FNRttC 4th September to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tadorna

Before last Friday’s ride is forgotten, just a quick thanks for the brilliant event. Coming to London is pretty scary at the best of times when you live in Wales, and riding your bike there at night is strange, to say the least. Although I’m unfathomably rubbish with sleep deprivation, that remains not my main memory. During the first part of the ride I felt a bit like a duckling, frantically trying not to loose my siblings. The best part was dawn and slowly seeing where I was riding. Those lugworm diggers out on the mudflats close to Whitstable in the white morning light were just a beautiful sight.
For some reason I had thought: arriving at 8, breakfast, train, in bed by 11.30h. How wrong was I !! Although I was wilting during those hours with only marginal sleep in the glistering sun –thanks for the photo…- it was a great post-ride session and certainly memorable.
I can’t see that I’ll be able to do the rides regularly, not least because of the rather onerous journey from Wales. But I was told that there is usually a gentle one to Brighton in summer, which sounds tempting…

Cheers, Ruth

P.S. The one thing I did not get is the animosity against cycle racks and panniers. What is the problem? I have been in the firm grips of the Ortlieb gods for decades and would never go anywhere without them. How wonderful is it to have that extra layer, the dry clothes at the end of the trip or after the rain, the novel for the train ride home (not that I needed it on Saturday). And are the panniers really the Achilles heel in my cycling performance? Well. I can think of umpteen other things that would improve my pace. So: Up the Ortliebs! They look great, are indestructible, provide extra visibility and are just goodness all-round.

Tynan

Veteran
good work Ruth, from Wales, blimey?

don't listen to them, tsk, rack and Ortleib here too with all sorts of bits and bobs in case

suspect it's more of a problem with junker commuters but they're too polite to say

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tadorna said:
Before last Friday’s ride is forgotten, just a quick thanks for the brilliant event. Coming to London is pretty scary at the best of times when you live in Wales, and riding your bike there at night is strange, to say the least. Although I’m unfathomably rubbish with sleep deprivation, that remains not my main memory. During the first part of the ride I felt a bit like a duckling, frantically trying not to loose my siblings. The best part was dawn and slowly seeing where I was riding. Those lugworm diggers out on the mudflats close to Whitstable in the white morning light were just a beautiful sight.
For some reason I had thought: arriving at 8, breakfast, train, in bed by 11.30h. How wrong was I !! Although I was wilting during those hours with only marginal sleep in the glistering sun –thanks for the photo…- it was a great post-ride session and certainly memorable.
I can’t see that I’ll be able to do the rides regularly, not least because of the rather onerous journey from Wales. But I was told that there is usually a gentle one to Brighton in summer, which sounds tempting…

Cheers, Ruth

P.S. The one thing I did not get is the animosity against cycle racks and panniers. What is the problem? I have been in the firm grips of the Ortlieb gods for decades and would never go anywhere without them. How wonderful is it to have that extra layer, the dry clothes at the end of the trip or after the rain, the novel for the train ride home (not that I needed it on Saturday). And are the panniers really the Achilles heel in my cycling performance? Well. I can think of umpteen other things that would improve my pace. So: Up the Ortliebs! They look great, are indestructible, provide extra visibility and are just goodness all-round.

Ruthchen! What's with the tiny font?

I take it you're bringing the deckchairs next time, then. Anyway, you don't need a rack for all that. Theboytaylor produced a whole smart/casual wardrobe from a tiny rucksack, Mary-Poppins style.

ilovebikes said:
anyone who was not wearing one wishes they had been...

picture.php

Oh dear. My daughter saw this photo, and immediately said "Ooo, he's fit!" (as in modern youth stylee fit), and started sighing and mentioned about doing a bit more cycling.

Sadly for you Simon, she meant Andy. However as she's only 15½, I told her to banish such thoughts from her mind. You'd better watch out for a stalker on your Facebook profile though. Time to clamp down on her computer time I think, just in case...........

iLB

Hello there
no more amateur stylee chain oil marks now either, will you be making it to boxhill tomorrow?

Top Bottom