Flying with RyanAir. Bike issues...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kano66

I'm flying with RyanAir on the 30th.
Taking me and my bike to Barcelona for 6 days.

I have flown with RyanAir before and am aware of how tricky they can be, but never with a bike. Only ever took my BMX years ago.

I have managed to get an Edinburgh Cycles bike bag on loan. I was originally planning on taking a card box like we used to, make as small as possible and pack the bike with tubing and foam.

I have paid for 15kg hold luggage, and was planning on getting my bike through as this. But my question is, with me now taking a proper bike bag, are they gonna try and make me pay for a bike when I get to the airport?

My bike weighs about 7kg - 8kg. It's light!

What's everyones thoughts here?

Scruffmonster

Über Member
They're going to charge you as much as humanly possible. By far, the worst airline with regards to cycle policy.

Generally worth paying for a BA flight as the bike goes free and often equates to a saving once taking hidden charges into account.

There's probably a 1% chance of getting your bike accepted as regular luggage. I'd advise on not chancing it, booking it as a bike in advance.

Alun

Guru
Read the terms and conditions on their website, but I would imagine they'll charge you for a bike!
Not sure I'd trust a bike bag for protection when flying.

OP
OP
kano66

kano66

Damn... This company should be banned!

Bikes should be considered good for the environment, an offset to all the damage these airlines are doing!

You really think it's 1% chance..?

Alun

Guru
Can you fly without your bike and hire one when you get to Barcelona ?
I have read about the bike not being put on the same flight as the owner, despite being booked and paid for. It has then arrived the next day.

OP
OP
kano66

kano66

No, my bike is a special bike, a proper track bike/lopro/pursuit..... I'd be gutted if I couldn't take that in place of some shitty rusty thing...

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Damn... This company should be banned!

Bikes should be considered good for the environment, an offset to all the damage these airlines are doing!

You really think it's 1% chance..?

It's RyanAir. 1% is being generous. In reality, there is zero chance that they will be nice enough to check the bike as your booked luggage.

For that £100 cost, why not take your pedals (if need be), and hire a bike for a week. You'll easily find a rental place.

carolonabike

I realise it's probably too late to switch but we travelled to Spain with two bikes using Easy Jet earlier this year and they were great. £25 each way for an additional 20kg. The combined weight of the bikes and boxes pushed us over the 20kg but they didn't charge us any extra.

OP
OP
kano66

kano66

Hi Scruffmonster, if you seen my bike you would know why i want to take it with me...

tumblr_mavmen4Yjx1r3ipf9o1_500.jpg

Carol on a bike... I would have taken easy jet if they were available..

So is it £50 each way if you pre book and £60 if you pay in the airport....??

endoman

where are you going to ride that in Barcelona? Some great spots around to ride, but surely it's a long way to go to ride a velodrome?

OP
OP
kano66

kano66

Hi.. No velodrome (tho that would be ace!)

I plan to cruise the city and just have leisurely rides up and down the front and the back roads etc..

OP
OP
kano66

kano66

I am considering turning up to the airport anyway... and trying my luck with my bike bag....

If its £50 pre booked and £60 at the airport, I think it's worth trying to 'blag' it in..

Thoughts... ??

Top Bottom