Flying with bike tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Later this month I'll be heading out to the US for two months. When I'm there I'll be buying a bike, so I'm also planning on bringing my saddle pack including basic tools etc (multi tool with screwdrivers, allen keys etc, chain tool).

As I only have 90 minutes to catch my connection in San Francisco I was planning on flying carry-on only, so my tools etc will have to go through security with me.

A quick Google search of the TSA and GOV.UK website seem to indicate my tools are fine, but has anyone had any delays/complications when doing this?

Cheers,
HovR

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would thought you might have problems as screwdrivers etc could be classed as a offensive weapon. Why dont you pack them with the bike? Just to be sure.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
I would thought you might have problems as screwdrivers etc could be classed as a offensive weapon. Why dont you pack them with the bike? Just to be sure.

It'll cost me $300 to fly with one of my bikes, and since the primary purpose of the trip isn't cycling I figured I'd just buy a bike there and sell it on when I come to leave (which will also save me the hassle of trying to make a 90 minute connection whilst carrying a bike!)

The GOV website says that "Tools with a blade or shaft longer than 6cm" are not allowed in carry-on luggage, indicating that those which are shorter than 6cm are allowed?

e-rider

crappy member
It'll cost me $300 to fly with one of my bikes, and since the primary purpose of the trip isn't cycling I figured I'd just buy a bike there and sell it on when I come to leave (which will also save me the hassle of trying to make a 90 minute connection whilst carrying a bike!)

The GOV website says that "Tools with a blade or shaft longer than 6cm" are not allowed in carry-on luggage, indicating that those which are shorter than 6cm are allowed?
When I went to San Francisco the security was very tight - they didn't even like my poster tube! I think you could well run onto trouble with tools and they might take them from you - depends if you don't mind losing a few?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looking at the cabinet displaying the items that had been confiscated from hand luggage at Porto airport recently, I think you may run into problems.

If you intend to buy a bike, perhaps gentle persuasion might get you a tool kit as part of the deal thus avoiding the variability of security and customs. If not, you could consider the cost of the tools as the price of biking in the US.

deanE

If you intend to buy a bike, perhaps gentle persuasion might get you a tool kit as part of the deal thus avoiding the variability of security and customs. If not, you could consider the cost of the tools as the price of biking in the US.
Sounds sense to me. I would have thought you could easily lose 90 minutes standing at a customs bench whilst some jobs worth goes through your tools one by one. I was held up at Exeter recently because my clear resealable plastic bag for “liquids” was too large.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Just buy some tools and a bag in the States and sell them with the bike later.

Think I'll be doing that then. A quick bit of Googling shows that REI sell a saddle bag filler toolkit including pump for a little under $30.

Cheers guys

MarkF

Guru
I had a multi-tool confiscated in Newark, I'd left in in my carry on bag by mistake, all tools under 6" too............

Top Bottom