FNRttC banned from Gatwick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sorry. I failed. I may come up with some satirical reply, but, for now, this is the message from BAA's 'Customer Services'. Apparently we're a threat to security. Fill your boots.

Dear Mr Legg

Thank you for your further email and I am sorry for any misunderstandings.

As advised in my previous email to you, Gatwick Airport is private property. That said, under Airport Byelaws only those visiting the airport with legitimate airport related business - either passengers, those meeting travellers or delivering goods to the airport - would be at liberty to use the facilities offered here.

As I am sure you will appreciate, the threat to aviation security remains at a high level, and therefore for security reasons we are unable to support your proposed visit to Gatwick airport in November.

To close I am sorry for any disappointment caused but would like to take this opportunity to wish you a pleasant trip.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Vango
Customer Services

In practical terms it doesn't mean a great deal. From March 26th on we'd be using the Scout Hut, and I'll schlep down to the Cabin Cafe next week and see if they can sort us out in November. It is depressing, though, when you consider that the future belongs to people like Amanda.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
:biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
theclaud said:
(quoting smileys doesn't count).

The reason that the LFGSS ride got pulled was because BAA are mortally afraid of a cycling protest - and you've got to remember that Richard George of Plane Stupid used to work for the CTC. So, once they started putting two and two together and coming up with 22 we were on to a loser.

I wasn't optimistic. The Babe and I went in to Gatwick for coffee on our way down to Rye last weekend, and we were given hard stares, told to take the lift up (by the one airport official who had shown hostility to the FNRttC previously), and, when we took the lift down, met by a policeman with a machine gun. The irony is that the Babe is one of BAA's best customers, but, hey, they don't do irony. Only stupidity.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
I wasn't optimistic. The Babe and I went in to Gatwick for coffee on our way down to Rye last weekend, and we were given hard stares, told to take the lift up (by the one airport official who had shown hostility to the FNRttC previously), and, when we took the lift down, met by a policeman with a machine gun. The irony is that the Babe is one of BAA's best customers, but, hey, they don't do irony. Only stupidity.

Perhaps we could time a FNRttC to coincide with her arrival as a passenger at Gatwick, thereby meeting one of their legitimacy criteria above?

Tim Hall

Bum. I can get the smaller edifice if you want for November. And I bet I could find someone to carry out domsetic duties in it, innit.

And they don't seem to publish their by-laws anywhere on the interweb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sadly, being one of BA's best customers butters no Parsnips...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
theclaud said:
Perhaps we could time a FNRttC to coincide with her arrival as a passenger at Gatwick, thereby meeting one of their legitimacy criteria above?
She doesn't use Gatwick. Ha!

I've sent an e-mail to the bods at the CTC, and to the Guardian writer doing the bit on the FNRttC, but, as I say, it's not a big deal. Just a taste of Britain 2009.

Tim Hall

And how many machine guns are pointed if one were to arrive by train and then wheeled ones bicycle to the goods lift, crossing the concourse on the way? I feel I must try this this weekend.

Or better still, arrive by NCN21, take the Gatwick Surprise and then go to catch a train.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tim Hall said:
Or better still, arrive by NCN21, take the Gatwick Surprise and then go to catch a train.
Don't count on it. The LFGSS crew were denied access to leave via the Travelator. And denied access to the toilets. And there were machine-guns aplently. They are greatly afeared.

mike e

Some sort of packed lunch may be in order then...............:ohmy:

Seriously, this is a great shame and I am pleased that I got to visit Gatwick on a couple of occasions to experience what for me at least was a sureal moment of been at the airport in the early hours, miles from home with my bike.

Hope an alternative can be found.........

:smile::sad::sad:

**** them. Can we go to Bognor then? The halfway stop was nice and polite. And do a coastline blast to the Madeira for ellevenses (with those still standing (the Bognor café bar was serving me ale at 09:00) that is...) and then do a mikee style return blast up the A29, down Bury Hill (bigsteev - mega-fast descent alert!!!) and have a few drinks in the Tescos garage on the A24 near Cheam or whatever? :ohmy:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
but, as I say, it's not a big deal. Just a taste of Britain 2009.

Quite. A sort of forlornness increment. It won't change anything, but if you'd derive any satisfaction from the thought of Ms Vango having a particularly busy week responding to a mountain of disappointed mail from FNRttCers, then we shall oblige...

Top Bottom