Flying out of Amsterdam Schiphol airport with a bike (luggage)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItFellOnDeafEars

Has anyone ever flown their bike out of Schiphol airport packed in a CTC bag? Or is the €25 bike box service available at the airport compulsory? I've tweeted Ryanair who say CTC bags are fine whilst the Schiphol twitter account say their boxes are compulsory for bikes going on planes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'll be going through Schiphol with a bike soon but not from so I guess it won't affect me but I found this:
https://www.warmshowers.org/node/82595
I wouldn't trust a plastic bag to make your bike immune from damage.

steve71ni

I have flew out of Schipol a number of times, most recently 2014. In every case I had to buy a cardboard bike box from the airport. They would not accept bike in plastic bag.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm flying into (and out of) Schipol in 2 months. We'll be bringing our bikes in bike bags. Is it right that there is something to store these at the airport for a small fee? Is there a designated area to build your bike on arrival with any tools or track pump or is it a case of bring everything you need and find a corner to put everything together again?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm flying into (and out of) Schipol in 2 months. We'll be bringing our bikes in bike bags. Is it right that there is something to store these at the airport for a small fee? Is there a designated area to build your bike on arrival with any tools or track pump or is it a case of bring everything you need and find a corner to put everything together again?
Read my link.

Top Bottom