Flying with Brompton in B&W foldon.box S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
You still can't fly USA with lithium bike batteries because they exceed the 100 Watt hour limit. I was hoping to add a Switch package to my Brommie for my ride around Ireland but it looks like I need to just get fitter.

Have you tried approaching Swytch directly and asking them if there's any way that if you bought the full kit for your bike in the US, you'd be able to 'borrow' a battery for Ireland?

Shy bairns get nowt - as they say up North.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
Have you tried approaching Switch directly and asking them if there's any way that if you bought the full kit for your bike in the US, you'd be able to 'borrow' a battery for Ireland?

Shy bairns get nowt - as they say up North.

I have but they're a bit busy with their latest release right now. They didn't say NO! but couldn't give a positive YES! either. Getting fit isn't a bad option, especially when riding harder gives you the right to drink more Guinness. (Insert drunk cyclist emoji here)

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
The Polaris folding bike pod semi-hard-case is within limits (but often a bit hard to get hold of and not as robust as a true hard case): https://www.polaris-bikewear.com/polaris-eva-folding-bike-pod-black-one-size.html
I just got back from Lejog and bought one of these cases while I was in the UK. Thanks for the info - it works great. I just pull the saddle and pentaclip off (The Brooks is a tight fit). Shipping to the US costs almost as much as the case so I had them ship it to my Mum in Southampton and I grabbed it while visiting her.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks for the info - it works great.

Good to hear! Best practice tip: When flying with it put a baggage strap around it in a way that the extendable handle cannot be pulled out any more. The handle is a weak spot and airport baggage handlers tend to use it to lift/throw/whatevetheydo the box. It bents quickly and then the box is useless. A baggage strap prevents this from happening.

Schwinnsta

In the USA, they open the case and inspect. They don't always put things back in the same way. That has been my experience. That is why I switched from B&W hard case to Vincita. It is harder to get that one wrong.

Top Bottom