FNRttC London-Brighton FNRttC 1st Jul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've just had a nap and a plate of magical recovery food (black pudding - it's nature's EPO)

Friday's Brighton night ride was a pretty small affair, only about 25 souls gathered at midnight on the South Bank. Seemingly this was because the Dunwich Dynamo is tonight. All the same nice to meet up with regulars - and there was a handful of new riders. We did a new (to me at least) exit that wiggled through the back streets of Lambeth before popping up in Clapham, from where things were more familiar to Farthing Downs. There were a few light showers. I didn't bother with a waterproof and I never actually got wet or cold.

The Burstow scouts did us proud with sandwiches and hospitality, after which my favourite part of the ride - the dawn part. It was a bit cloudy but as ever the Surrey/Sussex countryside at dawn was lovely. I bailed at the top of Ditchling Beacon and left the Fridays to head off for breakfast in Brighton and headed off to East Grinstead and the train home.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
This is a style of group ride I am unfamiliar with in California. Can you tell us more? How was it organized, is there a route online? Thanks

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is a style of group ride I am unfamiliar with in California. Can you tell us more? How was it organized, is there a route online? Thanks

It's organised by The Fridays https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/ aka Friday Night Ride to the Coast (FNRttC)
We leave at Midnight, typically from London but there are rides from other cities.
As we wend our way the ride leader dispatches people to mark junctions so no one goes off track. There's a back marker who makes sure no one gets dropped, and releases the junction makers from their duties.
This style of navigation means that there's no need for online routes as riders just follow junction marker instructions.
We ride through the night and stop for "lunch" at about 3-4 am. Often we have an organised stop with food. Sometimes its as basic as McDonalds or an all-night garage.
On arriving at the coast most have breakfast and get the train home. Some hardy souls ride home. I did kind of half and half, skipping breakfast and riding back but not all the way home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Might have joined this had I realised it was last night

Beware that the deadline for registration is normally about a week before the ride to get accurate numbers so there is enough food/ the Scouts don't end up with a pile of uneaten sandwiches, I think that varies from ride to ride. (Note I have nothing do with the organisation, so don't trust what I say)

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
So I went the their website. This is brilliant! I'll be in the UK with my Brompton next year. I hope I can jump on one of these rides. I've got the dynamo and everything!

You're supposed to join the club before you join a ride. It's £2 a year. There's an insurance issue in this palaver. There's usually a check that you're a member.

ExBrit

Über Member
Two quid - I'll need a second mortgage :cry:

Top Bottom