FNRttC banned from Gatwick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
That's a disgusting excuse of a reply Dellzeqq-seems private land trumping public use, honest protest and 'terrorism' just creates unwarranted and insidious paranoia.

What is happening to this country?

I don't think that they understand that being unfairly prohibitive (I mean for godsake is having a coffee in the small hours of the night so radical these days?) can sometimes push people to rail against the draconian limits even more.

dellzeqq said:
It is depressing, though, when you consider that the future belongs to people like Amanda.

Don't despair not everyone out there are brainless automatons.

Feel free to publish her email, though she is probably the poor girl at the end of the day being told to email you the bad news - the decision ultimately was made by someone higher up who was too gutless to email you personally.

Shame I won't be able to see the spendid delights of Gatwick on the FNRttC as it's most likely I'll be able to make November rather than this month.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It would be fairly easy to arrange some low-key comedy protests to video for youtube.

I'm sure even on a cycling forum there are enough of us (eco-terrorists that we are, obviously) who fly regularly that we could arrange for a few cyclists to attend the airport to meet us. I don't often fly from Gatwick, but I fly into Heathrow on average twice a month.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ben Lovejoy said:
It would be fairly easy to arrange some low-key comedy protests to video for youtube.

I'm sure even on a cycling forum there are enough of us (eco-terrorists that we are, obviously) who fly regularly that we could arrange for a few cyclists to attend the airport to meet us. I don't often fly from Gatwick, but I fly into Heathrow on average twice a month.

+1 I like that idea Ben - who's up for an impromptou FNRttA?:angry:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hahaha unfortunately I am neither in a fit state for such a last minute pick up as I'm recovering from surgery and my bike was stolen (again) and am painfully waiting for the insurance to replace the bike. Hope you had a good trip- you can't stay away from CC then it seems?!!

Though definitely think there is some mileage in your idea!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bummer chaps. I've no concrete ideas to help out apart from creating a publicity nuisance of yourselves (cycling past Gatwick in orange jump suits might be a cliched but effective little gesture).

For background, you've just experienced the "Theatre of Security". Well worth reading and a good start for references, although slanted to the US, if you choose to take on the BAA.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's no need to protest

where would we rather go?

a) a cafe where the owner is glad of the trade, and has a smile
:angry: a place where there are men with guns

for two and a half years we had a free pass - we went to Tourist Tony's flat, which, let's remind ourselves, was glorious. Remember the Ditchling cake!

We only went to Gatwick when TT was working. Now we have to go to the Cabin Cafe, or Mark's pub, or the Scout Hut. Speaking personally I'm glad Gatwick is off the list. It was surreal, but the Costa Coffee people were grudging, and it that numpty route I found wasn't really up to taking 60 of us.

When the Babe and I got the treatment a few days ago I sort of crossed it off the list. My sadness is that people like Amanda Vango and Mark Turner are prepared to write the kind of shoot about security you see above. For all the stuff people write about government, the paranoia of big corporations is the biggest threat to civil society.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
dellzeqq said:
For all the stuff people write about government, the paranoia of big corporations is the biggest threat to civil society.

I agree with you wholeheartedly there; but won't expand lest this become a P&L!

onwards and upwards to the cafe where the custom is appreciated.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
While on balance, I agree we're better off without them, it strikes me as more absurd than anything. And the whole terrorism thing is bull. Are they seriously arguing that (for example) someone getting off a train at Gatwick station and going into one or other terminal for a cup of tea and a paper is a security risk? Apparently, that's not 'legitimate airport related business', if we take the preposterous missive at face value. Or perhaps they think a Colnago C50 is an Italian semi-automatic :smile: Shame- with all those armed police, our bikes would never end up on Brick Lane!! BAA seem to have it in for cyclists though, as TT posted elsewhere: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20777

They're a commercial organasation. If they don't want you let them be.

If you're so commercially viable, then there will be lots of place willing to stay open to accept your trade. Just let them know you're coming so they can accept this business feast.

Whats the problem?

Cyclists getting shirty for no reason doesn't help anyone.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
cheadle-hulme; surely life isn't and shouldn't be entirely about one's 'commercial viability'?

I think people are objecting to the ridiculous reasoning behind this ie blanket use of anti terrorism laws. Seriously, when people are going for a coffee in the middle of the night does not mean they are plotting to sink each plane in Gatwick-this smacks of paranoia and over control from the airport bods.

That is what people are pissed off about, plus there is also the fact that commercially viable businesses are dominating the landscape due to having the cash to do that. However, we will just go elsewhere and support a cafe that does appreciate the custom.

...reluctantly I have been pushed into P&L territory...!!

Surely people come first right?
So it simply isn't a case of 'cyclists getting shirty' - there are wider implications, legislation etc creeping into unsavoury territories with scant justification...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
strange really, out of all the pit stops used Gatwick has been bottom of my list and I can't say I was ever comfortable in there. But as soon as they tell us we can't, suddenly I feel urges, wish I drank cocoa that's meant to control these things!

well, dont be surprised by anything which happens at the UK airports, I have worked airside at gatwick airport for 13 odd years, and every time I drive through the gates with our truck, we are scannned, the truck is searched, and leave one little coin in a pocket and wow such excitement we get to have a body rub down. and if you make the wrong joke. you are in deep shoot, we have had guys suspended becauce they said the wrong thing.

To be honest it not BAA,s fault its the Goverment, who say what and who can use the airport, BAA would love people to use the cafe's and shops at the terminals, but they are advised by the goverment, that it could be a breach of security.

Those who know the South terminal, will have noticed the Tunnel road under the terminal was closed to normal traffic, and buses, after west sussex council had spent a furtune routing the fastway bus service via the tunnel. because of fear of terroist activity.

Which is further compounded by idiots who think its great to run aound the terminal waving replica pistols, then wonder why they then get arrested and nearly shot by a gun happy mister plod. and the only person they have shot in recent years is themselves during firearms practise..LOL

But saying that I push my bike through the terminal quite regulary when not working and use the shops, and have never been stopped or asked to show my BAA pass.

As we get nice staff discount..

But I have to admit, a lot of people get quite nervouswhen they see Mister Plod with a GUN, because from the many news stories where they have shot innocent people. but guns dont kill it the fool who pulls the trigger that kills.

Just my 2 penny worth

Rassendyll

At The Oval the members used to be allowed to go onto the field at lunch and look at the pitch.

That's no longer possible on the advice of the Met police for security reasons.

So if the members of Surrey CCC are considered a threat to the peace and order of civil society in the middle of a cricket ground, you lot have got no chance at an airport.

As said above... screw them. Airports are horrible places anyway and if they want to make it even more depressing that's their problem.

Top Bottom