then cycling south and eventually flying back from Alicante airport, can I please ask
Is an aluminium road bike sturdy enough to travel by plane or is it just steel bikes
Where could I get a box or clear plastic bag at or near Alicante airport for return bike travel
Are there any good flight booking sites that I can just book a return single flight when I’m ready to do so
Many thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My friends regularly take their bikes touring abroad. They put them in a thick gauge clear plastic bag they then fold up the bag and reuse it for the return journey. They have never had issues/damage and they think this is due to the baggage handlers been able to see what they are handling so they are more careful.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360336192&kpid=5360336192&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sJaOkmbVN_dt|mcrid|67090840382|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360336192uk|mslid||&mkwid=sJaOkmbVN_dt&pcrid=67090840382&prd=5360336192uk&pgrid=17507340182&ptaid=aud-140997647114:tongue:la-173801331662

More helpful advise here.
http://travellingtwo.com/resources/flying-with-a-bicycle-in-a-plastic-ctc-bag

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
I have used a bag like that many times. But agreed that using a cardboard box out and the plastic bag back helps a lot.

I always remove the rear mech and cable-tie it in place (leave chain on)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is 10 years since I took my bike out through Alicante airport so perhaps things have changed now but at that time my bike box would not fit through their x-ray machine. I used to have to unpack the bike and put everything through individually and let the guard manually search the box.

The one time I used a bike bag, my new £2,000 bike got thrown out of the plane's hold onto a pile of suitcases and dented. (I saw the baggage handlers do it! I was sitting in a window seat just above the hold door and saw the bag fly through the air below me ...)

We flew out of Alicante last summer. Were on Flybe so removed the front wheel and tied it to the frame and taped a plastic bike cover we got from the pound shop on, you're supposed to remove the pedals but I broke the multi-tool trying to get them off so they stayed on. We had to hang around a while at over size baggage until a Flybe rep turned up to ok it, but on the plus side they didn't charge us the 40 euro each they were supposed to.
Unlike some others, Alicante airport is quite easy to access by bike.

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate them and also sorry about your bike damage ColinJ, hopefully things have improved now at Alicante airport

Top Bottom