FNRttC Christmas Ride and Drinks. Thursday 29th December 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
doh! Not as smart as I thought it was....Pygmalion

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. What does doing her in mean?

HIGGINS [hastily] Oh, that's the new small talk. To do a person in
means to kill them

Tim Hall

Ding! Although I meant this bit:

LIZA. Not a bit. It never did him no harm what I could see. But then he did not keep it up regular. [Cheerfully] On the burst, as you might say, from time to time. And always more agreeable when he had a drop in. When he was out of work, my mother used to give him fourpence and tell him to go out and not come back until he'd drunk himself cheerful and loving-like. There's lots of women has to make their husbands drunk to make them fit to live with. [Now quite at her ease] You see, it's like this. If a man has a bit of a conscience, it always takes him when he's sober; and then it makes him low-spirited. A drop of booze just takes that off and makes him happy. [To Freddy, who is in convulsions of suppressed laughter] Here! what are you sniggering at?
FREDDY. The new small talk. You do it so awfully well.

So London, I'm afraid I can only give you 4 points.

(Pygmalion also has useful words about not walking and taxis, such as might be used at the foot of Ditchling Beacon )

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Sounds good.....

but......

Is that wise for the ones coming from Brighton?? :whistle:

BikeRegister is a National Database so even if your 'pride and joy' is stolen in the 'Crime Capital' of the South Coast :whistle:! If the 'Boys in Blue' come across it on their travels it should find its way home!

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Titus, the Met gave me a thingy to stick in the down tube. Except you can't do that with a Brompton. The PC hadn't a clue where I should stick it (yes, he was too polite). I guess you have a solution ...
StuartG,

Stuart, don't waste your time and throw it away!!! Sadly the signal doesn't pass through metal and actually finding a 'PC Plod' with a suitable scanner is like looking for a chicken with teeth!!!

You are far better off registering your Brompton on the Brompton owners database through the Brompton website.

I would also suggest that you record details of your bike and its frame number using the free registration service on www.bikeregister.com and www.immobilise.com . That way you maximise the chances of your bike being returned to you if it falls into the wrong hands.

On the 29th the Cycle Task Force will be marking bikes with a unique number using a chemical etch and then registering your details for free on the BikeRegister database.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've read about these events on Cyclecop Twitter feed and will make an effort to be there cos it sounds a good idea, esp as it is free!

Tynan

Veteran
All Bar One again?

A whole London full of lovely pubs and you want a souless plastic shithole full of suits and arses

No I won't attend

martint235

Dog on a bike
All Bar One again?

A whole London full of lovely pubs and you want a souless plastic shithole full of suits and arses

No I won't attend

I am actually inclined to agree. We must be able to come up with something better than AB1 at Sh*te Thames.

Tynan

Veteran
a good pub is a thing of joy and there's loads around there, AB1s are a chain of anonymous shops that cater to London workers that don't like proper pubs

Pubs going out of business all over the place and so many people chose to spend there money in places like that
anyway, I'll be at Crock's do at the Castle, get me started on this topic once I've got on the outside of a few decent bitters

I'm not telling anyone where to drink, I just don't understand why anyone with any sense would drink at a place like that unless there no other option

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
With Tynan on this, I think. Reasonably priced soft drink options would also be appreciated (got charged £3.60 for a lemonade in Greenwich a few weeks back...!). There are umpteen pubs in that neck of the woods, and I for one wouldn't mind a further extended pootle to a decent one somewhere else.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the ride is going to All Bar One. End of. For these reasons

1100 people have been sent an e-mail telling them that we're going to All Bar One
It's a splendid end to a ride through the city. We can go across London Bridge, through More London and under Tower Bridge and in to the Shad that way
There's plenty of space to chain the bikes and keep an eye on them
It's close to London Bridge Station, which means that people travelling south, east, southwest, west, north and northeast can get away by train if they overindulge
It's big, with lots of outside space, so if we get rowdy (as if..........) nobody will mind much

Any questions, see me outside.

Top Bottom