FNRttC FNRtC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Great write up 'teef et al, tres bien! Oh, check me coming over all French!

I cant write much as 1, am boring, 2, am very busy with work & Olympic work and 3, I remember very little.

From what I can remember, it was a fab ride down, so thank you Dell and one and all. My first time on that route and oh la laa, very nice.

France, well, Dieppe, I fell in love with in the end, after I understood how the pub/bar/cafe culture worked.. and when me and long mart fully exploited it.. I got rather fatter, but hey, its all good!

Back in Blighty was nice, but it instantly hits you how shocking the car fraternity is in this Country.. 'why is everone so stressed out behind the wheel' and 'these roads are shocking' was all I kept saying to myself cycling home. Along with 'boy, I drunk a lot, my head hurts...'.

Anyhow, big thanks again!!

Oh, yes, Clive, I was the secret cider lemonade drinker, but am fine on fizzy apple juice, and the opening ceremony to the Olympics, from what I saw last night, come this Friday, will be quite amazing. I did hear that to fit within the timescales, a bike show or something was cut.. one day, maybe this Country will put cycling at the forefront. Till then, viva la France!

'Teef, you're slipping.
How could you possibly photograph that so injurious to George's leg and not comment that it was Sora?
:smile: Good one! I might add that the person who collapsed adjacent to us, was not stunned by our suave appearance, but may well have been flummoxed by our magnetic personalities, as it was her Pacemaker playing up. She kept trying to undo her blouse and show me - not that I had any Duracells on me , of course. It was a bit of a weird one, as Andy might agree...but all part of life's rich pageant. There is a bit more yet.

Anyway, the sun was beating down as we wandered North East to the rendezvous bar...perfect timing too!
Except that my French friends were nominally an hour late...may have been more. Never mind, the day's adventures had given us a lot to chat about - I liked the way the big wheel had cast its shadow across the race road - the sweeping shadow unperturbed by the passing peloton was a rich sight to see.
Dieppe 068.jpgc.jpg

The Norway fans were chanting 'Edvald' 'Edvald', 'Edvald' Edvald', continuously - and their enclave was in plain sun. They know how to support their countrymen, that's for sure!
Dieppe 029.jpgc.jpg

Calm before the storm.
So that's what we chatted about until the arrival of my friends Doron and Patrick. We had a few pints and then decamped (after saying a hello to Sahar and Miranda - as previously mentioned) to Le Timbre Poste. I keep plugging this Basque restaurant and tonight, at least Andy would be in for a treat. Doron works for RATP and knows his way around - it was a relief after employing Shank's pony all day, and we arrived in no time to Porte de Vanves and 'that place'! Actually, Doron told me he is a friend of Peter Hendy now...and he has accepted an invitation to our wine gig in November. Anyone with anything to say to him - let me know..ha ha!
Andy got to grips with snails, and cuisses des grenouilles avec champignons - c'est necessaire! A couple of bottles of Pecharmont bit the dust and we had a blow out...of the nicest possible sort. It was fun, and the perfect end to a day of Ouiggimania.
The boys wanted me to show a picture of them - for their cycling friend they met earlier in the evening...so:
Dieppe 071.jpgc.jpg

I'm not sure what they were saying to Andy by that stage, but he looked a bit unhappy don't you think..?
All that and a ride back to the Hotel doorstep - thanks to my friends for taking the trouble - I was very proud and pleased to see them.
After yet another immersion in Ibis coffee and various tranches of breakfast, we amassed our stuff and did a slow bimble to the Station, and of course my bar, where we found Patricia the owner in tears - again! Her seventeen year old dog had died at 03:30 that morning and she hadn't slept. Last year, at an equivalent point, Frank and I had visited the bar also...to find Patricia in tears, although last year her Mum had died...the sense of sadness was the same. I'm almost fearful of my next visit there - I just hope things are ok.
She insisted on giving us drinks and Andy was now officially 'one of the boys'!
His plan was to head for familiar territory in Dieppe - the campsite, and I was to dismantle my bike, bag it and amble to Eurostar, which I did. Slept patchily all the way back and let the train take the strain out of town.
Hopefully Andy will check-in here soon as he, Jenny and Stuart were all on the same ferry - then you may get a more accurate version of events!:whistle:
And, finally, thank you for pulling it all together, Simon. I know you take no notice of me whenever possible but, just this once...Well done!
What did I achieve?
I bought tobacco for people - something I have vetoed on all my trips in the past 40 years...
Ate noix d'entrecote Black Angus - another 27 year abstinence screwed up and put in the bin.(Something Doron has been trying to get me to do for years!) Ate salmon too - only 24 years for that one.
Tried a frogs leg...they are just like chicken (albeit a chicken that has 'croaked' :rolleyes:)
Other stuff I'm sure - but best draw a veil over proceedings and let someone else have a go.

Wednesday PS: I have just spent a pleasant 3/4 hour viewing the highlights - worth a watch!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we've tried hard to shake that boy. Left him on a deserted beach, put him in a bathtub with ten large girls from Essex, embarrassed him in front of his friends and now handed him over to the Vikings. And still he comes back for more!

iLB

Hello there
Three thoughts for now, hopefully more to follow

i) Great, great, great- all of it- without exception, even the outskirts of Paris.
ii) Sorry to Stuart and Jenny for not saying goodbye in Newhaven, luckily TMN caught me riding past her house as she got off the train so I could partly rectify that. I would say I was distracted by a young Australian girl who had been to Paris to play bike polo, but there is no excuse.
iii) Left wondering how I can do numerous night rides in relative tranquility, then riding home last night on a pitch black lane on the edge of the Ashdown forest, when all of a sudden a dog of unknown proportions and levels of confinement starts going berserk as I ride by. Scared, never...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anti-Dandruff Softening Shiny?

Benazzi? I can't think of anyone French who has played for Sarries and retired...going to look now:rolleyes:
Yes! He retired when he was about mid-thirties, so he's only a grown up lad now 45 ish?...a photo side by side would have been mischievious, Jen He comes from my Brother-in Law's home town of Ouijda. A big, hard lump he was.

Benazzi? I can't think of anyone French who has played for Sarries and retired...going to look now:rolleyes:
Yes! He retired when he was about mid-thirties, so he's only a grown up lad now 45 ish?...a photo side by side would have been mischievious, Jen He comes from my Brother-in Law's home town of Ouijda. A big, hard lump he was.
Philippe Sella was another Frenchman who played at Saracens, and I have just looked up some others:

Attachments

• 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    106 bytes · Views: 27
    106 bytes · Views: 27
    106 bytes · Views: 26
Top Bottom